1 (edited by Jane H. 2009-03-27 17:51:23)

Topic: 3-26-09 Maryland Theater, Hagerstown, MD GREAT SHOW

I will edit this to add my review but I need to go releive some stress because I just typed for 40 minutes and when i hit sumbit it didn't work and now its all gone!!!!!!!!

Ok I jusy made a new post since we already had other posts see below

Re: 3-26-09 Maryland Theater, Hagerstown, MD GREAT SHOW

Jane H. wrote:

I will edit this to add my review but I need to go releive some stress because I just typed for 40 minutes and when i hit sumbit it didn't work and now its all gone!!!!!!!!

May I give you a tip, Jane?

Whenever you write anything long(ish), either write it and save it in Word (or similar) first, or copy and paste what you've written to Notepad or Wordpad (or similar) before you hit the 'send' or 'submit' button. wink

Very much looking forward to reports from here as I was able to listen in on most of Last Kiss, though the cell reception was far from ideal. I'd also love to know if Joe climbed up on a big stack with the Flying V. big_smile

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

It was a foggy, drizzly evening, but that didn't dampen anybody's mood. Jane and I were very proud of ourselves for getting an early start. We decided to meet Melissa at a little bar/restaurant that was attached to the parking garage. George called, and as I was going out to the street so I could hear him better, I ran into Carmine who said "hi" to G. He then joined us for dinner. Rick also came to the pre-show chow down and both these gentlemen are real gems. Tie dye Viki joined us at the last minute and we headed to the venue.
What a beautiful little theater. Joe said there were 1,000 people, but it felt intimate. Maybe being in the second row helped. I echo all previous posts about the quality of the shows. They just keep getting better. The set list;
The Ballad of JH
Last Kiss
So Many Roads
Mnt time
Another Kind of Love
Sloe Gin
Great Flood
Lonesome Rd Blues
Blues Dlx
Woke up Dreaming
Just Got Paid
*****Encore*****
Ball Peen Hammer
Story of a Quarry Man
Asking Around for You

OF COURSE, the only drunk I saw, was a small blond lady right in front of me! She couldn't stay quiet, giggled through half the show, then got "Shushes" by Joe, more than once during the final song. At least she was a happy drunk! Joe did gesture for Jane to come get a pick, which was very cool. And, we did indeed boogie for Harry (BFH), as we were all on our feet for the encore!

Joe came out after the show and was his usual gracious self. Fan friendliest guy out there IMHO.

I'd say the band is definitely ramping up for the RAH. It's like watching your favorite sports team preparing for the Championship game. I'm eager to get my next "fix" at the Birchmere next week. Thanks to Joe &Co for a wonderful night!     Cathy

Yay! Good to hear that the "girl´s night" was such a great one yesterday ... smile

The drunks - it´s the same like standing in the queue at the supermarket: you always think you´ve chosen the wrong queue and the people in other ones are moving ahead so much faster. So no wonder the ONLY drunk person was right in front of you ... lol

Look forward to hearing more from the Birchmere next week!

Eva

5 (edited by Jane H. 2009-03-27 18:21:41)

dang Cathy beat me to it,lol

Ok, yeah i know how to save stuff i just didn't...let's see if I can rethink this the same

Great show last night, one of my favorites. Truly the highlight was getting to talk to Carmine and Rick before the show, well until Joe gave me a guitar pick at the end. I felt very special for having experienced both thing. such nice guys and got a small bit of detail about the making of Jockey Full of Bourbon from Rick. i could have listened all night. thanks again, so cool!

Most excellent to be with my Bonabuddies and in particular having Melissa in person from Mojohio, and also traveling with Cathy. would have liked to hang around longer to talk to Carl and Vikki and Rob more and meet more but had to get on the road back home.

I wasn't really feeling the best which is a bit distracting but it was still a great night and excellent show. One of my favorite for sure but haven't ever been to a bad one. the theater is nice and the sound was awesome IMO. I was lucky to be in the second row which makes it a bit more enjoyable. A nice relaxed atmosphere in there compared to some theater settings IMO. I had to drive home so I didn't indulge but I thought it was cool you could drink in there. the one woman up front may have been better off stopping sooner but she did sorta crack me up. she kept talkign after Joe shushed her in the quiet part of Blues Deluxe and then wondering what she was doing wrong roll well he just told you to shush but you are still talking thats whats wrong,lol i've never been shushed by a band member before! she said thats no band member ma'am thats Joe Bonamassa! anyway it was pretty relaxed in there by then .

