1 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-29 10:56:36)

Topic: Blues CDs in Stores / Big Responsibility

Good morning:

Here's something that really bothers me.

I was out yesterday for a couple of hours and dropped in at a couple of Best Buys and another couple of decent record stores to check out some other blues cd's (all of my Joe Bonamassa CDs are coming from Amazon shortly).

It was unbelievable - you see row after row after row of pop/rock, hip-hop, rap, dance music - you want a Justin Timberlake cd - you got it - feel like listening to Christin Aquilera tonite - no problem..!!

But if you blink, you'll miss the ONE skinny little section (it's about 6" wide and about 12" long) that constitutes the blues section. And if you're looking for anything other than BB King, for example, forget it - you're out of luck.

I was thinking about this in relation to some comments I saw Joe making about the blues and its status as a uniquely American musical genre.

You know, you look at BB King - he's 80 now and not getting any younger - Buddy Guy is getting up there in age - John Lee Hooker is dead - Albert King's been dead for many years now and you start to think that guys like Joe and many of his peers have this huge responsibility to try and carry on from these legendary players.

I've always thought that guys like BB King, for example, as great as he is, is nothing more than a 'caretaker" of the blues - he was simply carrying on the tradition laid down by guys like T Bone Walker and Robert Johnsonh, who were simply carrying on the tradition set down by guys like Charlie Patton and Blind Lemon Jefferson, for example.

And now Joe and a whole new generation have the responsibility fo taking the blues well into the 21st century. But this incredible music is obviously having difficulties competing with rap and hip hop and dance music, for example.

I'm a banker - I'm in finance. I understand the relationship between supply and demand. And I understand only too well that music stores are allocating tiny little sections of their floor space to blues because there's very little demand for product.

I'm not only a fan on Joe's music, but I'm also very impressed with his on-going work to continue to promote this great musical genre and to try and reach out to a whole new generation of kids to listen to this music.

I swear to God, if my 18 month old son, Brandon, grows up loving dance music - and hating blues, I'm going to auction him off on EBAY  smile

Thanks for letting me vent.!

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

Re: Blues CDs in Stores / Big Responsibility

I hear you Mark, the store down the street is on of the coolest you will ever see. A great selection of all music you can find. They recently rearanged the store, so I go to the blues section. It's not in the same location, I ask the manager for help " It's on the same aisle ". Now I'm like hmm, sure enough it's there. Instead of 3 by 30, it's now 3 by 3. I gotta say I felt a little offended, almost to the point of being personal. I'm in this store ALOT, it was like "guess you dont want me back". Thank god they have Joe in the ROCK section!

Shred

I hear what your saying. There are a lot of great young players out there playing blues{traditional electric} and more rock blues as well. there just is no big time exposure for the genre. This topic has been on the forum in regards to radio airplay/exposure and the lack there of.I think it will take some kind of national hit record by someone{joe} to bring a new audience and bring back those who have strayed from buying cds to to lack of intrest. Personally since I discoverd joe it has opened a door to a ton of other great artists I never heard before. SRV did this back in the 80's. We [blues/bluesrock] lovers have been waiting for someone to take his place. Everyone here obviously fells joe has the ability do do it.I thought SILT could have been a crossover record to appeal tp both rock and blues fans, but it did'nt get there for whatever reason. I have my fingers crossed that his new cd will be the one. good news he still has youth on his side, and is bulding a grassroots following that may break out any time.record stores [independent] are going by the wayside and the big box stores only carry limited supply of nationally popular artists.music buying is going to the internet.I dont know if that helps or hurts the blues.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Mark, you are my music soul-mate!!! I come from the same perspective!!! ! At 58 (may15th), legacy matters. Here are a few thoughts: The "blues" has certain musical standards, modes etc, but then it gets fuzzy. And rightfully so! "Rock and Roll" is also a vast category and equally vague. Looking back to when there was comparatively a small number of choices, it was easier to finds good music. Now, with cyberworld, the choices are mindblowing!!!  What is called Rock today is missing the "roll". That form, in my opinion, has shifted to the "Blues". And, of course, there are many "purists" (ignorants) with narrow definitions. But, most of them are old people like me. So, I'm in the battle with you to meld music together and foster the future of "the blues". The Best Buy in my town has put rock/blues together. What matters most is that they stock Joe's music. I also read an article recently that the future of music sales is going to be on the internet. I also belong to 2 Blues Societies and feel it gives me a way to push for "equal time". Honor the past and help the future. Finally, just hope your son "feels" music. My 3 grandchildren are teens. Each with different taste, but it does include Hip-Hop. As long it's not degrading I have to let them find their own way. They do get exposed to "good music" when they visit. And, they don't hate it!! Keep your spirit.....Cathy

