19 (edited by susan 2007-04-27 13:15:06)

Re: Hi - It's Mark Here

Hey Mark,

Just read your post.  Your story is very similiar to mine, except I don't play guitar.  I am also 53 and heard of Joe when I saw him live in Newport, R.I. less than one year ago.  I was completely blown away by his music, vocals and utter stage presence.  I too, am still a bit upset that I only heard of Joe less than a year ago.  I don't know how that happened, but it seems to have happened to many of us here.

Welcome to the forum.  You're gonna like it here.  There are all sorts of topics that we discuss, but the one thing we all have in common is that we love Joe's music.  I will be seeing him again in about 3 weeks in San Luis Obispo and I'm counting the days.  Seriously, I haven't been so in awe of a performer in so many years.

I grew up loving the blues.  Listened to all kinds,  Eric Clapton, Johnny Winter, Jeff Beck, The Allman Brothers, John Mayall and on and on....    I too, now own all of Joe's music in the form of cds and dvds and listen to him about every day.  I had the privilege of meeting him in Jacksonville back in February and I think the time he sets aside for his fans is one more thing that sets him apart from so many others(Not to mention the music, of course).

One last thing,  if you haven't been to one of his shows, you must.  My opinion, catch him in a club if you can and get close to the stage.  The energy he puts out is like being in a vortex.  You will be spellbound.  smile

Looking forward to your posts...

Susan

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

Hello to you Mark and Welcome To the best forum on the planet

Well it's has to be the best forum to follow the best guitarist  cool    ............... does that sound a tiny bit bias

Have fun Mark .............................. michael   lol  it's the weekend

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Hi Michael:

Thanks for the hello - I've only been here for a couple of days now, but based on the response I'm getting, I'm inclined to agree with you about this being the best forum on the planet.

It's funny - there's usually (at least ) one a**hole on any forum - I just hope I don't become that "guy"..:>)

Yeah - it6 does sound abit biased, but after hearing him for only a few days now - and having a pretty good ear for who's good and who's not so good, I know that this guy is really in another league.

I'm looking forward to learning more about him in the weeks and months ahead through this forum.

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

Hi Susan:

Small world - I just returned from a week's holiday in Orlando - the whole world travels to Orlando for Universal and Disneyworld - but for me, it's an opportunity to enjoy some stone crabs (I'm addicted to them).

San Luis Obispo - that's a long way from home - vacation..??

I don't beleive that a person has to be a guitar player to really appreciate how talented Joe is. I, for example, couldn't play a violin to save my life, but I know talent when I hear it and I could appreciate the talent that an incredible violinist must have to be considered one of the world's best.

A guitarist, though, would have an added appreciation for how talented he is the same way as you would have to be a golfer, for example, to know just how brilliant Tiger Woods is.

Your comments about meeting Joe and how he sets time aside for his fans doesn't surprise me at all.

I've always believed that "birds of a feather" flock together - that a musical band of real a**holes probably attracts real a**holes as fans. So based on the type of people that are on this forum, I think it reflects on the type of musician that they admire.

I said in an earlier post that in my opinion, Joe is so talented that he could have an ego as big as a football stadium - but in the few interviews I've seen and read about him, he doesn't come across that way at all.

I will definitely go to see him when he gets close to where I'm living. I knew about SRV before he became big just by reading and hearing about him in guitar magazines I collected way back when. So I had a chance to see him early in a small club in Toronto (a place called the El Mocambo - they actually released a DVD of that performance). But I was relatively close to the stage that night and I suspect I was watching the show with my jaw on the floor for most of the night.

And I have no doubts that I'm going to be equally amazed when I see Joe as well. I envy all of you who have seen him at least once - never mind those of you who have seen him numerous times.

Thanks again for your post, Susan, and I look forward to chatting with you from time to time.

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

Hi Bluesman:

Have you ever seen that Stevie Ray Vaughan video of "Cold Shot" where his wife is going nuts because there are all these guitars around the house and he's always playing them (instead of showing her attention..!). Well that sometimes reminds me of my home life..:>)

But I'm inclined to agree with you that if I took her to see him - and he's as good live as EVERYBODY here says he is - she would be converted as well. Actually, I was showing her some You Tube videos last night when the baby was put to bed and I think she was amazed - particularily the older ones where he was in the group Bloodline (I guess that was quite a few years ago..?)

He's actually going to be in upstate NY this summer so I think I'm going to make the effort to drive a few hours - stay overnight at a bed and breakfast, for example, and enjoy a show or two of his.

Thanks again for your post and suggestion - much appreciated..!

Mark

Whats up Mark. Welcome to Joes world, he has some very cool people on the forum as you already noticed. I'm a little younger than you being a very young looking 49, also quite a handsome fellow too. That is total b.s., I'm no box of chocolates, and if rap a towell around my head, you would tell the wife to go inside with the kids ( lol ). I will probably be run off the forum someday, not for being a jerk, just for poor language at the worst times.

I like the way you put your words together, you put me to sleep too! ( lol ) I think I just stole your signs from the dug out. The way you double space your paragraphs, are what caught my eye. Thats the style I'm going with now as I have no style or taste to call my own. I hope your down, if not I'll rag on you everytime "Bad Boy Bonds" go yard on the Dodgers. Dude, I'm a serious base ball junkie. ( hold on I need to start a new paragraph, even if it's wrong! )

As I was saying, baseball is a big deal to me, all I got left in my game is some soft ball with the blue hairs I hang with. To bad they dont gig like I do, they run to bed after the games. My other life at night is checking out the local music scene in Sac town. I have absolutely zero musical talent, tried drums, guitar, harp, forgetta bout it. So here I am, got these new friends on here, make that people I like, not real sure they like me (lol ).

I'm going to pull out my " El mocambo", It's been awhile, I need some "Lenny" to chill to. Do you have any face time on the show, the only person I remember is the dude with the glasses up front, you know which one I'm talking about. He looked like he killed a twelve pack and a blunt.

Seriously welcome to forum, and congrats to you and the wife on starting the family!

Shredit

P. S... I got the go ahead to hit the east coast this year, might see ya

OMG Shedit, you absolutely crack me up!

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

26 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-30 10:53:31)

Good morning Shredit:

Ahhh - Saturday morning  - enjoying a good, hot, strong cup of coffee after a brutally busy week at work and having a few laughs at your most recent post - and your older ones..!

49 - so how far away is the big 5-0 for you..?? Mentally preparing yourself for it..?? I had a great one - my two favorite football teams are the Broncos and Dolphins - so my wife treated me to an all-expenses paid trip to Denver to see them play in a Sunday night game a few years back.

Not to worry about getting on me about the Dodgers and Barry Bonds - even though I grew up in Anaheim, I was always - and still am - a Red Sox fan. Big fan of Yaz ..! But don't get me started on Barry Bonds though  smile

I was looking at a couple of my introductory posts and I'm surprised I haven''t put myself to sleep writing them - man, they're long winded..!

El Mocambo tape - no I don't appear on it.

Looking back, I've seen all of the great players that I've loved over the years - Hendrix, Clapton, Albert King, BB King, Eric Johnson, Buddy Guy, Stevie (many, many time) - but I'm really looking ofrward to seeing Joe.

I was saying in an earlier post that I've always been inspired to want to practice harder / smarter after seeing / hearing great players.

BUt twice in my life, I've heard players who were so good that they had the opposite effect on me - they made me want to come home, destroy my 10 guitars and take up stamp collecting instead.

Stevie Ray and now Joe Bonamassa.

Glad to be on the forum and thanks again for your posts and the morning laugh ..!!

Mark