Re: San Diego 3/20/2009

I should have the recording tracked out by tomorrow. Let me know if any of you want a particular track or I will send you a CD if you like.. all within the constraints of Joe's policy of course. I'm pretty happy with it on the whole. Like I said there isn't as much direct sound as I would like but it is very true to the experience we all had up in the mezzanine.

The best drug in the world are those endorphin inducing chord changes!

PaulN wrote:

I should have the recording tracked out by tomorrow. Let me know if any of you want a particular track or I will send you a CD if you like.. all within the constraints of Joe's policy of course. I'm pretty happy with it on the whole. Like I said there isn't as much direct sound as I would like but it is very true to the experience we all had up in the mezzanine.

I just got a new Zoom H2 and I almost took it to the show but decided not to. I wasn't sure what it would be like trying to record a live show like that. I wish I had now. I would love a recording of the show. Also, I'd love to know what you used and any tips you can give me about doing something like that in the future.

This was my first JoeShow.  It has to be one of the best concerts I've ever seen.  And I've seen a lot.  I'm now thinking of flying to Denver in August to see him again.

I wanted to comment about the audience at the show: just awesome.  They (we) treated the warmup act very politely and positively even though she obviously didn't play music in the same genre of Mr. B. 

Joe, you should be proud to attract such classy of fans.

Does anyone know if Joe usually closes "Asking Around for You" singing unamplified or were we treated to a special performance because Spreckles Theatre has awesome acoustics?

OT: can anyone tell me how to link directly to the vids on jbtv?  The instructions near the bottom of the page just don't make sense.

Is there a vid of India/Mountain time on the site?

"I just got a new Zoom H2 and I almost took it to the show but decided not to. I wasn't sure what it would be like trying to record a live show like that. I wish I had now. I would love a recording of the show. Also, I'd love to know what you used and any tips you can give me about doing something like that in the future."

Zoom H2 is what I used. This is an amazing little machine in it's own right but spectacular given the price. I've had it for about a year and have recorded a number of concerts Joe, Springsteen, The Who etc.. They work great and the small size is very nice. I had a Zoom H4 prior to that which is somewhat larger and is better if you want to use external mics. The H2 though is just great for fan recordings. Setup: I used the rear mics (pointed toward the stage of course) with the 120 degree angle. I used the gain switch on the side set to low "L". This results in a recording that a little quiet for normal use but avoids getting distortion. I then use a program called Wavpad (a trial version can be downloaded for free but there are many others) to bring sound level up to what a normal recording would be and nothing gets lost in the process. You can divide the recording into tracks at the same time. You can set the record level where you want it but that gets tricky in a dark concert hall and you don't know what the level will be until the act starts.  When recording I use the 44.1 khz Wav setting which gives outstanding quality but a is a pretty large file. This concert took about 1.6 Gigs. Wavpad will also let you save the files in any format you want also. To preserve quality but reduce the file size for MP3 players etc I save them in MP3 VBR 48 min to 360 max. You can use itunes or most music library programs to "supertag" the files with Artist, Album, track number etc.

You will have a lot of fun recording concerts. Email me your address and I will send you a copy.

Email me

The best drug in the world are those endorphin inducing chord changes!

PaulN wrote:

"I just got a new Zoom H2 and I almost took it to the show but decided not to. I wasn't sure what it would be like trying to record a live show like that. I wish I had now. I would love a recording of the show. Also, I'd love to know what you used and any tips you can give me about doing something like that in the future."

