Topic: Jason Ricci & New Blood

I recently caught two shows by Jason Ricci & New Blood and wanted to recommend seeing them to all of the "non-traditional" blues lovers here on the site.  I kept hearing the name through several different circles and got my first opportunity to see these guys live last summer.  It was one of those "where the hell have I been" kind of experiences like it was with seeing Joe the first time.  I just drove a 400-mile roundtrip to see them Friday after seeing them 45 mins from home on Wed, so, either I'm a freak or they are pretty amazing.  (P.S. I've done the same for Joe, but no other band other than Dream Theater).

JRNB are a 4-piece band out of Nashville, TN, Jason (the frontman) is, for lack of a better explanation, the blues harmonica equivalent of Joe.  He plays amazing harp licks of such varying styles it's hard to explain, you just have to experience it.  From lively covers of classic blues tunes like Slim Harpo's "Scratch My Back" and Little Walter's "Mellow Down Easy", to well constructed original blues songs like "Blues Penitentary", to jammin' groovers like "Cissy Strut" and "Feel Good Funk", the strong backing band compliments Jason's bluesy vocal style and harmonica pyrotechnics for a very tight performance.  Jason's stage persona is also very entertaining as well.  JRNB's guitarist, Sean "Guitarsky" Starsky is a great player but stays in the background most of show allowing Jason (the frontman) to bask in the spotlight.  Make no mistake, though, he's a monster lurking in the shadows.  A lot closer to "traditional" blues guitar licks, but expertly executed, and he can shred a bit too.

Like Joe, JRNB encourages taping and sharing of their live shows, and right now there's about 30 available for listening/downloading at archive.org.  You can go to the "Live Music Archive", search by band or browse a list, and listen to/download songs from shows from the last 4 or 5 years.  Also like Joe, these guys are road warriors, Friday night was their 319th show this year, so they could use all the support they can get from us "fringe" blues lovers.

Their website is www.jasonricci.com and they have a MySpace page as well where you can hear a few tunes at http://www.myspace.com/jasonricciandnewblood

They are on a brief hiatus but will be cranking up some tour dates after the first of the year, so spend a few bucks and go out and see 'em, most of you will be glad you did.

Keep on rockin' the blues...

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

I saw Jason and his band this past summer at the Bayfront Blues Festival in Duluth, MN. Jason is an outrageously talented harp player. Easily the best I've ever seen live. And I also remember his guitarist as being pretty good, too. I don't remember much of their set, but they were definitely not a traditional blues band. I know if they came back to my area I would go see them if I could.

Thanks, CarljMD, for the heads up on their shows being available. I think I'll see what I can find in that regard.

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

Lee:  If you go to Jason's website and surf around a bit there should be a link that may send you to and do the search on archive.org for you.  If you need some help finding them, I can probably send you a direct link.  You might need a (free) program or two to download and/or convert compressed file formats, but it's not hard to do once you get the hang of it.  I'd also be happy to share a few copies of shows I've dl'd and, if I ever get them to CD, the two shows I recorded myself.  Ideally, the sharing would be passed on, like, I send it to three people, they send it to three people, and so on.

Yes, I realize this is Joe's board, but I think anything which supports touring blues acts is good for the cause.  I'd LOVE to see Joe & Jason jamming together, though I doubt it'd ever happen.  Jason could tear up some harp on "Burnin' Hell", not saying that Jon Paris' performance on the studio version was lacking in any way....would just be interesting to see what his take on it would be.

Keep on rockin' the blues..

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

CarljMD,
I went to archive.org and found the Jason Ricci shows. I've been on that site before, but have never downloaded anything from there. I'm registered at dimeadozen and I've used that site to download a number of shows, mainly Joe's, but others as well. I couldn't find any Jason Ricci there. Must not be any active torrents at this time.

BTW, I did a search for Joe on archive.org and found only references to shows where he jammed with other bands. I just downloaded a song from a 1991 Blues Traveler show that featured "Smokin' Joe Bonamassa" on guitar. It's pretty cool!

Oh, and that would be cool to see Jason jam with Joe.

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

Lee wrote:

CarljMD,
I went to archive.org and found the Jason Ricci shows. I've been on that site before, but have never downloaded anything from there. I'm registered at dimeadozen and I've used that site to download a number of shows, mainly Joe's, but others as well. I couldn't find any Jason Ricci there. Must not be any active torrents at this time.

