Topic: HDTV advise

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so here goes. I'm shopping for a hi def lcd tv and was looking for any advise from you fine people here at jbonamassa.com.    When looking at them in the stores what I see is that the higher end tvs have a sharper contrast. But also mucho $$$ difference. So my question for those who have one. Is the extra money well spent?  I'm looking and leaning towards a 32" MAG (off the wall brand) at Staples for 499.00
    Great price for the size. It goes on sale this Sunday. Nomal price is 799.00
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/store … 4:CL142471

Any advise?   Thanks in advance.

Take care everyone. And if I don't meet you no more in this world
Then ill, I'll meet you in the next one and don't be late, don't be late

Re: HDTV advise

I paid $1300 for a 42" lcd hdtv by Samsung.  I hated it at first....make sure you have HD channels - otherwise it will pixelate terribly! I like it now, but only when I watch HD channels...

I like lcd better than plasma, because you dont have to worry about "burn in" when playing video games, or putting your computer through it.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

what Nic said

I bought the 34 inch sony that is still a big heavy glass screen
they got much sharper pictures than the plasmas when I bought
it 3 years ago

but now in the stores the Plasmas seemed to have improved

but an HDTV signal is really a must

and analog signal looks lowzy
regular digital ok
and HDTV awesome

Thanks guys. I have Comcast digital now but will upgrade to the Hi Def box for sure.

Pittsburgh Jeff wrote:

Thanks guys. I have Comcast digital now but will upgrade to the Hi Def box for sure.

and besides the pic quality

you'll see Joe on Studio Jams, and Music Lab
awesome stuff

amongst other great musicians

Jeff i bought a 37" philips lcd tv last year and absolutely would recommend as i was by guys at large electrical store here in england , do you get philips in the states , also panasonic or sony clarity is awesome , yeah lcd over plasma cos plasma,s fade after about 30,000 hours plus you must invest in an surround sound for music and live dvds , yep rockpalast dvd is awesome with surround bass and HD clarity , do some homework on before you buy ,,,,,,,,  i paid £1,500 for TV and £500 for Panasonic HD Quadrophonic 1000 Watt output surround (Jeez) unbelievable sound . but had i waited i can get that package for around 1500 for the lot now in sales or online . Anyway Jeff good luck shopping

Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Rick wrote:
Pittsburgh Jeff wrote:

and besides the pic quality

you'll see Joe on Studio Jams, and Music Lab
awesome stuff

amongst other great musicians

Tell me more about this.  Thanks for your input. My head is spinning from all the rreading I've done. Mainly comparing prices per inches versus make.

Price per inches?! Kinda funny.  The best question is your usage (needs) and maybe moreso budget.  ALL displays have some sort of gunk buildup and limited lifespan issue.  Not fair to characterize plasmas as living 30,00 hours.  Bear in mind if you use a TV for 5 hous a day you can get one that lasts all your childs school days! Plasmas NOT recommended for video games/computer displays, etc. They have superb video quality that means MOVIES, TV shows, sports events, etc.  They consume a lot of power, look really nice if you don't have an extrememly bright room.  You get what you pay for and YES the extra costs are "worth it" if you can afford it...remember so many consumer electronics "latest and greatest" things over the last 20 years and you realize getting something now is expensive compared to waiting..(remember CD discs and players when "new"???) In 2 years analog wil be history so..... expect a new wave and a new buy about then if you have to hold off and make what you have last....Mid size LCD's right now are the best pick right now and this one is  a beauty for a very ggod price. For a small to medium size room Jeff your pick is an ideal purchase at this point in time.

Thanks for the responses. My wife made a good point. Imagine that!  Get the least expensive one from Staples now, and save a few bucks for a bigger/better one. For 499.00 and 32 incher, you can't beat it. So first thing Sunday morning I'm headed to Staples. This set will be in my game room and will be mainly used for dvds. I'm not a gamer. Can't wait to hook it up to my surround system and crank up some dvds. I have about 200.  Nothing but music.   Rockpalast first up.     Thanks guys. 

on a different note, I think Joe should have a section here for "off topic, anything goes"  as well a section for trading his shows.

What works best for me is to go to my daughter's house and watch hers. Besides, all the non-HD programs look better on my TV. My TV and DVD player are hooked up "Old School" through the stereo and my Klipsch speakers....and the neighbors tell me it sounds pretty good :-)

11 (edited by Demonsterastratofixation 2007-02-16 19:07:40)

Stu Craig wrote:

What works best for me is to go to my daughter's house and watch hers. Besides, all the non-HD programs look better on my TV. My TV and DVD player are hooked up "Old School" through the stereo and my Klipsch speakers....and the neighbors tell me it sounds pretty good :-)

Ditto on my hookup, which my TV beats my neighbors HDTV also (usually they have the "stretch" ptoblem) with a few exceptions (some sports and special prgrams) and it's not even a flat panel. Screen is flat though and it has an ATSC (HDTV) Tuner (yes it can both receive HD and surround!!!) I go old  school with my own surround setup ending through vintage JBL's...  I get quite a few wows.  Oh yeah size mattering is overrated too, be it screens, speakers, watts, waistlines, bank accounts, posse's (unless hunting nefarious outlaws on the high plains)...etc...

If your neighbor's have a stretch problem it's mostly likely there's a mode switch on the remote that gives format options....at least my tv does....the standard tv non-widescreen is referred to as "narrow" mode. 

Demonsterastratofixation wrote:
Stu Craig wrote:

Ditto on my hookup, which my TV beats my neighbors HDTV also (usually they have the "stretch" ptoblem) with a few exceptions (some sports and special prgrams) and it's not even a flat panel. Screen is flat though and it has an ATSC (HDTV) Tuner (yes it can both receive HD and surround!!!) I go old  school with my own surround setup ending through vintage JBL's...  I get quite a few wows.  Oh yeah size mattering is overrated too, be it screens, speakers, watts, waistlines, bank accounts, posse's (unless hunting nefarious outlaws on the high plains)...etc...

