Re: Happier Times Lead tone... AMAZING!!! Joe, how did you get that tone?

Love this solo and I really like the tone... what I'm looking for in a dumble-ish tone.

I have a newbie question for all the gurus... about 40 secs into the solo there is a bar or two that sounds like it has no 'attack' at all just a swelling of tone, sounds almost like a bowing of the strings.  What's going on there?  Is that a playing technique or is there some effect contributing to that?

Thanks,
-mark.

-mark.
My blog: http://tubenexus.com
Shameless self-promotion: http://cepedals.com

That's Joe switching to the neck pickup on his Les Paul and using the neck pickup volume knob to do volume swells.  It's a little trickier to do on a Les Paul than Stratocaster but Joe is the master!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

That particular tone is my personal favorite of Joe's.  I don't have the capacity to have four 100 watters so I picked my favorite aspect of Joe's setup and went with that as my main rig.  My attempt at that particular sound is a Marshall DSL100 + light reverb + DD-3 in the loop blended with a Ceriatone HRM100 + delta lab chorus + holy grail reverb in the loop.  Then I add pedals to change the character a little bit.  I add the Tube Driver for the EJ Cliffs of Dover thing, the TS808 for a little more mids and gain, and finally the OCD for more of an aggressive loud Marshall type overdrive.  I like the variabilitly of the pedals so I don't have to lug more amps around!

Great to see another Tube Driver user on here, how do you like yours?

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Danny! wrote:
stratpaulguy86 wrote:

That particular tone is my personal favorite of Joe's.  I don't have the capacity to have four 100 watters so I picked my favorite aspect of Joe's setup and went with that as my main rig.  My attempt at that particular sound is a Marshall DSL100 + light reverb + DD-3 in the loop blended with a Ceriatone HRM100 + delta lab chorus + holy grail reverb in the loop.  Then I add pedals to change the character a little bit.  I add the Tube Driver for the EJ Cliffs of Dover thing, the TS808 for a little more mids and gain, and finally the OCD for more of an aggressive loud Marshall type overdrive.  I like the variabilitly of the pedals so I don't have to lug more amps around!

Great to see another Tube Driver user on here, how do you like yours?

I use to really have a love/hate relationship with mine...you really have to be careful with how you use it.  It's the 3 knob Tube Works version and a really great sounding distortion unit.  You can only use it in front of an amp with either a clean or semidistorted sound or else it's a one way ticket to Mushville.  My settings are Volume 1 o'clock, tone noon, and gain 9 o'clock.  Just enough to be about even volume when engaged and to add that fat, EJ-like voilin sound.
I use it for more of the smooth EJ/Gilmour type stuff but it can definately get into ZZ Top territory if you dime the tone knob and use a Les Paul. big_smile

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Stratpaul, did I ever mention I'd like to hear your stuff...? big_smile

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Stratovari wrote:

Stratpaul, did I ever mention I'd like to hear your stuff...? big_smile

Alex

I think I may remember you asking once or so... wink  I'm trying to iron out my housing situation so when I move in I'll be able to CRANK everything!  BTW thanks for the info on how to record I will try to do that ASAP.  I think I've run my opinionated lip long enough on here without sharing my setup!  Hopefully it at least sounds half as good as what you and Ben have going on...