Topic: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani

Hey what do u guys think of those guys?

Re: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani

Minijimi357 wrote:

Hey what do u guys think of those guys?

I think they are both brilliant guitarists.

Julie in Green Bay

I think they are both great guitar players .I have never been a vai fan , but always liked satriani s music which can have alittle more groove to it.If you are into guitar instuemental music you should check out the band plankton.From a song structure and listenability stanpoint I like plankton even better than the more well known high profile satriani.sound bites available at amazon or cd baby

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I agree with gary. I don't like Vai that much, but satriani is cool! I like his two-hand-tapping technique, especially in Midnight. I hope he'll come to germany  with g3 and Eric Johnson soon: i just got the DVD!
By the way I forgot who, but someone on the board posted a link to "Cliffs of Dover" when I asked who Johnson was - I instantly bought a cd of his! Thanks again!

Peace and Love!

I've never been a big fan of shredding but there's no denying they are very talented.

Satriani rules for sure.  I've heard live shows Satriani did with Deep Purple back in 1994 when Blackmore quit the band for the 100th time.  It was simply amazing.  He totally energized the band and the songs while still being true to the heritage of Deep Purple.  I can only dream what it would be like if Joe actually put together a full band and moved beyond instrumental guitar.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I like Satriani and Vai a lot. I think they both fall into the category of "musicians' musicians." They are true athletes on the guitar, able to perform super-human fretboard skills that can be most appreciated by other guitar players. If you like emotional, artsy, soulful performances, they aren't for you; but if you want to inhale guitar virtuosity, these are the dudes!

Allways dug Vai in Crossroads the Movie!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

I've always been a big fan of both Joe S. and Steve V.  I've seen them both live a number of times and they're both amazing performers.  Keep in mind I've been trying to play guitar for over 30 years, though.  As far as being "accessible" to your average music fan, unfortunately, I don't see their appeal being that wide-ranging.  I still remember a guitarist friend bringing over a cassette of Joe's "Surfing with the Alien" and being absolutely knocked out at what he was doing even back in the mid-80's.  My first few shows also blew my mind, though lately I've been less than impressed with his stage show as he seems a bit, umm...complacent, like he's just "going through the motions".  Vai has impressed me every single time I've seen him, either solo or with the G3 tour in 2001 (once on each coast!).

Although I agree that they both perform "super-human" fretboard skills which are probably only fully appreciated by guitar players, I disagree that they don't have songs which are soulful or emotional, i.e. Joe's "Always With You, Always With Me", or "Crying", or Steve's "For the Love Of God".  Anyone who can listen to these songs and not be moved in some way is lacking some basic emotional component, but that's just my opinion. 

Vai has always been super-cool in person, signing autographs and chatting with fans like a certain other amazing guitarist we all know and love.  I've never met Satriani, I felt like he blew off fans after his G3 performance in '01 where we waited for a couple hours at the stage door and met Vai and John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, and Mike Keneally from Vai's band (formerly with Frank Zappa) and Billy Sheehan, but no Satch.  Oh well.

Guitar fans should definitely check these guys out if you haven't heard them...Surfing with the Alien or Flying in a Blue Dream for Satch and Passon & Warfare for Vai.

Keep on rockin' the blues.....and Happy New Year!

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

CarljMD wrote:

Although I agree that they both perform "super-human" fretboard skills which are probably only fully appreciated by guitar players, I disagree that they don't have songs which are soulful or emotional, i.e. Joe's "Always With You, Always With Me", or "Crying", or Steve's "For the Love Of God".  Anyone who can listen to these songs and not be moved in some way is lacking some basic emotional component, but that's just my opinion. 

Guitar fans should definitely check these guys out if you haven't heard them...Surfing with the Alien or Flying in a Blue Dream for Satch and Passon & Warfare for Vai.

Keep on rockin' the blues.....and Happy New Year!

CarljMD

So true !  I own just about everything these two have put out and I never miss a chance to see them.  Hoping for a G3 Tour with Joe B someday, but we'll see.

Steve Vai's "Whispering a Prayer" makes me break down every time I hear it.  Never have I heard a song with more emotion and soul !!!!!

Anyone who is a guitar fan should make every effort to see a G3 show !!!

Steve Vai's For the Love of God is an amazing song. I rermember when I was first turned onto that song back in the early 90s and how I cold listen to it over and over. I still have the cd and thats the only song I really cared for on the set.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You