Zoom H2 is what I used. This is an amazing little machine in it's own right but spectacular given the price. I've had it for about a year and have recorded a number of concerts Joe, Springsteen, The Who etc.. They work great and the small size is very nice. I had a Zoom H4 prior to that which is somewhat larger and is better if you want to use external mics. The H2 though is just great for fan recordings. Setup: I used the rear mics (pointed toward the stage of course) with the 120 degree angle. I used the gain switch on the side set to low "L". This results in a recording that a little quiet for normal use but avoids getting distortion. I then use a program called Wavpad (a trial version can be downloaded for free but there are many others) to bring sound level up to what a normal recording would be and nothing gets lost in the process. You can divide the recording into tracks at the same time. You can set the record level where you want it but that gets tricky in a dark concert hall and you don't know what the level will be until the act starts.  When recording I use the 44.1 khz Wav setting which gives outstanding quality but a is a pretty large file. This concert took about 1.6 Gigs. Wavpad will also let you save the files in any format you want also. To preserve quality but reduce the file size for MP3 players etc I save them in MP3 VBR 48 min to 360 max. You can use itunes or most music library programs to "supertag" the files with Artist, Album, track number etc.

You will have a lot of fun recording concerts. Email me your address and I will send you a copy.

Email me.

Thanks so much for the recording advice. I have used the H2 for recording myself with great results but haven't tried a show yet. My son plays in a Pearl Jam tribute band called Vitalogy in Los Angeles and I feel better prepared to try and record one of their shows now. Thanks again, Paul.

WyattA wrote:

This was my first JoeShow.  It has to be one of the best concerts I've ever seen.  And I've seen a lot.  I'm now thinking of flying to Denver in August to see him again.

I wanted to comment about the audience at the show: just awesome.  They (we) treated the warmup act very politely and positively even though she obviously didn't play music in the same genre of Mr. B. 

Joe, you should be proud to attract such classy of fans.

Does anyone know if Joe usually closes "Asking Around for You" singing unamplified or were we treated to a special performance because Spreckles Theatre has awesome acoustics?

OT: can anyone tell me how to link directly to the vids on jbtv?  The instructions near the bottom of the page just don't make sense.

Is there a vid of India/Mountain time on the site?

Welcome to the forum.  Joe switches it up everyonce in a while but he's been doing that last bit of "Asking Around for You" sans microphone the three times I've seen him this year.

Can't help you with the JoeTV, but here's a vid of India/Mountain Time from when he was playing up near me last summer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB& … re=related

Major Tom to ground control...

The  show was Great as usual !!!  As an added BONUS, My wife and I were lucky enough to meet him after the show !!!  It was awesome.  We cought up with him outside of his tour bus just hangin' out.  I got a couple of things signed and a picture of Joe & Terry (my wife).  here's the link to the photo's I shot that evening:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/earlweaver … 722883495/

Enjoy...............

earlweaver wrote:

The  show was Great as usual !!!  As an added BONUS, My wife and I were lucky enough to meet him after the show !!!  It was awesome.  We cought up with him outside of his tour bus just hangin' out.  I got a couple of things signed and a picture of Joe & Terry (my wife).  here's the link to the photo's I shot that evening:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/earlweaver … 722883495/

Enjoy...............

Isn't it great that Joe will meet up with his fans after each show?  Eventually I fear Joe will get so popular that this won't be possible. But enjoy it while it lasts.  He is such an incredible person. 

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Major Tom to ground control...

After spending a few days at home after the Vegas show, we ran to San Diego and met up with classmates of Steve's and BIG blues fans Terry and Silvia....... it was their Joe initiation....... yay.....more converts!!!!  As if that wasn't fun enough, with a turn of luck, RICjunkie, aka Tom, was in Southern California for work, and was able to join us for this show AND for dinner too, so that we could really visit beforehand (his friend joined us too).  It was GREAT to see you Tom.  (He's a really SUPER nice guy if you people haven't figured that out yet). 

Spreckels Theater is great...... set in downtown San Diego....... a lovely, historic piece of architecture just fancy enough without being over the top..... and yet, comfortable and almost cozy.  We had terrific seats.  Front row.... left orchestra. 

The charming and talented Marianne Keith opened for Joe with a short acoustic set.  This was the second time we've seen her start things off...... the first time was at The Coach House.

