Topic: Kim Simmonds & Savoy Brown

Check out the background music on their website, which is a track off a new CD to be released later this month.

http://www.savoybrown.com/index2.html

(and yes, it would STILL be a real drag, if we were all the same...)

Re: Kim Simmonds & Savoy Brown

Sounds good! What was a hit by them?

David wrote:

Sounds good! What was a hit by them?

"I'm Tired" is probably the most well known, from which that lyric is from...(now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same, etc...)

I saw them open for Grand Funk when A Step Further was released. I was a big Savoy Brown fan.

Hellbound Train, A Hard Way To Go, Leavin' Again (later sequeled by Foghat as Leavin' Again-Again), Shot In the Head, and  Tell Mama also "hits" (Tell Mama may even be more widely known than I'm Tired/Where I Am).  Wish I had seen them back then Jim (I think he heads to you in June), but did finally see them with John Mayall during his 70th year tour. Kim now lives here in northern New York (guess he likes snow)Savoy Brown is one of all time favs-Kim Simmonds has been doing it 40 years now.

I wasn't familiar with "I'm Tired" but I've definitely heard "Tell Mama."

7 (edited by Demonsterastratofixation 2007-02-05 21:40:22)

That rolling slide sound! "...Tell Mama, and all the folks back home, some times a man just feels he's got to make it alone...."

Savoy's early stuff was great but I also really liked the way the band sounded in the late 1990s with Nathanial Peterson on bass and vocals. Kim was using a Les Paul quite often at that time with lots of wah wah combined with a nice echo/reverb that created just a wonderful sound. Ive heard solos by Kim in that time period that were in my opinion every bit the equal of any guitarist ive heard. Sounds like he's going back to that sound again !!  For those in the Ohio area, he's playing Tangiers in Akron on the 23rd.

Ahhh You mean The Blues Keeps Me Holding On period, huh?

Bob wrote:

Savoy's early stuff was great but I also really liked the way the band sounded in the late 1990s with Nathanial Peterson on bass and vocals. Kim was using a Les Paul quite often at that time with lots of wah wah combined with a nice echo/reverb that created just a wonderful sound. Ive heard solos by Kim in that time period that were in my opinion every bit the equal of any guitarist ive heard. Sounds like he's going back to that sound again !!  For those in the Ohio area, he's playing Tangiers in Akron on the 23rd.