Topic: How do we get Joe invited?????

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=1450

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

2 (edited by gsj 2007-01-28 10:19:51)

Re: How do we get Joe invited?????

Angela, I think that we need to contact EC's label and ask for Joe to be invited. Maybe we could set up a letter on here that everyone could add their name to and forward it to EC's people....a bit like an on-line petition?
Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

First of all, great find Angela!

I don't know if this is the news item referenced in the story, but I did find this: http://www.italway.it/morrone/WBTG-tour.htm

I think Geoff's suggestion is a good start.

Easy. All Joe has to do is make a sizable donation to the Crossroads Centre.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

First, I would find out if Joe wanted to participate and if his schedule is open around that time. I'm sure if it was something that was on the radar, Joe's management/booking would be making the proper contacts and asking for the Street Team's assistance, if necessary.

This is where the Street Team coordinators could verify or gauge Joe's interest, prior to sending a few thousand letters to EC's management (if that is even the correct people). I would guess that the promoter of the event is actually the proper contact.

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback and glad to see some interest!!

gsj-good idea...I know where you're coming from... I think the word petition can sound negative or demanding, I know it's just semantics and of course it doesn't have to be negative, it has to be thought out a little more...a bunch of Bonamassa fans telling Eric what to do could annoy him, possibly...

Phil, always the reliable voice of reason. (you remind me of one of my brothers, he has a dry sense of humor like you and is the first one I call on when I need advice)  You are  logical and practical and correct in thinking first things first-Would Joe want to participate and of course the scheduling logistics?! I also agree with your other point-management/street team need the correct contact person/promoter. So, maybe you could start the ball rolling, if you think this is a good idea...talk to Joe/Management.

If we did a survey of Joe Bonamassa fans I think the majority would say they have viewed, rented or purchased a Crossroads Guitar Festival.  The exposure for a talented guy like Joe is HUGE. I guarantee so many fans in attendance and music lovers who weren't in attendance, but purchase it afterwards would all say what we all know, why haven't I ever heard of this guy before, how has this guy Bonamassa never fallen under my radar before, etc. etc. etc.

John M.-just to spin your thinking around a little...how about Joe donates one of his guitars to raise money for Crossroads after Joe has Eric Clapton sign it?  Keeping in mind-Clapton was one of Joe's main inspirations, guitar wise! Bluesmen are always so respectful to their elders, it just downright old fashioned and sweet!  OK, I acting a little too female...Joe was thinking about maybe auctioning a guitar sometime anyway, different cause, but a great gesture on many levels.

Lee-I can't take credit for finding this link, someone posted it on Clapton's site and that's where I read it. Great bunch of people over there and always resourceful when it comes to digging up info!

OK guys , cautionary tale .

I have no idea how this came about , but this happened at the last Crossroads Festival .

Pat Metheny , in my opinion , is the most important American musician since Miles Davies , he's certainly one of the most amazing guitarists you'll ever witness & is an exqiusite composer . He played the Crossroads Festival , was on the trailer , but wasn't even on the DVD . I was disappointed as hell when I bought the DVD , cos it wasn't exactly cheap ! , but I really couldn't understand why such an important artist would be invited to play and then be shunned in such a public manner , politics I'm sure , but playing the gig won't necessarily mean exposure .

8 (edited by gsj 2007-01-28 19:08:48)

I think Jeff Beck was there too but wasn't on the DVD. I thought maybe he pulled his performance for reasons best known to himself.

Angela, you're right...petition is kind of negative, not what I meant. I'm thinking that it may help the 'powers that be' to be aware that Joe has paid his dues and should be on that stage...in the nicest, politest way wink. The promoter last time was Guitar Centre I think but Eric sent out the invites, or so he said on the DVD.

But as PC said, Joe's managment will probably do what's right if, he's available. I tell you, if I'm flying over from the UK just for the festival then I hope Joe's gonna make it too smile

jeff wrote:

I have no idea how this came about , but this happened at the last Crossroads Festival .

