Topic: Joe's "Guitar School" section in Guitar One - April '07

Have any guitarists here actually tried playing any of Joe's examples in this Guitar School section?  I haven't actually viewed or listened to any of them, I was just reading the standard notation and tablature, most of it came easy to me, but I have to admit that I was challenged with Figs. 1 and 2.

In order to execute the first finger bends and bending/sliding combinations in Figure 1, I had to grab one of my guitars with 10s (I usually use 11s and I still use heavy bottoms on my strats set up with 10s--for tone) on it and tune down a half step for fear of developing tendonitis!

I consider myself a pretty descent guitarist, but this kicked my butt!  Please tell me I'm not the only one . . .

We should have a support group section here for people trying to learn his music wink

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Re: Joe's "Guitar School" section in Guitar One - April '07

Fretwork wrote:

Have any guitarists here actually tried playing any of Joe's examples in this Guitar School section?  I haven't actually viewed or listened to any of them, I was just reading the standard notation and tablature, most of it came easy to me, but I have to admit that I was challenged with Figs. 1 and 2.

In order to execute the first finger bends and bending/sliding combinations in Figure 1, I had to grab one of my guitars with 10s (I usually use 11s and I still use heavy bottoms on my strats set up with 10s--for tone) on it and tune down a half step for fear of developing tendonitis!

I consider myself a pretty descent guitarist, but this kicked my butt!  Please tell me I'm not the only one . . .

We should have a support group section here for people trying to learn his music wink

We should have a support group for people like me, whom every time I play " The River " on " Rockpalast ", nod my head like "yeah yeah I can do that". Only to hang my head in shame " your such a loser Dave" (lol).

Shred

Fretwork wrote:

Thats funny you mention that because I was also having trouble bending on the high E at the 6th fret with my first finger for that lick in the second example i think it was. I normally play 11s tuned down to Eb on my strat, but I found it so difficult I had to tune it to D. Although then I got used to it and tuned back up to where I had it before. Of course its super easy on my LP with 10s

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

4 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-05-01 09:49:58)

Fretwork wrote:

Hi:

Here's a real dumb question, but is Joe a regular contributor to the lessons in the back of the magazine..??

Guitar One is one of those magazines I occasionally buy, but I normally will only look at the cover - see who's featured and see which songs were transcribed and if I already have them and / or not interested, I will pass on buying the magazine.

But if he's a regular contributor now, then I'm buying every issue now..!

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

Mark, Guitar one is the "electric" guitar spinoff of guitar world. They have a web site and forum. I have monitored Joe's "hits" on that site for a while. The cool thing is the editor wrote that Joe is THE BEST of his generation..so..they deserve supporting..Cathy

Jess,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.  It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who had to tune down to learn this stuff.  It might be a couple more days before I'm ready to try it in standard tuning.  To those who attempt it in standard there should be a warning to ice your wrist and down 800mg of Ibuprofen--'cause you're gonna' feel it.  lol

Mark,
Joe is not a regular contributor for Guitar One, they featured him in the Guitar School section of this particular issue.  Let's hope he will be a regular contributor in the future.

The issue that I was referring to is the one with Eric Johnson on the cover and Joe on the right hand side.  It's the one pictured when you first enter his website.  You can purchase back issues for around $6 through Music Dispatch.

If you dig around there are topics discussing this issue on the forum somewhere.

Dave,
You always crack me up!  I can picture you playing air guitar to Starship Trooper on that DVD!

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

I haven't messed with the lesson yet. But, I find that 1st. finger bends work best for me when I throw my elbow up and away from my body. I pivot off the side of the neck, with the side of my hand, and keep my thumb over the top of the neck. Also, my middle finger usually pushes up against the side of my index finger, helping support it.
    Hope this helps.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

To markgtrplyr: here's a link to a pdf file of Joe's interview in the April 2007 issue of Guitar One.

http://www.jbonamassa.com/add-to-presskit.pdf