I liked how the band encouraged us to be loud and to stand up after a while. The venue staff was cool and some folks got to move forward toward the end it was great to see peoples expressions of joy and awe as they got to be so close to Joe for a bit. I remember this one woman just so happy when he played Asking Around. That was some real heavy emotions there when Joe sang the end without a microphone with so much sincerity. i wanted to say though that the woman who wouldn't shush, he would not need to ask around for her I think he'd be able to find her pretty easy,lol. got to give her a hard time although I did like how she liked how we were having a good time like her except we know when to shush,lol

Cathy has the set list and I didn't take notes like I sometimes do but here are some things I noticed in particular. Loved all the new songs and the set itself. I had forgotten Just got Paid was in the set and that was a little suprise for me and glad we got to stand for that one.

TBOJH, yes that is TBOJH with a T, not without a T. Awesome. I like how alot of the newer songs really rock but are still blues IMO. the bluesier numbers are still greatly excecuted but i could do without So Many Roads. I know its a favorite of many but maybe after the RAH dvd we can shelf it for a while, just kidding, maybe. of course i did enjoy it last night as alwasy just not as much as everything else.
anyway Sloe Gin was particulalry great, great intro and extra thrills on the may day stormy seas part.
I like the way Joe plays Blues Deluxe now than in times past. not many differences but anyway the other real bluesy ione IMo is Great Flood and it was very good.
I think there was more than enough guitar and guitar solos. Of course this hasn't really been my big thing anyway, even with Pain and Sorrow, since its been a topic of conversation, its really about the whole song and the music itself with that not that its a long guitar solo, that in my mind is just a circumstance of the song not what makes the song.
I do notice with the new songs and the set all together there is a great variety of guitar and solo. In times past sometimes I found some of the soloing a bit too similar song to song at times. i think with the new songs in particular i like the uniqueness of each. yet still having Joe's written all over it.
Happier Times is one of my favorite songs now and it was great to hear it live. I missed the little acoustic bit in the earlier part of the song though and wanted to put something right there but still it was great. everything played so well.
The intro to Mountain Time is a little different and the purple guitar that I couldn't tell what it was sounded nice. I just really enjoy watching Joe play and get caught up watching what his hands are doing and sorta missed out on how much I can get into that song and let it take me away. I had a few great just close your eyes and let it take you there moments. that i needed.

Lee you were right Woke Up Dreaming it was like 10 minutes long. But this time it didn't seem like that really. I enjoyed it thouroughly where in times past i had wished for him to just stop and get on with the show. I think I liked it more because it was very Faux Mantini like at the beginning which is just beautiful. Of course I love the song Woke Up Dreaming but disliked how at it would turn more into a guitar demonstration than a song. i think last nights version was a great balance that was more still a song but had enough of the guitar skills thrills in it. I was really suprised when I checked the time afterward and 10+minutes had gone by. I got a little dizzy watching him play so fast. Being so close is really a treat because I could see just about everything with great detail. Would have been fine anywhere in there I think but I recognize the specialness of being so close.

not sure why I was wondering how Quarryman would come off live but it was great I loved how it started. nothing that different than the album there but a great heavy rocker. Last Kiss and Lonesome Road bith also super cool I forget what i said earlier will revisit if I remember. gotta wrap this up for right now

Joe threw out a few picks after playing a little riff with each one first. Then, I don't want anyone to get too jealous but Joe played part of a song with one (Asking Around I believe? gosh i forget and that would actually make it that more special) and then walked over toward me and beckoned me forth in an almost come hither sort of way to be personally handed that pick from the stage his hand to mine. now I thought it was because I had done something special for him he appreciated and he indeed told me afterward that was why but still I am a very lucky special girl! and people were really happy for me but I think wondering why.
Thansk again Joe that was too cool. Joe came out afterward too for a little bit and I got a JB on the pick as well. and got to say goodbye to Rick too . I wish i was going to see the shows next week at Birchmere but i have August to look forward too and hearing about everything inbetween. I gotta go right now but will try to think of more details.
thanks!!!!

I really am so glad I discovered Joe a while back and have gotten to be along for some of this ride so far and manage to be recognized by
Joe. I know so many of his fans are also awsomeassa like me but won't have that same opportunity. Of course I would take more if I could but really grateful.

big_smile big_smile big_smile  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile
I'm feeling good!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah good to hear what roadshow said in the other thread abotu getting a truck for the gear. I kept wondering where it all was gonna go!