BTW, I did a search for Joe on archive.org and found only references to shows where he jammed with other bands. I just downloaded a song from a 1991 Blues Traveler show that featured "Smokin' Joe Bonamassa" on guitar. It's pretty cool!

Oh, and that would be cool to see Jason jam with Joe.

Joe from '91?!

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

David wrote:

Joe from '91?!

Yes. It was from a Dec. 31, 1991 show with the Spin Doctors and Blues Traveler at the Paramount Theater, New York, New York. Joe must have joined Blues Traveler for one song, "Warmer Days". It must have been Joe because after the song was over John Popper - at least that's who it sounded like - announced to the audience,"That kid is only 14 years old" or something like that.

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

Lee wrote:
David wrote:

Joe from '91?!

Yes. It was from a Dec. 31, 1991 show with the Spin Doctors and Blues Traveler at the Paramount Theater, New York, New York. Joe must have joined Blues Traveler for one song, "Warmer Days". It must have been Joe because after the song was over John Popper - at least that's who it sounded like - announced to the audience,"That kid is only 14 years old" or something like that.

Yep... that's what it says. Checked it out myself. Still haven't fixed my audio (errr!!!!) so I can't listen but here's where my search led to...

http://www.archive.org/details/spintrav … -31.flac16

Hope that works!
I'm gonna have to get my computer fixed (way beyond frustrating)....
sad
Julie in Green Bay

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

Yes, I see the reference to Joe at the bottom of the page. Outstanding! That's the earliest recording I've heard of Joe. Thanks, Lee and Julie.

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

David wrote:

Yes, I see the reference to Joe at the bottom of the page. Outstanding! That's the earliest recording I've heard of Joe. Thanks, Lee and Julie.

Not a problem...
Took me a while to find it, so I thought I'd save anyone looking the trouble.
That's the first I've heard of him playing with Blues Traveler as well, much less that early in his career.
That's cool!!!

Thanks Lee for letting us all know that's out there.
smile
Julie in Green Bay

10

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

jubbins wrote:
David wrote:

Yes, I see the reference to Joe at the bottom of the page. Outstanding! That's the earliest recording I've heard of Joe. Thanks, Lee and Julie.

Not a problem...
Took me a while to find it, so I thought I'd save anyone looking the trouble.
That's the first I've heard of him playing with Blues Traveler as well, much less that early in his career.
That's cool!!!

Thanks Lee for letting us all know that's out there.
smile
Julie in Green Bay

No problem. Thanks also to CarljMD for pointing me in that direction. I was really surprised to find it. It's kinda funny where these topics lead sometimes.

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

This is a little off the subject,Carl how did you like Derek Trucks show at the Birchmere? Bob
PS: Joe told me he was going to play Hagerstown i will be there would you like to list any other artist coming.

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

Tarus:  I didn't attend either of the recent DC/Baltimore metro Derek Trucks shows as I was in FL at the time (one day driving cross-state to see Jason Ricci, the subject of this post) and I've also seen him & Susan several times and it just doesn't really grab me all that much.  I think Derek is amazingly talented at the style that he plays and I think he's got good tone, but to me, (ducking) he's sort of a one-trick pony.  I am much more impressed with people like Joe (or Warren) who can play straight electric, slide, acoustic, and do it all well. 

I don't have any further info on the 2007 Western MD Blues Festival, but I will be sure to post more as I become aware of the lineup.  I think I'd drive 40 mins to see Joe regardless of who else is playing :-)

Keep on rockin' the blues...

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

tarus52 wrote:

This is a little off the subject,Carl how did you like Derek Trucks show at the Birchmere? Bob
PS: Joe told me he was going to play Hagerstown i will be there would you like to list any other artist coming.

i just went to the site and they don't have the line-up listed yet. i found this pic though with Barb and Melissa's camera in it and I think I see my nose. definitely something to look forward to in 2007 http://www.blues-fest.org/gallery009.asp

Re: Jason Ricci & New Blood

Sorry Carl i thought you were the Carl i know who helps put on the Western Maryland Blues Festival in Hagerstown,but i guess i was wrong,he likes Joe too and i saw him at the Derek Trucks show,my mistake.