Topic: Steepwater Band

We had a band come through from Chicago last night. The Steepwater Band. I had received a copy of their newest release. Liked it because it it was blue influenced with a riff heavy power trio sound. That 70's influenced blues rock I like so much. www.steepwater.com

Caught the sound check and I could tell they were going to be even better live. 30 or 40 people in the place and they ripped for 2 and 1/2 hours. Tight band. Damn good guitar player. Reinvented some blues standards and there original stuff was good.

Check them out and go see them. Tell them Jim sent you. I think most everybody here would like them.

I would difinatley say this is a band that has the work ethic and a direction. I think you will be hearing more from them soon.

We have a band from Houston The Mighty Orq Next week. Phil turned me on to them will let you know how it goes.

Re: Steepwater Band

Steepwater was good but The Mighty Orq was great. Love that song, "Falling Down."

http://www.myspace.com/themightyorq

Orq is from Houston......

He's got some catchy stuff and good vocals as well.

Joe B. thought Orq had some good stuff too.

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

Steepwater has a write up in the March issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine. Their new record really doesn't due them justice as a live band. I predict you will more of these guys some day.

Dino, Here is the thread I posted about them awhile ago.

Great band, I'd definitely recommend them, although I prefer the sound when they were a quartet.

Dharmakaya is an excellent album.

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

I'm thinking of going to see these guys January 10th in Milwaukee, All I know is what I've heard on their Myspace which I liked most of. Thought I would kick this back up and see if anyone has checked them out since the last post on here and have any good/bad input about them.

When I was a child I spoke as a child, But all I heard was how I should get ahead,
Now growing up it ain't anything but all This indecision with these debts and doubts
And worries hanging over my head. When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I wish I could remember what I said.

They came back through again about a year ago. They are a high energy blues rock band. Exceptional guitar player. Very good drummer with a Jack Bruce Cream style bass player. Depending on the gig they do blues covers or originals sometimes a mixture. I feel the only shortcoming is the vocals but they certainly aren't bad. They are a heavy blues rock power trio. I'd go see them again any chance I could.

I'm going to check them out when they come on the 10th. Just ordered their last 2 cd's as well. Looking forward to seeing them live. Thanks for the input Jim.

When I was a child I spoke as a child, But all I heard was how I should get ahead,
Now growing up it ain't anything but all This indecision with these debts and doubts

jim m wrote:

Steepwater has a write up in the March issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine. Their new record really doesn't due them justice as a live band. I predict you will more of these guys some day.

I just check their gigs locations for the last 5 years, they have never made it to the west coast from what I read...same goes for The Mighty Orq...bummer they both sound great from what I heard on their websites...that brought a thought to my little brain...maybe this is a question for Keith since he's the music journalist...is there a generalized area in the states for Blues/Rock bands, by that I meen an area that does better than others, or maybe artist prefer....I can understand the obvious being Texas ( Austin) and Chicago...if I'm off topic I apologize, but I would see both of these bands if they hit Northern California...just thing out loud...maybe we have some stigma out here??

Shred

You drew me in to the off topic discussion here Shred. I think it is more artists have their areas of the country where they do better not the genre' in general.

Robben Ford stays on the coasts very seldom the middle of the country. Promoters won't take a chance with him. They offer him what amounts to gas money.

Steepwater happened to get a gig in Florida on the Skynyrd cruise ship. I just got them passing through. They scored some return gigs later but it was because of their earlier routing.

Joe's second home for awhile was Joehio. He had a loyal following their first then started spreading out.

There are some venues that book the blues on a consistant basis pretty much across the country not all artists do well in them.

I think Artists prefer wherever they draw crowds and their are many factors for why they do in a particular area.

Thats my opinion not sure if Keith would agree.

Thanks for the reply Jim, I wish I had some clout out here , I've heard so many great bands on this forum, wish I could get them closer to me...JB is the only artist I absolutely had to jump on a plane and see....havent done it since....you get them Steepwater boys ear, let them know were ready for em out here..."The Palms" in Winters, Cali takes alot of chances on bands that are "unknown" out here, but Dave (the manager of the place) has a great ear for talent, and has taken many a chance....The Palms has a tremendous reputation for talented artist, and holds about 250 peeps

Shred

This Saturday - Up & Under Pub on Brady Street in Milwaukee. Anyone else in the area going?

Went to see these guys last night at the Up & Under Pub in Milwaukee. No lengthy review just wanted to say great live band!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get the opportunity go see them. The cd's are good but do not do them justice.

After using the search feature on the forum so as to not be too redundant with posts on this particular artist. My new post appears to be in context of this older post.

I just downloaded the new album from these guys. Their best to date. Grace and Melody. These guys are starting to get their own sound even though I can't help compare this to late 60's Beatles/Stones.

This is one of those bands that has an unbelievable live chemistry. I agree their previous albums never did them justice but this one is worth the price of downloading.

http://www.myspace.com/thesteepwaterband

Here is the new video from their most recent album. I think you'll like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFmHc_C_ … re=channel

17 (edited by ReverendPaul 2009-07-16 16:51:13)

They are playing in Milwaukee on Friday July 31st at the Up & Under Pub. Same small smokey place I saw them in last winter. I intend to be there as I was highly impressed last time.

I geuss they have an opening band this time - Lonely H out of Washington.  Haven't heard them but article I read said they have a "classic rock" sound and style.

Drove down to the Naperville Last Fling Festival on Sunday and caught these guys headlining the side stage. Second time I've seen them live. Even better than before. If you live in the Chicago area (where they are from) do yourself a favor and catch the Steepwater Band, you won't be disappointed.