1 (edited by dknight16 2007-04-20 19:11:40)

Topic: My Mistake

How is it that this song was not a MONSTER hit?  It is quite possibly the catchiest tune Joe has ever recorded.  I bring it up tonight because I just noticed that it is one of the most frequently played tunes on my iPod and is far and away my most frequently played Bonamassa song. 

Up tempo, great hook, engaging vocal, tasty as hell guitar solo. Damn I love that song.

And damn!  Why have I never heard Joe play this one live?  It would be a killer!

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Re: My Mistake

Hell yeah!

3 (edited by the dude 2007-04-20 20:06:01)

Re: My Mistake

Just goes to show how the "music business" per se is more about marketing and payola than it is about quality tunes.  That plus the fact that the young are lemmings looking to see what everyone else thinks is cool and aping them equals the lowest common denominator radio airplay and music video situation we now have.  I have to think that quality will eventually rise to the top though, and like D i c k Dale, Joe will not have sold his soul or his catalog for temporary fame when he gets there.

Re: My Mistake

dknight16 wrote:

How is it that this song was not a MONSTER hit?  It is quite possibly the catchiest tune Joe has ever recorded.  I bring it up tonight because I just noticed that it is one of the most frequently played tunes on my iPod and is far and away my most frequently played Bonamassa song. 

Up tempo, great hook, engaging vocal, tasty as hell guitar solo. Damn I love that song.

And damn!  Why have I never heard Joe play this one live?  It would be a killer!

I'm with ya 100% would love to hear some SILT songs live any time

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

5 (edited by pattyluvsjoe 2007-04-20 21:50:50)

Re: My Mistake

dknight16 wrote:

How is it that this song was not a MONSTER hit?  It is quite possibly the catchiest tune Joe has ever recorded.  I bring it up tonight because I just noticed that it is one of the most frequently played tunes on my iPod and is far and away my most frequently played Bonamassa song. 

Up tempo, great hook, engaging vocal, tasty as hell guitar solo. Damn I love that song.

And damn!  Why have I never heard Joe play this one live?  It would be a killer!

Hey dkight16,  I had posted many moons ago this same sentiment about My Mistake...went to Old Topics and had know idea where to find that post....but still feel the same.  Check my list out under Show Reviews & Setlists : Michael Lynch's Topic New SetList and see what ya' find.....I have always luved this MONSTER HIT........AWAKEN............  wink  pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Re: My Mistake

love this song and I also use it to count to ten, like if I am mad about something and have enough thought to realize I might let my anger get the best of me or put me in a worse spot, or also when I am trying to resist partaking in any other sort of troubled activities, I crank My Mistake.

also part of the 12-stef program

very powerful that way
but awesome 'cause it rocks and great tune too

the something shining in the hay is BONAMETAL

Re: My Mistake

I could not agree more.  To date, SILT is still far and away my favorite album.  Dont get me wrong, I love the more blues oriented stuff he has done, but in my opinion he is at his best when he does the more blues/rock stuff.  The best evidence of this is on SILT and ANDY.  I am extremely disapointed that we hardly get to hear some of my favorite SILT songs in his shows (my mistake, lie #1, the hard way etc).  This was the first album of Joe's that I heard and there was one thing that really stood out in my mind.  This was the fact that he set himself apart from his peers (for instance Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne are two that came to mind at the time a few years ago), by not only having incredible guitar, but having catchy songs to back it up.  I come from a much younger generation, and while I love all of his albums, SILT was still easily my favorite.  With each album release and show attended I keep hoping to hear more of this type of music from Joe.  I think having it helps him to stand out as a more well rounded artist, and thats one of the things I like most about him...very versatile.  I also would like to see more acoustic songs (Woke Up Dreaming still blows me away every time I hear it).  But either way it is all amazing, so keep it up!

Re: My Mistake

i love that tune!! AND THAT WHOLE RECORD.!

Re: My Mistake

sort of off topic but No Slack also always seemd like it could be wildly popular too. So catchy and the lyrics could be applied in many situations. I remember a few years back hearing it on the TV show Boston Public. There was a scene in a little resturant/soda shop and it was playing on the juke box.

Re: My Mistake

I know this sounds sick, but it is what it is...I absolutely, positively LOVE this enitre album...to the point of consciously putting it down for a while, so I wouldn't burn it out or bear witness to the abuse in my household.  A deliberate test of self control so that when I played it again, it was sweet all over again.  (Think of being on a diet and refraining from your favorite caloric item (for me sweets) and then treating yourself...it's to be savored!) It keeps delivering...When I play it again, I always play it several times in a row, just because I can't get enough of it.

My Mistake is an incredible song, so is Lie # 1, I love the entire album.  I wish Joe would play any of the songs from this CD that he doesn't play.  roll

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Re: My Mistake

I LOVE this album too.  'My mistake' ... what a perfect song to start.  It ticks all the right boxes and always makes me feel so good listening to it.  My feet start tapping, I start singing along and then the bass line comes in and everything sounds soooo darn good.  Do you think if we all asked Joe nicely he would include it in the next set list?  Just a thought ...