Here's a good one.  I was walking thru the lobby, before the show began, when a man approached me and said, "Are you Libby??".  Hmmmmm........ I'd never seen him before in my life....... and, as most of you know......not a lot of people know what I look like, so........ who could this be??  LOL.  "Yes, I'm Libby", I admitted.  "Libby, I'm Mark."......... It took me a second to figure out what he meant........

Mark joined the Forum many months ago, and yet, I think he never got around to posting once.  He was in the middle of his waiting period when he contacted me somehow.....LOL......  I can't remember exactly how it happened.....  He was at the Redondo show, and I was in Vegas when he wrote two days later after reading my review, I think (the first timely one I've ever written - LOL).  Anyway, we bonded immediately, and chatted off and on for months.......and then he vanished.  Turns out his computer had broken.  Meanwhile, he had seen me in Redondo, shooting video AND stills at the same time (as I often do)...... so HE knew what I looked like and I had not a clue what HE looked like......so, he was anticipating seeing me in San Diego, and there ya go.  Very funny and WONDERFUL to meet him..... I thought he'd fallen off of the face of the planet, so..... it's really nice to be back in touch with yet another GREAT person I've met because of Joe.

Here's the set list:

Ballad of John Henry
Last Kiss
So Many Roads
India/Mountain Time
Another Kind of Love
Sloe Gin
Great Flood
Lonesome Road Blues
Happier Times
Your Funeral My Trial
Blues Deluxe
Woke Up Dreaming
Just Got Paid

Encore

Ball Peen Hammer
Story of a Quarry Man
Asking Around For You

So incredible to be so close and see and hear ALL of the nuances of the entire band....... this run of shows was fantastic acoustically, from my seats, and thru my ears, at least.  Joe's vocals were the clearest I've ever heard, as were Rick's vocals and keys, and Carmine's bass too.  I've NEVER been able to hear so MUCH detail as during these three shows.

Once again, Joe played that incredible new intro to 'Woke Up Dreaming' and after the show, when Steve asked him about it, he replied, "oh...... that's just my feeble attempt at Flamenco".  Uh huh.  As if Joe is capable of doing anything feebly.  Silly Joe.   

GREAT to see Rocket at this show.  It's just not right that we don't see you more often Rocket.  smile  We also ran into Ann at this show.  She's a relatively new Forum member who's not quite comfortable posting yet.  A HUGE Joe fan.  We met her at Doheny first, then Redondo...... she came to Cerritos too.  It's nice to see familiar faces at these shows and get to know all sorts of people.

So, Mr. "Mike14", there were 4 people sitting in the front row next to "your" box.  I was the furthest from you..... next to the aisle....... wielding a couple of cameras.......   and...... just after Joe shook your hand at the end of the show, he shook Steve's.  We probably chatted with you after the show too.......  big_smile  Welcome to the Forum.  I think it's just terrific that you went to such great lengths to see Joe.  FANtastic.   

And, PaulN, I would LOVE to hear that show.  Drop me an email if you're so inclined.  Thanks much in advance.   

Welcome JenningsMusic, and WyattA, and Earl Weaver too.  Glad you ALL loved the show so much.  Wow, so many new Forum members, how cool is that.  We were out by the bus too Earl, so, you probably saw us.  I remember you.

Once again, a HUGE thank you to Joe, Bogie, Carmine and Rick......to Rachel and Warren.....to Dave and Aaron.........and Clancy too........ for EVERYTHING. 

One show to go........... it's off to Cerritos next................

(sheeeeeesh....... I'm outta shape...... been awhile since I've posted this much - pant, pant......)

tongue  Libby  smile

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

Cerritos next? But you've already been there, shirley? roll

Just kidding. wink

Thanks for this one too, Lil'bit! I'm starting to think that you have more contacts to forum members than anyone else here, it's like the whole world and his brother knows Libby. big_smile

Looking forward to some new Libcam postings on youtube!

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith