Topic: B.B. King given Medal Of Freedom at White House Ceremony

Legendary blues musician B.B. King, former Soviet dissident Natan Sharansky and historian David McCullough were among those awarded the Medal of Freedom on Friday by President George W. Bush.

Bush lauded King for overcoming his hardscrabble childhood in the South to become one of the world's greatest blues guitarists and singers. King was living alone by the time he was 9 and picked cotton for 35 cents a day, Bush recalled.

"It has been said that when John Lennon was asked to name his great ambition, he said, 'to play the guitar like B.B. King,"' Bush said. "Many musicians have had that same goal but nobody has ever been able to match the skill, or copy the sound of The King of the Blues."

The Medal of Freedom is the nation's highest civilian award.

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

Re: B.B. King given Medal Of Freedom at White House Ceremony

A well deserved tribute to a living legend.  Pretty good company too with Scharansky and McCullough.

What a tremendous & appropriate honor for BB King!  Although much of his story is known, his most recent biography, "Blues All Around Me," (published in 1999, I think) is a much more comprehensive account of his life from it's humble beginnings to his time of undisputed recognition as King of the Blues, and much of what occurred in between.  It's a very interesting read and he is indeed a fascinating fellow.  There was also a biography published in the 1980s, titled "The Arrival of BB King" but it doesn't delve as deep and offer the continuum that the newer one does.

"The Blues is like a tonic for all that ails you."  BB King

Rock ON & Keep the Faith!

That's a well deserved honor for the "King of Blues". I've got a ticket to see BB in 10 days, it would be fitting to see him wearing his award a week from Fri. Who says the thrill is gone? Countin' the days, oh yeah Xmas is comin' first.

Merry Christmas To All,

J Dawg

My momma says she loves me, but she could be jivin' too.....BB

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Go and see his show! He's great. A lifetime dream became true for me.