Pat Metheny , in my opinion , is the most important American musician since Miles Davies , he's certainly one of the most amazing guitarists you'll ever witness & is an exqiusite composer . He played the Crossroads Festival , was on the trailer , but wasn't even on the DVD . I was disappointed as hell when I bought the DVD , cos it wasn't exactly cheap ! , but I really couldn't understand why such an important artist would be invited to play and then be shunned in such a public manner , politics I'm sure , but playing the gig won't necessarily mean exposure .

gsj wrote:

I think Jeff Beck was there too but wasn't on the DVD. I thought maybe he pulled his performance for reasons best known to himself.

Angela, you're right...petition is kind of negative, not what I meant. I'm thinking that it may help the 'powers that be' to be aware that Joe has paid his dues and should be on that stage...in the nicest, politest way wink. The promoter last time was Guitar Centre I think but Eric sent out the invites, or so he said on the DVD.

But as PC said, Joe's managment will probably do what's right if, he's available. I tell you, if I'm flying over from the UK just for the festival then I hope Joe's gonna make it too smile

jeff wrote:

Jeff Beck wasn't at the first festival. For whatever reason I don't know. I don't know the reason Pat Metheny wasn't included on the DVD. I will agree that Pat Matheny is a true musicians musician. Pat may have requested to not be included. Who knows. There were many other worthy performance left off.

Joe was at the Crossroads Festival in Dallas. He was invited down by Charlies' Guitars who had a booth there. He drew a crowd. He also made many believers out of those who saw him jam at Deep Deuce with some of Dallas's most respected players.

I can't help but think Joe is on the radar screen of the powers that be. I would hope he would be available if the call came to appear at the Chicago Crossroads Festival.

Sometimes restrictions of record companies limit artists from appearing elsewhere, but like jim said who knows. I can't imagine too many negative things about Joe sharing the stage with a slew of well-known guitarists!

gsj-something like what Jane has posted about Warren Zevon under other artists-more like a friendly suggestion than a petition, is what an on-line one is like.  Maybe we'll be meeting in Chicago!  I Know Where I Belong folks-I wouldn't draw up a petition w/o permission.

jim-I can't help but agree with you...that Joe is on the radar screen...

I read this about a year and a half ago, regardlesss if one is a Sambora fan or not-
"I've read of Richie Sambora's love of E.C. before. In fact, he put out a solo album in the early nineties that featured Clapton on a track. I guess he wrote him this really touching letter about how playing with him would be like Clapton himself being able to play with Robert Johnson and E.C. said after reading that letter he couldn't possibly turn him down."

Thought I saw a very short clip of Jeff Beck on the opening credits? Angela...you're right and I retract my 'petition' idea.

jim m wrote:
gsj wrote:

jeff wrote:

Jeff Beck wasn't at the first festival. For whatever reason I don't know. I don't know the reason Pat Metheny wasn't included on the DVD. I will agree that Pat Matheny is a true musicians musician. Pat may have requested to not be included. Who knows. There were many other worthy performance left off.

Joe was at the Crossroads Festival in Dallas. He was invited down by Charlies' Guitars who had a booth there. He drew a crowd. He also made many believers out of those who saw him jam at Deep Deuce with some of Dallas's most respected players.

I can't help but think Joe is on the radar screen of the powers that be. I would hope he would be available if the call came to appear at the Chicago Crossroads Festival.

I had such an unproductive day..two annoying, semi-urgent things..auto repair waiting room and the eye doctor. I entertained myself part of the time by fantasizing about Eric inviting Joe to play at the Crossroads Festival.  This is how some of it went...Eric suggests Joe play lead guitar and sing lead on two songs that are really special to both of them....Reconsider Baby and So Many Roads.  (Keep in mind, Clapton has been especially gracious lately about letting some of the younger guitar guys show their stuff.) The crowd is on their feet when Joe does that incredible thing with his voice during the intro to Reconsider Baby and there is a standing ovation after So Many Roads.  Next, Eric introduces a surprise guest....Stevie Winwood walks onto the stage and Joe goes into Had To Cry Today.  Joe and Eric do some great guitar soloing back and forth!  Then as a real crowd pleaser, they play Presence of the Lord, with Stevie on vocals. Next, Buddy Guy comes on to the stage and Joe, Buddy and Eric perform Man of Many Words...the crowd is on their feet again and another standing ovation....

