Topic: Great Tone with a price?

All,

I just got back my new 58 LP with newly installed Lindy Fralin Pickups and man is the tone wonderful!  Equally wonderful in with both gain and clean channels.   The only thing that I noticed is that while playing I am not able to get pinched harmonics or "squeels" the way I am on a higher output pickup.   So is it true that I'd have to give up some tone for the harmonics?  Reading through some of Lindy's literature this is what I gather - of which I guess I'd rather get the tone.  Just wondering what your experience is?

Re: Great Tone with a price?

I have EMG pickups in my Explorer, and I don't know if those are considered High output pickups or not. But I have always found that pinch harmonics are more the guitar than the pickups. On some its easy for me and others not. Crank the gain up to "scorching death" and it won't be a problem - ha ha.  Good info on Fralins. Did they put in 500k or 1 meg pots?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

The LP already had 500k pots.  EMGS, typically would be hotter than a classic PAF type humbucker.  At least from what I've read.

I changed the stock burstbucker pros in my Les Paul to Seymour Duncan antiquity's and I found that I too had to work a little harder on my picking- but this was well worth it for the increased 'flutey' & 'singing' vintage tone I got compared to the stock Pup's.  I just cranked the gain & dug in a little more if I wanted to do my bad impression of Billy Gibbons!  By the way does anyone know what Pup's are in Joe's 'Amber Top' Heritage Les Paul right now- he gets such a fantastic tone out of it on the Rockpalast DVD?

Cheers, Mitch

This don't look like no express way to me...

Glad to hear I’m not the only one, I agree it is worth it.   I believe Joe indicated he has the stock Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 on 2 of his Les Pauls – and the third he’s got Seymour Duncans but not sure which ones.

In one of Joe's LP's (I think the 59 RI) he has the original PAF buckers in there- that's why that one sounds so amazing!

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128