Re: Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Registry (Serial Numbers "BONAMASSA XXX")

Hi All,
My Husband, Giles, received his JBLP yesterday #178 fantastic guitar, He is really pleased that its aged 'cos he reckons that no one will notice if he adds a few dings!! He also has a JB signature Gigliotti #044.

Location  Southport, Merseyside UK

See you all at the RAH!!

P.S. Have any of you had your pick guard (or any other part for that matter) signed by Joe? If you have how did you protect the signature from wear? have you used lacquer or some such material or do you just remove the guard and replace it with another, keeping the priceless signed one at the bottom of a draw??

Hello,

I have an answer and a question for you.. firstly, I saw joe play his first uk gig over here in the Borderline Club off Charring cross road in London and was lucky enough to be chatting to his guitar tech Dave Pate at the time and got to meet Joe briefly after the gig (it is still to this day my favourite show I've ever seen Joe perform and my waist was right up against the edge of the stage and it was as if Joe had just invited you into his front room to join in the fun) Joe swas kind enough to sign all my cd's dvd's and even my guitar (a black SG special) and I got my luthier Andy Warnot who is amazing at what he does to come up with an idea to protect Joes signature and still leave the signed pick guard on the guitar, I wanted to still play the guitar as I don't believe they should just hang on a wall as a show piece and as a result of playing Joes signature had started to wear off at the top so Andy took of the guard and expertly made a template of my pick guard and cut a very thin piece of clear plastic out to match the shape then cleverly used the exsisting pick up surround screws and a couple of the pick guard securing screws to hold it in place, the peice he cut out was only made big enough to cover Joes signature as to cover the whole thing would'nt have been required. So I can now play the guitar as often as I want and don't have to worry about wearing Joes signature away, also it can still be clearly seen but best of all other than still being able to have the existing pick guard left on the guitar, Joes signature has been left 100% completely untouched with no laquer or seal covering the bare ink and you don't have to buy another guard so the sogned one does'nt have to go in the drawer... actually the best bit of all is that this only cost me £25 to be supplied, made and fitted!

Now for the asking bit, Your hasband is a very lucky man indeed to have two Bonamassa guitars, I didn't know that Gigliotti made a signature guitar for Joe... so the question is, do you know where I can get one and how much I should expect to pay for one?

Cheers Clint

www.gigliottiguitars.com retail is aprox $4,200.00. Great idea about the clear plastic.

5678clint wrote:

Hello,

I have an answer and a question for you.. firstly, I saw joe play his first uk gig over here in the Borderline Club off Charring cross road in London and was lucky enough to be chatting to his guitar tech Dave Pate at the time and got to meet Joe briefly after the gig (it is still to this day my favourite show I've ever seen Joe perform and my waist was right up against the edge of the stage and it was as if Joe had just invited you into his front room to join in the fun) Joe swas kind enough to sign all my cd's dvd's and even my guitar (a black SG special) and I got my luthier Andy Warnot who is amazing at what he does to come up with an idea to protect Joes signature and still leave the signed pick guard on the guitar, I wanted to still play the guitar as I don't believe they should just hang on a wall as a show piece and as a result of playing Joes signature had started to wear off at the top so Andy took of the guard and expertly made a template of my pick guard and cut a very thin piece of clear plastic out to match the shape then cleverly used the exsisting pick up surround screws and a couple of the pick guard securing screws to hold it in place, the peice he cut out was only made big enough to cover Joes signature as to cover the whole thing would'nt have been required. So I can now play the guitar as often as I want and don't have to worry about wearing Joes signature away, also it can still be clearly seen but best of all other than still being able to have the existing pick guard left on the guitar, Joes signature has been left 100% completely untouched with no laquer or seal covering the bare ink and you don't have to buy another guard so the sogned one does'nt have to go in the drawer... actually the best bit of all is that this only cost me £25 to be supplied, made and fitted!

Now for the asking bit, Your hasband is a very lucky man indeed to have two Bonamassa guitars, I didn't know that Gigliotti made a signature guitar for Joe... so the question is, do you know where I can get one and how much I should expect to pay for one?

Cheers Clint

Hi Clint , Many thanks for your reply and the excellent idea re the plastic. would you be able to post a photo of the job to give me a better idea how this works/looks?
jim m has posted the gigliotti website address and I would recommed e-mailing or ringing Patrick Gigliotti for any detailed discusion. Although my guitar is a jb signature you still have the opportunity to tweek the guitar to suit your requirements (pickups/tuners etc). I was vey lucky when I bought my jbgt back in December 2006 when the dollar was $2 to £1 and just a month before Patrick put his prices up due to increased material costs.
Thanks again for the info.
Giles (using my wifes login name jill d)

JillD wrote:
5678clint wrote:

Hello,

Cheers Clint

Hi Giles,
No problem, I will try to get some photos together and post them so you can see how it looks.
I forgot to mention how it was secured so I'll add that here. The plastic is very thin but not so flexible that you can bend it up easily.. also this small amount of thickness makes the signature very clear to see and at some angles you wouldn't even know it was covered. Also to secure the extra plastic, Andy made holes in the exact positions of the existing scratch plate screws and the tiny ones for the pick ups (as SG's don't have pick up rings this was a little easier to do and made sense for better securing on that side. This resulted in absolutely no extra holes being drilled into the scratchplate or any use of glue etc, keeping the signed scratchplate completely intact and original but keeping me from wearing out Joes signature anymore than I had started to before Andy's excellent Idea of the clear plastic cover.

