Topic: Phoenix

Was no one from the forum there? I'm looking for a review...a "Lynch" if you will....

Re: Phoenix

I've hesitated to reply - not because I didn't enjoy this show, but because I don't have a set list.

But, after just reading the new Newsletter, I had to post my $.02.

This was the first time I saw Joe in a non-bar venue, and I was looking forward to it. The Dodge theater in Phoenix is a great place for acoustics and the size is just right. I've seen a good number of other bands there and always enjoy the venue.

Joe was solo on stage, doing an acoustic only act. Joe wore a suit but sans tie. The event was semi-hi-brow charity event for CASA. The first 3 rows in the venue (referred to as the "pit") were apparently filled with CASA people, most of the ladies wearing evening gowns and most of the men wearing at least a sports coat if not a suit.

Me, I sat in the row behind them wearing shorts, Hawaiian shirt, sandals.

Joe was amazing. I saw him once open a show on acoustic where he beat the crap out of it, and that's basically what he did all night. I love the dynamics that Joe got out of the Takamine. He can play the acoustic as well as any hot-rod electric. It was weird that he was solo - it wasn't as if you missed the band much (don't get me wrong, I love hearing Joe doing the electric).

Joe's just that good. He fills up the spectrum, his intricately woven leads, rhythm, arpeggios, and vocals are just so good that he's a show by himself. Yet, not a freak show like some guitar virtuosos - Joe plays with genuine emotion and his solos have great structure and meaning (vs. others who sound like they're just stringing together riffs, scales, or finger exercises). That's what appeals to me so much - and I've heard a lot of music (I'm 49 years old).

One of the best aspects of the already wonderful show was the little bits of talking Joe did between songs. I particularly enjoyed hearing about the 5th grade girl he made cry - by singing too loud at a Blues in Schools session. He had the audience under his spell - it was too cool!

The ticket prices were more than I've paid for Joe in the past, mine cost just under $150 after all the BS charges. But, I'd pay it again tonight for the same show.

I met a woman who'd driven from Flagstaff (roughly 150 miles) to see the other person on the ticket, Keb Mo. I was telling her about Joe before the start of the concert, how good he is, etc. After Joe played, she said I was right on, she was amazed, and she'd be driving back down in May to see him at the Rhythm Room. I told her I'd see her there!

Thanks, Joe, for a great evening. I only wish there'd been merchandise available, but I guess I'll have to get it in May. (I only have a JB sweatshirt which doesn't get worn).

Randy Morter
Phoenix, AZ

3 (edited by cathysiler 2007-04-19 10:15:45)

Thanks so much Randy. You did a great job. I'm sure there were other Joe converts as a result of that show! You will never be judged here for spelling or grammer (Thank God). We all enjoyed the reviews from our Bonabuddies across the pond and it's been like the day after Christmas,since the tour ended, so thanks for the "gift". Welcome to the forum and keep posting..Cathy

Nice update Randy.  The venue sounds really nice.  It is good to see Joe at venues like you described.

Music is good for the Soul...

Randy, I forgot to mention that you can buy shirts on this site, just go to "JB store". Cathy

Great post Randy.  Sounds like it was a special evening with Joe........just AMAZING.  Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of all things JOE and his rockin' blues.  Thanks for sharing.

Barbara

cathysiler wrote:

Thanks so much Randy. You did a great job. I'm sure there were other Joe converts as a result of that show! You will never be judged here for spelling or grammer (Thank God). We all enjoyed the reviews from our Bonabuddies across the pond and it's been like the day after Christmas,since the tour ended, so thanks for the "gift". Welcome to the forum and keep posting..Cathy

It's spelled grammar Cathy. Your grammar ain't bad though.
According to your gramp...
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

8 (edited by Rocket 2007-04-19 23:30:27)

Excellent ambience you created Randy...or is it ambiance Cathy? OR both : ) ? 
SO, what is CASA?
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Thanks for all your comments.

CASA is an organization that helps abused children - here's their link if your interested.

http://www.nationalcasa.org/

Rocket!! You are a smart A S S!! Butt, in a good way! I can't spell for s@#$! Never could! I have to spellcheck my name!! The saddest thing is I do 2 crossword puzzles a day!! (I can't go too far from my 89yo mother). Anyway, you can bust my chops any time you want. And the answer to your question is both (I think)..................Cathy

11 (edited by Rocket 2007-04-29 13:42:02)

There's a tad of morbidity to your user name, but thanks for the answer to my question &  supplying the link.  Sounds like a great cause to support!  And right on Joe.  One of my pet causes for many, many years has been the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.  Many years ago the President of Ampex (professional audio / recording tape manufacturer) headed up
Rocket

rmorter wrote:

Thanks for all your comments.

CASA is an organization that helps abused children - here's their link if your interested.

http://www.nationalcasa.org/