Re: So who has Kenny's dvd?

Ive been looking for that History of the Blues dvd set! I seen it when they aired it a few years ago. Skip James and many others. I have mentioned this before but in case anyone missed it, I highly recommend the dvd Lightning in a Bottle! This I believe was done by Scorcese or he at least had a hand in the thing. Many older blues artists were there for this incredible event. BB KIng, Buddy Guy, Gatemouth Brown, Ruth Brown, Dr John, Mo Keb, Robert Cray, Honeyboy Edwards, and many many more! I loved the version that Natalie Cole did of St Loius Blues!! Incredible performance!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

zosozep7,

For what it's worth (hmmm....Buffalo Springfield tune) here is the link to Amazon for the complete Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues set:

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Scorsese-P … &s=dvd

It is seven DVDs and well worth it. I couldn't find the entire set when I wanted it so I was buying them separately. It saves you a little moola if you buy the set.

Great stuff!

(A little flash back on the Buffalo Springfield stuff AAAAHHHHH! smile)

Nothin' but the Blues

Thanks for the link Lvbluesboy!!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

luvrboyblue-I'm not sure if you know Joe covered for What It's Worth on Ozzy Osbourne's 4 cd boxset, Joe on guitar Ozzy singing.

lvbluesboy wrote:

zosozep7,

For what it's worth (hmmm....Buffalo Springfield tune) here is the link to Amazon for the complete Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues set:

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Scorsese-P … &s=dvd

It is seven DVDs and well worth it. I couldn't find the entire set when I wanted it so I was buying them separately. It saves you a little moola if you buy the set.

Great stuff!

(A little flash back on the Buffalo Springfield stuff AAAAHHHHH! smile)

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

The DVD was really great.  Well cut-up and put together with good displays and graphics.
The music was even better. Kenny seemed along for the ride, while not trying to steal the spotlight from the blues legends.

The dvd marks the last chapter of the still living some unrecognized blues legends, and since many died since the filming - seemed a necessary mission to do the dvd that I believe KWS was happy to have done.

Grammy anyone?

My favorite was Bryan Lee. I met this guy and cannot say enough about him. A class act.

I just received the CD/DVD set as a Valentines Day gift (thank you Mike!). I have been kind of disgruntled with KWS because of some past events and wasn't so sure about where this CD was going. I seriously expected him to be promoting himself with this, but I have to agree with you he did seem just along for the ride. Sincerely enjoying and respecting the company of some beautiful and talented musicians. I have since found renewed respect for him and can honestly say that this is a must have set for any fine blues collection.

Bryan Lee is apparently from Wisconsin... who would have thought that. He looks and sounds right out of the south. I saw him perform on Jay Leno this week with KWS and some of the other musicians from the CD and it was an excellent performance by all. And once again, Kenny did not upstage anyone. I guess I might have been wrong about him, or maybe he has just grown, but whatever the case, he is definitely going in the right direction!!!

Julie in Green Bay
smile

jubbins wrote:

Bryan Lee is apparently from Wisconsin... who would have thought that. He looks and sounds right out of the south. I saw him perform on Jay Leno this week with KWS and some of the other musicians from the CD and it was an excellent performance by all. And once again, Kenny did not upstage anyone. I guess I might have been wrong about him, or maybe he has just grown, but whatever the case, he is definitely going in the right direction!!!

Bryan Lee used to play in Appleton at Wilbur's Blackened Blues. It was the old two-story BurgerKing on College Ave. That's where I saw Bryan Lee for the first time. The place has since gone out of business and its just a bar now. I think its called Borboun Street.

I knew B.L. was from Two Rivers, but he moved to NewOrleans to make his blues fortune. After some encouragement from Muddy Waters.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Bourbon Street is gone now too.  I think Bryan still plays at the Slipknot in Fremont and possibly once or twice at MillCreek in Appleton.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

KWS outdid himself with 10 Days Out.  Raw to the Bone,  "old school" blues.  No upscale on his part and "No Over the Top" production in the recording.  Played the way it was meant to be heard by some amazing people.  This was not what I expected from Kenny based on some past recordings.  The CD is just great to listen to but after watching the DVD and seeing these artist playing, just adds to the CD experience.  This is one for the collection of every blues lover!

"The Blues will make you happy"  -  Roberta.

Just when I discovered the meaning of life, it changed.

Fretwork wrote:

Bourbon Street is gone now too.  I think Bryan still plays at the Slipknot in Fremont and possibly once or twice at MillCreek in Appleton.

Mills Creek is an awesome venue. It's really great for Appleton to have a place like that.
I've seen Joe there a couple times and its a real treat.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
Fretwork wrote:

Mills Creek is an awesome venue. It's really great for Appleton to have a place like that.
I've seen Joe there a couple times and its a real treat.

I saw Joe at Mill Creek also last year. Scotty Meyer opened for him. That was the first time I've seen or heard Scotty Meyer and his band. It was a great show.
I will have to keep my eyes open for Bryan Lee. If he comes back around I will definitely want to catch a show. He seems like a great person as well as a great performer.

Julie in Green Bay

Scotty is a good friend--and a monster on guitar!  He has a DVD called "Live at Arbuckles"(sp?).  Not many people know, but he also opened for Joe one of the first times Joe played Mill Creek.  I'll post something if I see Bryan is playing the Slipknot or Mill Creek in the future . . .

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Fretwork wrote:

Scotty is a good friend--and a monster on guitar!  He has a DVD called "Live at Arbuckles"(sp?).  Not many people know, but he also opened for Joe one of the first times Joe played Mill Creek.  I'll post something if I see Bryan is playing the Slipknot or Mill Creek in the future . . .

Sweet!!!
I wish I would have seen the first time Joe played there.
Scotty is a great guy, and I would love to see him move past the cover band thing.
I have his last CD which is all his own stuff.
Awesome...
I would really like to see Brian so a heads up would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks much!
Julie in Green Bay

jubbins wrote:
Fretwork wrote:

Sweet!!!
Scotty is a great guy, and I would love to see him move past the cover band thing.
Awesome...
Thanks much!
Julie in Green Bay

If it weren't for Joe's A New Day Yesterday appearing in Guitar One under Blues News, then later Guitar One's Nov'02 issue--featuring The New Guitar Heroes with Joe on the cover, I never would have known who he was that early on and would have missed the show also.  The first time we saw him and Scotty opened, over half the people there thought Scotty was Joe.

Fretwork wrote:
jubbins wrote:
Fretwork wrote:

Sweet!!!
Awesome...
Thanks much!
Julie in Green Bay

If it weren't for Joe's A New Day Yesterday appearing in Guitar One under Blues News, then later Guitar One's Nov'02 issue--featuring The New Guitar Heroes with Joe on the cover, I never would have known who he was that early on and would have missed the show also.  The first time we saw him and Scotty opened, over half the people there thought Scotty was Joe.

That's funny!
I don't know,... but Scotty really rocked the last time he opened for Joe.
That was great. Really got the crowd pumped for Joe to come on.
They could do that again. No complaints here.
Julie in Green Bay

I heard Jimmy D. Lane performs on this...   can anyone confirm this? Jimmy D. Lane's "It's Time" album with Double Trouble is one of my favorite blues records of all time, I insist that you all go out and purchase, it's amazing.

Does anyone have the lyrics to "Tina Marie"?  I'm getting together with my girlfriend Tina Marie to celebrate her birthday and wanted to give them to her with the Jay Leno recording.  Thanks.

Kenny's getting well deserved good press several places.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/