Glad this might help you or anybody out who has a signed scratch plate they'd like to protect... it looks so much better on a guitar you can still play than sitting in the drawer haha!

Hmmm the Bonamassa Gigliotti sounds Fab! might have to see if I can raid the piggy bank and track one down!

Kind regards to all Clint

Hello Jim M,Thanks very much for the Gigliotti info, it sounds like a very exciting guitar and I can't wait to check one out.

Now I just need to search the globe to find one at a good price!
All the best Clint

5678clint wrote:

Hello Jim M,Thanks very much for the Gigliotti info, it sounds like a very exciting guitar and I can't wait to check one out.

Now I just need to search the globe to find one at a good price!
All the best Clint

Hi Clint , i'm sure you're the guy from Dartford Kent that was at The Borderline Thurs Sept 21st
2006 and you showed me the signed guitar , how you doing and are you going to The Royal Albert Hall Show on May 4th , Hope to see you there
Clint Drop me an E-Mail

........................ Michael

I Too Have a JBLP (That could be 2 in Kent   cool)

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Hi joe...I have the JB 83 in spain, and I have the signature in the bell....
It sound like....uuuuffffff, in my two-rock and komet....maybe the best sounding les paul  ever dream for me....
thanks for do all that you do

eltriodelsaco wrote:

It sound like....uuuuffffff, in my two-rock and komet....maybe the best sounding les paul  ever dream for me....

Thanks eltriodelsaco , 1 made it to Espansa cool
I think it's time the list was compiled from all these here and i've scoured the internet & guitar shops and come up with 20 or so more , try and get it up the weekend (The List , The List tongue)

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

michael*lynch wrote:
eltriodelsaco wrote:

Thanks eltriodelsaco , 1 made it to Espansa cool
I think it's time the list was compiled from all these here and i've scoured the internet & guitar shops and come up with 20 or so more , try and get it up the weekend (The List , The List tongue)

Michael, if you want to compile a list of the JBLP owners and post it here that would be very cool. Too bad we can't include a picture of the owners with their JBLP's here.

Peace

Hi,

I have made a list already. But I have my information from this thread.
Means, I have partly just the forum names and partly no location.
Kinda uncomplete. I would like to have it with the name, # and location.
Like this: http://www.brianmaycentral.net/list.html
Pics can be added and notes like "unaged" or so could be made.

I think we have to start a new topic for this.
Like "JBLP owners, who are you?" lol

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

I am now the proud owner of JBLP #265.  It's one of the non-aged guitars.  It's beautiful and sounds great, now I have to get my "Strat" hands accustomed to grippin this baseball bat neck, but it will be just like getting a new girlfriend.  The old one was comfortable and I knew how to make her purr but now the fun is learning the hot buttoms of this new animal!!

"Chicago" Dave Schutt
Main Channel Band
Charlotte, NC

daveschutt wrote:

I am now the proud owner of JBLP #265.  It's one of the non-aged guitars.  It's beautiful and sounds great, now I have to get my "Strat" hands accustomed to grippin this baseball bat neck, but it will be just like getting a new girlfriend.  The old one was comfortable and I knew how to make her purr but now the fun is learning the hot buttoms of this new animal!!

Yeah its like playing a stump with some telephone wire for strings... I was accustomed to playing a G&L strat and a Jackson Soloist. 
   Update...my les paul (#268) and I have moved from Ferndale, MI to Louisville, KY and no damages along the way! big_smile

Un-aged #258 will be delivered tomorrow! I have waited a long time for tomorrow...

Wow, I would like to see an unaged JBLP in nature.
Let us know your thoughts after it has arrived.

Alex
(happy with his aged #140 big_smile )

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

I took the plunge and made a deal with Spider for #24 (Thanks Andy!) I should have it in my hands next weekend if the shipping guys get it right.  Hope to get Joe to sign it in August.

I know where #125 lives. The shop wants $4500 for it.  They may deal but I can't say for sure as I've never bought an axe at that establishment.

Email me if you want a heads up on it.

Major Tom to ground control...

72 (edited by Michael 2009-04-05 02:56:03)

Thomas that is wonderful news to hear Spider let you have his #024 , bet your happy at that
fine whiskey in one hand and a fine Gibson Les Paul in other , oh you'll be in heaven  big_smile

....................... Michael

PS ..... On another note .... I tried to upload a list i compiled last night and cyberspace took it away somewhere  mad
took me 2 hours to compile and list , Did i just preach copy and paste the other day
that'll teach me , try again when i put this laptop back together