What gets me is my new students who play 'Guitar Hero'. . . they come into my studio and want to learn that new "Sunshine" song (Sunshine of Your Love).  I then explain to them that it is not a new song and that it is from Clapton's Cream days, which segues into more classic rock/blues and Joe songs.  It just goes to show you that if kids are exposed to this music, they will and do appreciate it.

The worst is when students ask, "Who is that guy?" pointing to my Hendrix poster on the wall.  Before I explain to them, I usually mess with them and tell them that he is my brother.  One of my students recently went to Guitar Center for strings and the salesman asked her who her favorite player was.   She responded, "duh, Joe Bonamassa" and the salesman asked her why and she said, "He's gotta be good, 'cause he's all my teacher talks about."

My student's are always making me smile.  Other than teaching, I really don't know how else to get them exposure to the great music out there.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

soul-less mainstream pop is a trend, and trends go out of style.

the blues may never be at the mainstream level, but it will never go out of style.

7 (edited by gsj 2007-04-29 13:59:43)

Educating your kids (I'm a dad too) and your friends and family sometimes feels like you're swimming upstream with one hand tied behind your back when it comes to music. The television has so much to answer for....too many Pop Idol 'reality' shows which make every drunken karioke wannabe think that anyone can be a (much overused word coming up...) 'star'. The truth is that fads and fashions come and go but genuine talent will always stay the course....always has and always will. I have no doubt that Joe and those with his talent and comittment will continue to fill venues in years to come......and more importantly will pass the flame to the next generation. I work in a guitar store and had on my Bonamassa Blues Rock t-shirt on Saturday. Two young lads came in to by a distortion pedal (I guess they were about 13 or 14 years old) and I heard one whisper to the other..." he's wearing a Bonamassa shirt....cool"...so there is hope smile

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

I kinda think the blues is 21st century...Huey Lewis & the News sang the  heart of rock 'n' roll's still beating...20 some years ago.   Well the blues is THE heart of rock 'n' roll in my rocklopedia.  I say the blues has had  major, deft and not so deft humans' hand-skilled surgery and is better than ever! Makes the  artificial heart live up to it's definitive descriptive name-ARTIFICIAL... The blues (all variants, vintages) have much more heart and soul than all that high selling fluff / poopola being mass crammed to those who gotta be faddish... my opinions only.. MOve the dang CD's from Bon Joki and Michael Dolton to the small soundtrack section (might take 5 friends and 6 trips with 5 CD's per person each trip, but....)
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

It really get's me too, Best Buy, around here has no Blues, they have maybe a few from BB King and a half dozen other CD's and that's it. FYE same thing, little to none and when you ask about a Blues album you get funny looks and the "we can order it for X amount" more. I do have to give props to Barn's & Noble and Borders, both carry a lot Blues and have a decent selection. The problem with them for me is that their 50 miles away. So, I order all of my Blues just about on line.

10 (edited by Michael 2007-04-29 18:01:43)

I Personaly don't think there is need to worry , cause music like this has always been in the minority and to get it past the media moguls who pedal there own money making puppets ,  is only down to the artists and the fans of , to promote what they believe in , if their belief is strong enough they will succeed , like imagine what B B & Eric have been through to get where they are today , genuiene talent will always shine , look back to the late 60's and while the beatles and the stones ruled the roost , still Led Zeppelin & Cream hendrix came thru ... and thank god for that (by the way their's rumours circulating that the Mighty ZEPPELIN are gonna reform for a tour ...... GEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZUSSSS !

About Blues cd's in record stores , unless you go to a big city store you ain't gonna get a large selection of diverse blues players from around the world , thats where the world has changed and evolved in the music selection/listening/choice .... yep Internet , it has made music quite literally Global ... Choice .... , there are hundreds of new young talented blues/rock players (many of them mentioned on these pages) and by that medium they have become known to us by the simple click of a button , which as music lover i can only be thankfull for and embrace technolgy .......... so is there a need to go up against madonna timberlake U2 , yeah it would be nice to go into a record store and see many blues artists on display , i'd like to think so but it's not a necessity , will timberlake still be filling the shelves as long as BB King .. i think not ........ all music has its place cos its entertaining someone & thats what we all listen for to be entertained and make us feel good .

Don't Worry about the Blues , she's  been here for a long time and will outlive us all , still going strong and will adapt to the music in her own way , and with people like JOE KWS SARDINAS DUARTE CUMMINGS & young guns like SAYCE DRONEY CHANTEL McGREGOR STONEY CURTIS SCOTT McKEON & many more its as healthy as its ever been as will always be here as music fads come & go

Genius will always shine through

......................... michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

michael*lynch wrote:

I Personaly don't think there is need to worry , cause music like this has always been in the minority and to get it past the media moguls who pedal there own money making puppets ,  is only down to the artists and the fans of , to promote what they believe in , if their belief is strong enough they will succeed , like imagine what B B & Eric have been through to get where they are today , genuiene talent will always shine , look back to the late 60's and while the beatles and the stones ruled the roost , still Led Zeppelin & Cream hendrix came thru ... and thank god for that (by the way their's rumours circulating that the Mighty ZEPPELIN are gonna reform for a tour ...... GEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZUSSSS !

About Blues cd's in record stores , unless you go to a big city store you ain't gonna get a large selection of diverse blues players from around the world , thats where the world has changed and evolved in the music selection/listening/choice .... yep Internet , it has made music quite literally Global ... Choice .... , there are hundreds of new young talented blues/rock players (many of them mentioned on these pages) and by that medium they have become known to us by the simple click of a button , which as music lover i can only be thankfull for and embrace technolgy .......... so is there a need to go up against madonna timberlake U2 , yeah it would be nice to go into a record store and see many blues artists on display , i'd like to think so but it's not a necessity , will timberlake still be filling the shelves as long as BB King .. i think not ........ all music has its place cos its entertaining someone & thats what we all listen for to be entertained and make us feel good .

Don't Worry about the Blues , she's  been here for a long time and will outlive us all , still going strong and will adapt to the music in her own way , and with people like JOE KWS SARDINAS DUARTE CUMMINGS & young guns like SAYCE DRONEY CHANTEL McGREGOR STONEY CURTIS SCOTT McKEON & many more its as healthy as its ever been as will always be here as music fads come & go

Genius will always shine through

......................... michael

I hope you're right.

I'm thinking that 20 or 30 or 40 years ago, young black kids would be sitting in their rooms with guitars wanting to be like their "guitar "god" heros like BB or Albert or Robert Johnson. Now they're wanting to be Snoop Dog instead.

It's funny, but alot of the greats of the blues didn't really get their just rewards until a few white British kids - Clapton / the Rolling Stones / etc - starting pay homage to them. And then white audiences in the USA started to pay attention to these incredible musicians who had been in their backyard all along.

I don't know - I guess I'm just cynical as hell about the times we live sometimes.

I look at a guy like Joe - who I suspect works his **** off 260 to 300 days a year for years to get his music out - and some commercial / soulless singer will perhaps make more money and get more fame and attention from appearing on American Idol.

These times we live in are all about style - and very little about substance..!

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

Redhouse wrote:

It really get's me too, Best Buy, around here has no Blues, they have maybe a few from BB King and a half dozen other CD's and that's it. FYE same thing, little to none and when you ask about a Blues album you get funny looks and the "we can order it for X amount" more. I do have to give props to Barn's & Noble and Borders, both carry a lot Blues and have a decent selection. The problem with them for me is that their 50 miles away. So, I order all of my Blues just about on line.

LOL - when I ask about a blues album - particularily if the salesperson is really a young guy / woman, they'll give me that quizzical look and point me to the R & B section.

I'm on Amazon for everything it seems now - books / cds - you name it..! And when I'm looking to purchase a cd for someone who I'm not too familiar with, I'll usually rely alot on the online reviews, particularily the ones from the people who really seem to know what they're talking about. 

Glomming onto Joe was a combination of seeing / hearing him on You Tube and then reading alot of the reviews on Amazon - maybe alot of them were written by people here - which were glowing.

Mark

Rocket wrote:

I kinda think the blues is 21st century...Huey Lewis & the News sang the  heart of rock 'n' roll's still beating...20 some years ago.   Well the blues is THE heart of rock 'n' roll in my rocklopedia.  I say the blues has had  major, deft and not so deft humans' hand-skilled surgery and is better than ever! Makes the  artificial heart live up to it's definitive descriptive name-ARTIFICIAL... The blues (all variants, vintages) have much more heart and soul than all that high selling fluff / poopola being mass crammed to those who gotta be faddish... my opinions only.. MOve the dang CD's from Bon Joki and Michael Dolton to the small soundtrack section (might take 5 friends and 6 trips with 5 CD's per person each trip, but....)
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Rocket:

I liked your reference to Huey Lewis - it reminded me alot of Muddy Waters famous quote that the "blues gave birth to a form of music and called it rock and roll".

Mark

gsj wrote:

Educating your kids (I'm a dad too) and your friends and family sometimes feels like you're swimming upstream with one hand tied behind your back when it comes to music. The television has so much to answer for....too many Pop Idol 'reality' shows which make every drunken karioke wannabe think that anyone can be a (much overused word coming up...) 'star'. The truth is that fads and fashions come and go but genuine talent will always stay the course....always has and always will. I have no doubt that Joe and those with his talent and comittment will continue to fill venues in years to come......and more importantly will pass the flame to the next generation. I work in a guitar store and had on my Bonamassa Blues Rock t-shirt on Saturday. Two young lads came in to by a distortion pedal (I guess they were about 13 or 14 years old) and I heard one whisper to the other..." he's wearing a Bonamassa shirt....cool"...so there is hope smile

GSJ 

I agree with several of the points you make in your post, particularily the one that refers to Pop Idol reality shows and 'star". I wonder if Andy Warhol had any inkling 40 years ago when he said in the future, everybody will have their 15 minutes of fame.

That's what those shows feel like to me. You look at a guy like Joe who's been paying his dues the time-tested, old fashioned way by doing hundreds of gigs every year for alot of years now and if that wasn't enough, he's spending his time off to educate kids about the blues and somebody like Clay Aiken, for example, will make millions and enjoy a degree of "fame" normally reserved years ago for somebody who really earned it for what - a few weeks on American Idol..???!!

I liked you anecdote about the two kids referring to the Joe Bonamassa t-shirt as cool - I agree with you - there is some room for hope..!

I don't know - maybe I'm like that Brian Wilson song " I Just Wasn't Made For These Times".

Mark

gary wrote:

I hear what your saying. There are a lot of great young players out there playing blues{traditional electric} and more rock blues as well. there just is no big time exposure for the genre. This topic has been on the forum in regards to radio airplay/exposure and the lack there of.I think it will take some kind of national hit record by someone{joe} to bring a new audience and bring back those who have strayed from buying cds to to lack of intrest. Personally since I discoverd joe it has opened a door to a ton of other great artists I never heard before. SRV did this back in the 80's. We [blues/bluesrock] lovers have been waiting for someone to take his place. Everyone here obviously fells joe has the ability do do it.I thought SILT could have been a crossover record to appeal tp both rock and blues fans, but it did'nt get there for whatever reason. I have my fingers crossed that his new cd will be the one. good news he still has youth on his side, and is bulding a grassroots following that may break out any time.record stores [independent] are going by the wayside and the big box stores only carry limited supply of nationally popular artists.music buying is going to the internet.I dont know if that helps or hurts the blues.

Thanks for your response, Gary - much appreciated.

I'm starting to worry that the older I get, the more I'm sounding like my parents when I was listening to music that wasn't Frank Sinatra or Perry Como.

There's no question that Joe has the talent and his work ethic - judging by the comments I've read here about the energy and effort he puts into his Joes - is great - but maybe those things don't really matter anymore. I look at a pinhead like Paris Hilton - who makes millions every year - for doing what...???!!

Maybe the blues will always have a very limited and selective appeal - maybe that's just the nature of the beast.

Mark

Fretwork wrote:

What gets me is my new students who play 'Guitar Hero'. . . they come into my studio and want to learn that new "Sunshine" song (Sunshine of Your Love).  I then explain to them that it is not a new song and that it is from Clapton's Cream days, which segues into more classic rock/blues and Joe songs.  It just goes to show you that if kids are exposed to this music, they will and do appreciate it.

The worst is when students ask, "Who is that guy?" pointing to my Hendrix poster on the wall.  Before I explain to them, I usually mess with them and tell them that he is my brother.  One of my students recently went to Guitar Center for strings and the salesman asked her who her favorite player was.   She responded, "duh, Joe Bonamassa" and the salesman asked her why and she said, "He's gotta be good, 'cause he's all my teacher talks about."

My student's are always making me smile.  Other than teaching, I really don't know how else to get them exposure to the great music out there.

Fretwork:

I really enjoyed reading your response - thanks for taking the time to write.

I completely agree with you about the "if kids are exposed to music, they will and do appreciate it". I guess that's the challenge - and if radios and music stores are reluctant to promote a "not so popular" type of music, then it becomes a very selective thing, doesn't it. And maybe people like us on this forum become important - in addition to the artists themselves - in promoting and keeping this genre alive.

I loved your comment about Hendrix i.e. he's my brother. Hard ot believe if Hendrix was alive today that he's be quite a senior citizen - I guess around 70 years old - give or take a few years.

I guess it's too much to ask a 16 year old kid to get excited over a guy who was around in the "jurassic era" - the 60's..:)

Man, I envy you - you're a guitar instructor?? I was saying in an earlier post that I've been playing for about 41 or 42 years now and am completely self -taught. But I always wonder how much better I could have been had I  been exposed to a good teacher - how many weeks did I "spend" trying to figure out different things when a teacher might have shown me in days. How different my playing might have been today had I taklen the time to learn the various modes / scales or learning to read music, for example, and , equally important, how to incorporate them into my playing.

Thanks again for your post.

Mark

cathysiler wrote:

Mark, you are my music soul-mate!!! I come from the same perspective!!! ! At 58 (may15th), legacy matters. Here are a few thoughts: The "blues" has certain musical standards, modes etc, but then it gets fuzzy. And rightfully so! "Rock and Roll" is also a vast category and equally vague. Looking back to when there was comparatively a small number of choices, it was easier to finds good music. Now, with cyberworld, the choices are mindblowing!!!  What is called Rock today is missing the "roll". That form, in my opinion, has shifted to the "Blues". And, of course, there are many "purists" (ignorants) with narrow definitions. But, most of them are old people like me. So, I'm in the battle with you to meld music together and foster the future of "the blues". The Best Buy in my town has put rock/blues together. What matters most is that they stock Joe's music. I also read an article recently that the future of music sales is going to be on the internet. I also belong to 2 Blues Societies and feel it gives me a way to push for "equal time". Honor the past and help the future. Finally, just hope your son "feels" music. My 3 grandchildren are teens. Each with different taste, but it does include Hip-Hop. As long it's not degrading I have to let them find their own way. They do get exposed to "good music" when they visit. And, they don't hate it!! Keep your spirit.....Cathy

Hi Cathy:

I enjoyed reading your post and you're right - you and I are very much on the same wavelength about this issue.

You know, I'm so glad I came of age in listening to music and so many other things in the 60's. I guess music just evolved to the point where maybe I'm nothing more than a dinosaur - trapped in a "time warp". And sounding more and more like my father " turn down that damn volume" or "what is that crap you're listening to - you call that music>>??!!"

I love the old tradional blues guys -  Charlie Patton/ Blind Lemon Jefferson / etc as well as every significant blues player who's come up since the 40's and later. I also loved the influence of the white British guys and their impact on the blues and, of course, to Stevie for really resurrecting interest in the blues in the 80's again. So in some ways, I don't think I'm a dinosaur who's unable to evolve with the times.

You might be right that there were fewer choices "once upon a time" therefore it was easier to find good music. That seems to be my recollection of those days back then as well.

Somewhere along the tline, something has ground to a "screeching halt" and it's all about style - not substance.

Great television programs are being replaced with countless brainless reality shows. There are more celeb mags by the check out stands than Heinz has pickles. 24 7 news channels like MSNBC and CNN devote countless hours to "who's the father of Anna Nicole's baby..?? Or Britney's latest visit to a rehab clinic.

You're pretty clever about letting your grand kids try and find their own way. Looking back, if my parents had tried to "force" me to stop listening to a young Eric Clapton on the Bluesbreaker album, for example, I doubt that would have accomplished anything except make me dig my heels in further.

Now my mother (father has passed away) loves the Unplugged Eric Clapton album. I don't have the heart to tell her that it's the same guy she told me to turn down the volume 40 odd years ago

Thanks again for writing, Cathy.

Mark

markgtrplyr wrote:

I'm starting to worry that the older I get, the more I'm sounding like my parents when I was listening to music that wasn't Frank Sinatra or Perry Como.

There's no question that Joe has the talent and his work ethic - judging by the comments I've read here about the energy and effort he puts into his Joes - is great - but maybe those things don't really matter anymore. I look at a pinhead like Paris Hilton - who makes millions every year - for doing what...???!!

Maybe the blues will always have a very limited and selective appeal - maybe that's just the nature of the beast.

Mark...as far as Paris Hilton goes...she was born a millionaire.  It's a lot easier to make more millions when you've already got plenty to start with. 

As far as music goes, maybe I come at this from a different perspective because I'm not a musician.  Bands, groups, individuals don't have to be "the best" at their craft for me to appreciate what their music does for me.  And no, I didn't listen to Frank Sinatra when my own dad tried to cram him down my throat,  but I appreciate him now for the "kind" of singer he was.  He certainly didn't even have the best voice of male singers of his era.  He didn't play an instrument.  He didn't write or even arrange his own tunes, (I don't think) but he had a "style" and a charisma that was unmatched, even today.  He knew HOW to sing a song, and make you feel something. 

My own kids listen to all kinds of stuff, and so do I.  My 19 yr old will listen to rap in his own car, and sing along to Joe in mine.  My oldest is a huge country music fan...(where, oh where did I go wrong??)  but he loves SILT.  My 15 yr old daughter cannot like Joe...because I do, and when you're a 15 yr old girl, you can't like what your mom likes.  I think it's some kind of teen rule....but I've caught her doing the "hummmm"  from "High Water Everywhere!"  Her iPod is loaded with classic rock like AC/DC and Pink Floyd as well as a couple from those Idols you abhor.

Sure there's a lot of crap and tons of one-hit wonders on the music scene today.  I don't know how or why certain bands are given a shot, and their music is pushed til you hear yourself humming it even when you don't want to!  That's reason enough to keep the radio play to a minimum around my house!  But even the classic rock stations...yes, Jane, I'm with you on this one...play the same groups and the same few hits from yesteryear over and over.  I hear Led Zep 3 times in an hour on my local station.  I gotta get them to try playing Joe's version of "Tea For One" instead!  But not everything that's new isn't worthy of a listen.  (except Paris' album...can't do it...won't do it!) Because for me, it's all about how the music touches me...makes me feel something, even if it's just the desire to shake my hair!

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...