Well, you have to admit, this is way better than thinking about your upcoming tax return!

gsj-I think I'm overexplaining myself, when we already see eye to eye!!!

Jim, don't mean to labour the point but I think that Jeff Beck was there. In the opening 'montage' on the DVD, between Santana and Schon there's a brief clip of a guy with a white Strat...Jeff Beck I think wink

Disregard all previous statements by me about Crossroads. I obviously had my head up my arse.
http://crossroadsguitarfestival.org/Sch … Events.pdf

I remeber now. They did Because we've Ended as Lovers together. Man I  feel sheepish. Good thing I have the ability to erase all my posts about that show I have a bonafide case of CRS. "Can't remember **##"

That day was a blur. It started out 100 degrees. Some people couldn't stand the heat and left early. They will remain nameless less we call them weenies. I weenied out right before ZZ Top took the stage because a good old fashioned downpour was on its way. Having seen the Top a dozen times.

I have no good reason to of not remebered seeing Beck as I was perfectly sober. Maybe dehydrated. He came out for one song and left.

It was my first time to see Jeff Beck and Santana in the flesh.

Cutting to the chase- WOW, Stevie Winwood joining in at Crossroads, how cool is that.  I know I'm beating the horse dead and I can be annoying smile, but Joe, "RECONSIDER BABY", imagine playing Had To Cry Today with Winwood and Clapton!!!  Maybe someone can confirm what I heard thru a Clapton fan who reads other Clapton message boards....that Joe was invited but can't go for scheduling/touring reasons.  It's a HUGE honor to be invited!!!  Someday...

"From Chgo Tribune today:

[Man, 1st the Cream Reunion, then this current 'Derek & the Dominos' tour (for lack of a better term), & now Blind Faith "reunion" (see last para. below)]

Clapton may take festival to Chicago

By Greg Kot

March 20, 2007

A major announcement is expected later this week about Eric Clapton bringing his Crossroads Guitar Festival to a stadium in the Chicago area this summer.

Several sources have confirmed that Clapton has recruited an all-star lineup of guitarists for the festival to raise money for Crossroads Centre Antigua, the addiction treatment and education center the 61-year-old British rock star founded in 1997.

The festival debuted in Dallas in 2004 with a lineup that included Carlos Santana, Joe Walsh, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Hubert Sumlin and Jimmie Vaughan, among others.

Several of those artists are expected to return this year, joined by a cross-section of blues, country and rock guitar virtuosos.

Among the performers to be announced will be Steve Winwood, several sources say, who will join Clapton for a collaboration on songs recorded by Blind Faith, their short-lived '60s super group."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWyO1GaXF6c

This is definitely worth going to, even if Joe isn't there. I'll get my Joe fix in later on Labor Day weekend when he'll be in Rockford.

Nancy in Chicago

I'm just saying.

Here's the confirmed lineup as of yesterday...the article I saw said "more names to added"...sure hope Joe's in that group of added artists:
Jeff Beck
Doyle Bramhall II
Eric Clapton
Robert Cray
Sheryl Crow
Vince Gill
Buddy Guy
BB King
Alison Krauss and Union Station
Sonny Landreth
Albert Lee
Los Lobos
John Mayer
John McLaughlin
Willie Nelson
Robert Randolph
Hubert Sumlin
Derek Trucks
Jimmie Vaughan
Steve Winwood

Talk about your blockbuster lineup!!!!!!!! Wow!!!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"