Re: My Mistake

A topic near and dear to my heart. SILT has always been the JB Holy Grail for me. Great songs. What an opener! My Mistake followed by Lie #1. Two of my absolute favorite JB tunes. Then of course Pain and Sorrow. Heck, I don't need to recite the track listing to you. It's not my intent here to be politically incorrect or stir up any (explative deleted) but have you ever really listened to the bass lines in those songs? Brilliant, simply brilliant, and they lend so much to the overall product. But without regard to that, SILT is my favorite JB Studio release, and the 1-2 combo of My Mistake followed by Lie #1 should make any DJ look forward to "Double Shot Tuesdays" !!!

Re: My Mistake

Stu Craig wrote:

A topic near and dear to my heart. SILT has always been the JB Holy Grail for me. Great songs. What an opener! My Mistake followed by Lie #1. Two of my absolute favorite JB tunes. Then of course Pain and Sorrow. Heck, I don't need to recite the track listing to you. It's not my intent here to be politically incorrect or stir up any (explative deleted) but have you ever really listened to the bass lines in those songs? Brilliant, simply brilliant, and they lend so much to the overall product. But without regard to that, SILT is my favorite JB Studio release, and the 1-2 combo of My Mistake followed by Lie #1 should make any DJ look forward to "Double Shot Tuesdays" !!!

Two of the catchiest funky tunes, great lyrics, and amazing counterpoint(s)... not overdone, not underdone, and definitely have the testosterone seal of approval...heck the whole undamned CD PLUS the Bonus DVD.....Wowser says Inspector Gadget! 
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Re: My Mistake

Guitarguy42 wrote:

I could not agree more.  To date, SILT is still far and away my favorite album.  Dont get me wrong, I love the more blues oriented stuff he has done, but in my opinion he is at his best when he does the more blues/rock stuff.  The best evidence of this is on SILT and ANDY.  I am extremely disapointed that we hardly get to hear some of my favorite SILT songs in his shows (my mistake, lie #1, the hard way etc).  This was the first album of Joe's that I heard and there was one thing that really stood out in my mind.  This was the fact that he set himself apart from his peers (for instance Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne are two that came to mind at the time a few years ago), by not only having incredible guitar, but having catchy songs to back it up.  I come from a much younger generation, and while I love all of his albums, SILT was still easily my favorite.  With each album release and show attended I keep hoping to hear more of this type of music from Joe.  I think having it helps him to stand out as a more well rounded artist, and thats one of the things I like most about him...very versatile.  I also would like to see more acoustic songs (Woke Up Dreaming still blows me away every time I hear it).  But either way it is all amazing, so keep it up!

so it's like that is probably the least blues rock cd hes done maybe besides sloe gin.  maybe.  you have takin the hit and pain and sorrow.  and the title tracks.  outside of that id call all the other songs light rock.  i dont mean that in a bad way, more in the way if anything besides the songs i listed got radio play it would be on the light rock station.  i say that because i believe like people are saying it should probably have been his best selling album(even though i dont think it is his best) and gained him a bigger audience than it did.  i love the album, but this is not his blues/rockstuff.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

Re: My Mistake

Here we go......a mod posting in a thread that had long since been moved to old topics. When I moved it I obviously forgot to "close" it too and it's alive.

That being said -

SILT is one of my favs too. I really like "Under The Radar". That sound of that song reminds me of how a Saturday morning feels when you are a kid.

Really like the rockin sound of that whole CD, and some of the live versions that were spawned off of it. Top shelf!

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

Re: My Mistake

Stu Craig wrote:

A topic near and dear to my heart. SILT has always been the JB Holy Grail for me. Great songs. What an opener! My Mistake followed by Lie #1. Two of my absolute favorite JB tunes. Then of course Pain and Sorrow. Heck, I don't need to recite the track listing to you. It's not my intent here to be politically incorrect or stir up any (explative deleted) but have you ever really listened to the bass lines in those songs? Brilliant, simply brilliant, and they lend so much to the overall product. But without regard to that, SILT is my favorite JB Studio release, and the 1-2 combo of My Mistake followed by Lie #1 should make any DJ look forward to "Double Shot Tuesdays" !!!

I've always thought that two fer Tuesday thought for the 2 opening tracks from the very first listen of the SILT album Stu...

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

17 (edited by Jane H. 2009-05-28 16:49:35)

Re: My Mistake

I did a search for My Mistake lyrics and found this old thread. I was listening to it this morning and couldn't help but wonder how this song would do if re-released. I don't know if its a song Joe likes much or not but its one of my favs still and I think it would be a hit (as it is, not speaking for any unknown sort of re-do style...)

Re: My Mistake

dknight16 wrote:

How is it that this song was not a MONSTER hit?  It is quite possibly the catchiest tune Joe has ever recorded.  I bring it up tonight because I just noticed that it is one of the most frequently played tunes on my iPod and is far and away my most frequently played Bonamassa song. 

Up tempo, great hook, engaging vocal, tasty as hell guitar solo. Damn I love that song.

And damn!  Why have I never heard Joe play this one live?  It would be a killer!

That sound great man. That would be further outstanding together with you in live concert.