1 (edited by Guitgator 2007-02-17 21:21:14)

Topic: Joe's Whammy Bar Adjustments

Hey guys (and gals)...I'm rather new to the forum so if this has been covered in the past please bear with me but I was wondering if Joe's ever given any hints on how he sets up his whammy on his gold strat?  I know Fender recommends screwing down the outside two screws all the way and leaving the middle screws up by 1/16th " for support. Also....does he use the standard three springs?....graphite?   It seems his guitar stays in tune way better than most players who use a whammy...maybe it's just video editing out all the tuning stops between songs, eh?  I'm getting ready to build a frankenstein strat from spare parts and will putting in a vintage Fender Tremelo so that's why I'm asking....I haven't had one on a guitar since the mid-70's and I barely knew how to tie my shoes much less set up a tremelo at that point.

ciao'

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

Re: Joe's Whammy Bar Adjustments

Maybe he uses a tremsetter to stay in tune, i dunno

According to an article posted on this forum Joe just uses 4 springs and some #2 pencil graphite in the nut on his vintage tremelos.......I was just wondering if he had a different approach to the 6-screw bridge setup that was different than Fender recommends.

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

I'm not really sure about the complete setup Joe uses for his tremolo, but I do know that he is very particular about which springs he uses... he actually uses a fish scale and stretches the strings out to a certain point and choses springs that have the same tension- that's mainly, i think, how he stays in tune so well even through all those whammy bar dives etc.

Hope this helps,
Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

kwsjb1238 wrote:

I'm not really sure about the complete setup Joe uses for his tremolo, but I do know that he is very particular about which springs he uses... he actually uses a fish scale and stretches the strings out to a certain point and choses springs that have the same tension- that's mainly, i think, how he stays in tune so well even through all those whammy bar dives etc.

Hope this helps,
Scott

where did you hear that?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
kwsjb1238 wrote:

Hope this helps,
Scott

where did you hear that?

I just found it- it was the tonequest report interview with Joe from a while ago... it's at

http://www.10e20webdesign.net/joe_bonam … rticle.pdf

it's on page 6

Hope this helps,
Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128