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

13 (edited by Demonsterastratofixation 2007-02-17 02:52:36)

Well that's the stretch problem (4:3 aspect ratio non-HD) because "narrow" puts up pillarbars in the sides, vertical black bars that are ok if your screen is big enough, otherwise it's like watching widescreen movies with the horizontal bars on a small tv screen-it's ok but just doesn't look right until you stop thinking (obsessing) about it...

Guitgator wrote:

If your neighbor's have a stretch problem it's mostly likely there's a mode switch on the remote that gives format options....at least my tv does....the standard tv non-widescreen is referred to as "narrow" mode. 

Demonsterastratofixation wrote:
Stu Craig wrote:

Pittsburgh Jeff wrote:

I have the comcast hd box with DVR and like it.
But you know you dont need a high def box to get the local channels in HD. They sell HD tv antennas that pickup the HD signal for local channels....

The high def box has a handful of HD channels and all of the digital channels
like i said, the digital channels are pixelated, but you get used to it. The HD channels are amazing.
if 07 is ABC, the the HD channel is like 200 somthing - so you have two ABC's the digital and the HD.
There are a ton of digital channels without a HD channel.

Direct TV claims they will "soon have more HD channels than anyone" - but my cousin has it and says there are currently only like 8 or 12. I think Comcast might have more.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Hey Pittsburgh,   I had a 61 inch samsung 720P flown in on small plane about a year back. It's fine for us, we have direct tv, everything, everything I think, center ice, super fan, ect.  Go nuts with Pens in HD; don't know where this runs gonna end.  Watch steelers 9am sunday morns.  HDN & Discovery HD unbelieveable.  I even watch Savran & local West Pa high school games.  Haven't been back the burg in almost 20 years and keep up to date with everything.   Really look into your programming.  Wait till ya see Songlines in HD, then the regular dvd just ain't gonna do no more.  Don't want to even think about seeing rockpalast in HD, the video quality is excellent on regulat dvd.

What's real deal on Pens? Relocating, Staying?

Hey ZHURH,
   A relocated Pittsburgher.   I LOVE MY PENS!  More than the Steelers. Or Buccos.  The Pens ARE for real. This bunch of kids play each game like they have nothing to lose. Never say die attitude and are really sticking up for each other. No need to bring in an enforser for Sid the kid.    The main reason for me making the switch now to HD is for the hockey playoffs.  I CAN'T WAIT!    As far as the team moving, my money's on Mario doing the right thing and keeping the Pens where they belong. HERE IN PITTSBURGH.  They are reporting on several web sites that a deal is close and just ironing out some minor details. LET GO PENS!     Thanks for your response.

Ya know, no joke; the Indians upriver in canada (dawson is 110 miles) were tellin me bout Crosby 4 years back. A few of their kids play juniors and they'd stay at my place when they come down this way and watch hockey.  Man, Sidney is what made me get HD too; couldn't take watchin his moves on small tv no more. And now Egeni & that hot Staal; almost too good to be true. 

We had dish network for 4 years and switched to direct over center ice & super fan.  Spend 300 for that extra programming was worth every penny.  Maybe you get all the Pens games broadcast locally in HD but up here, its all satellite.  Center ice gives ya every game played; so that means when it's minus 55 I watch alot of hockey. I get to watch Pens in HD about once a week on HD channel.  It would be great if I could just pay a few more bucks and get the blacked out game in HD from Savran's channel, maybe nx season.  When I had dish network, I could purchase specific games, ect. but they didn't have center ice.  I'm only guy with HD tv in 200 miles, so get a few friends over and I hope & pray Mario waits the politicals out; be bittersweet to see Pens gone; but I'd still watch everey game anyway.  When I don't hear much being said, I figure they want to just keep selling out civic area.

I had to fly into anchorage in January; checked out some new tvs (for nx summer's supply run).  I still like the Samsungs, for big room, nice and bright.  I saw the new Mitsub 72 inch DLP 1080 P Diamond series.  Difference is Mitsub uses a 6 color wheel vs 3 color wheel that most everyone else has.  Color quality is really alot better than any of the Samsungs but it also seems somewhat darker.  They said the new mitsubs in a few months will have better optics & hotter/brighter bulb.  Wifey noticed the increased color definition and thats half the battle.  Check out those new Mitsub Diamond series.

Did you catch the Kings/Ducks yesterday?  Ya, I miss sports, Billy Price (music) and all the ethnic food, but can't bring myself to move on back to burgh; still great city to be from.  Hey, when it's minus 55, at least I have hockey & my cowtipper. See ya.

Zhurh,
   Just finished watching the Pens beat the Capitals for their 16th in a row without a loss. Man this teams on fire. Hope Shero tweaks the lineup a little with the trade deadline coming up next week. With 1 more solid d man and a tough winger for Sids line, this team could really do some damage come play off time.
   Well I picked up my cheapy lcd today. For 499.00 and 32 inches this set is a steal. Ran it thru the digital box for now and I'm really suprised at how well everything looks. Crisper images, sharper all around. Very satisfied and thats without a HD box.  Now the sound is a whole different story. IT SUCKS! I guess with a box thats only 6 inches deep it's hard to put some descent speakers in them. But thats where the surround set up comes in.  Sounds 1000% percent better and I am so pleased with the picture quality. So glad I didn't spend the money for a high end model.
   As far as Billy Price,  Sure he's an icon here in the blues scene. But me, never really got into him.     Thanks for everyones opinion. HD BOX in 10 days...