6 (edited by cathysiler 2009-03-27 21:30:32)

Jane, you are too funny. I wrote the set list using Joe's copy, so there was no "The" for TBOJH". And, I vote to keep "So Many Roads"..love the guitar in that song. I'm not a giant fan of "Mountain Time", but I know that's almost sacrilegious to say here. That's the beauty of a Joe show, enough differences to please all tastes.     Cathy

(quick edit, two letters only) wink

Nice reviews Jane and Cathy...  Always good to hear your reports on the road!

Music is good for the Soul...

In a way I'm glad I didn't go as obviously you girls had a wonderful Ladies Night. I still would have loved to have seen Joe, and hopefully, I would have been a wee bit entertaining to all of you? big_smile Thats OK, I'll be there in August. cool

Stay Safe

Jane. You rock in wordy kind of way. When I take awhile to compose a post and it doesn't take I just resubmit it and it goes through. You just can't navigate away.

You know that all Joe's fans are special. There just aren't many quite like you. Don't feel bad about getting some special love. You deserve a little.

10 (edited by Jane H. 2009-03-27 22:26:34)

Thanks Jim. BTW Cathy made your son blush a little when she called out his name while he was getting things set up on stage...

Now Cathy I don't know about this TBOJH thing because in my mind if we call TBOJH just BOJH it makes ANDY just NDY  that is not right is it?

and i think there is something going on with my computer this morning so normal things didn't work like you suggested Jim but thanks. I had similar issue on another site so i think it was my comp. I should have saved like George said i just wasn't thinkin...

also The lady who does sign language interpreting was there last night too and that is a great thing. She has also done that at the western MD blues fest and when i said something about Cockeysville she turned around and said something i didn't catch but maybe she will be at that fest too.

and oh yeah was the shushing during Blues Deluxe or Asking Around? I hope someone did some recording and we'll find out wink

Nice review my Birthday sister, that was cool of Joe to make your night....and thanks Cathy for thinking of me...and finally to JB, you made my day with your answer, there's no one in your league out here in the Sactown area, I'll have your salsa and chips ready too wink ...maybe some PR food for your bass player too, my neighbors a great cook

Shreddy

12 (edited by BluesMan 2009-03-27 23:23:15)

Thanks to both Jane and Cathy. I really like reading reviews that give us some background to the night and you ladies did a marvelous job! smile

And Joe's pick handed to you by Joe duing the show, how cool is that Jane? cool

37 days and counting and my foot is keeping a steady beat on the floor.....

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Great to hear that Cathy Jane & Melissa had a fun night in Hagerstown , some nice moments mentioned about the show and also meeting up with Carmine and Rick for a bite to eat wink
Jane ...... Long posts = Copy & Paste   COPY AND PASTE ... So many times i've done a typed post and then thru bad connection it's lost  yikes , that make me Antsy ! lol

Good Reviews CS , JH      ttyl

......................... Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Thanks for the reviews Jane and Cathy.
Wow Jane you must have felt like the Bee's knees when Joe handed you that pick!

Tripsy smile

Jane and Cathy,
Nice reviews. It sounds like Joe put on a great show and a good time was had by all!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Wow, sounds like a special night for all of you in MD !!!! Jane, that is soooo cool that Joe special delivered your pick   !!!  I haven't been able to catch any shows yet this tour and am really hoping to be able to get to Hot August Blues. That is a fantastic festival. Went to the 2005 version and it was a great time and very well run event. As it gets cloer i'll let you all know. Glad I have all these great Joe  Band reporters to keep me up to date. Thanks all,  Larry G

Jane H. wrote:

Thanks Jim. BTW Cathy made your son blush a little when she called out his name while he was getting things set up on stage...

Now Cathy I don't know about this TBOJH thing because in my mind if we call TBOJH just BOJH it makes ANDY just NDY  that is not right is it?

and i think there is something going on with my computer this morning so normal things didn't work like you suggested Jim but thanks. I had similar issue on another site so i think it was my comp. I should have saved like George said i just wasn't thinkin...

also The lady who does sign language interpreting was there last night too and that is a great thing. She has also done that at the western MD blues fest and when i said something about Cockeysville she turned around and said something i didn't catch but maybe she will be at that fest too.

and oh yeah was the shushing during Blues Deluxe or Asking Around? I hope someone did some recording and we'll find out wink

Jane there will be two Moody's at the Birchmere on Monday. If you call my name you might see me blush.

A short slide show from the night http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=display … ormat=html