Topic: Sonny Landreth

Any reccomendations on a good starting CD of Sonny Landreth?

Re: Sonny Landreth

South of I-10 is a personal favorite of mine. Not that recent, but a strong effort with lots of great slide work.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Thanks, Ill look into that one.  Do you know Grant Street at all?

Kyle wrote:

Thanks, Ill look into that one.  Do you know Grant Street at all?

Hey Kyle....your question got me to look at the CD by Sonny that I picked up at my library.  It's "Grant Street!"  But I haven't listened to it yet....  I'll have to get back to you on that...!   But I love my library's huge CD collection for trying out new artists or just grabbing something off the shelf after browsing the blues or jazz sections.

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

Grant Street is AWESOME! It sounds really close to how he sounded, last time I saw him live. And the CD is recorded really well. I think he's using the same 2 amp rig, a Dumble and a Matchless. Beautiful tones.

I really dug his CD that I think is called "Outward Bound".

If you EVER get the chance to see the Austin City Limits episode with John Hiatt & The Goners, you'll hear SL just rip it up! He goes from playing like an Accordian on some tunes, to just blazing slide on Memphis In The Meantime.

I think Sonny is THE slide guitarist. There are quite a few others that I like. But, Sonny has got to be at the top of my list. He does new things with his technique, that are really a big leap forward.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Here I go again, but Sonny is another of my favorites. At least he's in my age group. He was John Hiatt's guitar player for a while. I love Grant Street. Wind out of Denver is my favorite song. I call it the "stripper song". He is currently on tour and playing some new songs that soar. He is a MUST SEE. His hands are all over his guitar! And, he's another really nice guy!! Now, if he'd just make a live DVD!...Many pictures of Sonny by Bluzgirl at www.fullmoonblues.com.      I'm the one with him in the tan jacket/feather necklace.

That's me and Albert Castiglia. The Sonny one is somewhere in there. You know I don't really like to see my pictures Jane cause they look like me! Where's the airbrush?

Kyle wrote:

Any reccomendations on a good starting CD of Sonny Landreth?

Grant Street

Thanks so much for all the replys.  Its sounding like Grant Street would be a great one to get. From what I've seen of him on things before, his touch on the guitar seemed just incredible.