Topic: The Black Keys...Chulahoma

How many have you have heard this record?  Its amazing.

The fact that Junior Kimboroughs wife makes an appearance is significant.

Chulahoma is a brand new 6 song ep from the Akron, OH two-piece The Black Keys. Produced and recorded by The Black Keys the songs on Chulahoma were originally written by the late Junior Kimbrough. Dan Auerbach (guitar/vox) and Patrick Carney (drums) have an impressive ability to re-work Kimbrough’s material without sacrificing any of the song’s character. Their music has been described by Rolling Stone as, “…woozy and sometimes warm, the type of emotions you’d expect from frontman, Dan Auerbach, who modulates his cynicism with folkiness…” And Pitchfork said, “The Black Keys may be just a couple of white dudes from Akron, but they seem closer in spirit to something that Muddy Waters himself might’ve considered ‘the blues’ than to any midwestern bar-band’s approximation of it.”
    Chulahoma EP

David “Junior” Kimbrough was born in 1927 in Hudsonville, Mississippi. He worked at the John Deere dealership in Holly Springs for 18 years. On weekends he played guitar and ran “Junior’s,” his club. Unfortunately, Junior died before Dan Auerbach could make the journey. “Junior’s” burned to the ground, but his music and his 36 children are still thriving. Recorded by the band in their own Akron, OH studio The Black Keys epitomize DIY. Chulahoma is a collection of songs that were originally written by the late Junior Kimbrough, reworked and recorded, The Keys capture the very essence of Juniors style better than any other musician today. Roomy and sparse in production the drums/guitar duo fill out every inch of these songs with distorted guitar, drums, and Dan’s soulful vocals.

Recorded by the band in their own Akron, OH studio The Black Keys epitomize DIY. Chulahoma is a collection of songs that were originally written by the late Junior Kimbrough, reworked and recorded, The Keys capture the very essence of Juniors style better than any other musician today. Roomy and sparse in production the drums/guitar duo fill out every inch of these songs with distorted guitar, drums, and Dan’s soulful vocals.

"Rare as it is to come across a band in its prime, at the flaming maximum of its powers, there's no mistaking it when it happens: A sense of inevitability, of necessity even, converges with a sense of surprise, and a fierce, ancient gladness. Wednesday night at Avalon, Ohio's Black Keys reminded a packed house what it means to be on." —Boston Globe

Re: The Black Keys...Chulahoma

36 kids!!!?

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

wow. thats alot of kids.
well, thanks for that review Dino! You've talked about them before, but I never checked them out. I think I need to right now.

peace

"The World misses his music, but I miss my brother."
-Jimmie Vaughan

The black keys are one of my new favorite bands! Thanks for the info about the new cd. I think that most of Joe's fans would also dig this gut-blues-rock band from the midwest. Maybe they could play live together sometime?

Sara K.