289 (edited by Rocket 2009-08-30 23:03:30)

Re: Joe, Derek Trucks, Old Man Brown at Hot August Blues in Md. !!!

Once again very nice.  I still don't know how you have no pictures of Rick Melick (I see his left arm in one & him in #16, but none of just him) though. He does tend to blend in perfectly, however.  And you have The Story of A Quarryman out of place in the setlist, just minor quibbling.  But your quality and attention to other details are beauties to behold!  Thanks again.

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

OMG, this is a monster thread ... it seems to me like it even has more pages than the RAH thread used to have ... lol.

It was indeed a great festival and so much fun meeting everyone. Have to sing the praises of Camp Cathy once more - it was really one of a kind. And I agree with Sandy - I have NEVER seen a cleaner deck than Cathy´s when George was done power washing! Good boy!! lol
I was very happy with the set list this time, I started missing some of the rocking tunes lately ... Lonesome Road Blues just gets better every time (hats off to Mr. Melick as well...;)) and HTCT rocked. Nice Firebird!
It was the first time I saw the Derek Trucks band and I was really blown away ... much soul, much intensity, much "band sound". "Anyday" sounded like heaven to me ...
Joe´s jam with Derek - big time, even in shorts and flip flops! 

I also wish we could have something like that every month ...

Eva

RICjunkie wrote:

Does anyone know the story on the paper mache likeness of Joe mounted in front of Rick's setup? Is Rick the artist? A very good likeness I thought!

The Festival had one of Joe and one of Derek ... Joe thought it was funny, so it was strapped to Rick´s piano...

eva wrote:

The Festival had one of Joe and one of Derek ... Joe thought it was funny, so it was strapped to Rick´s piano...

haha THAT'S the reason. Thanks for clearing that up... I loved it

-Eric

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

292 (edited by Rocket 2009-09-02 11:45:42)

moemoephoto wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Once again very nice.  I still don't know how you have no pictures of Rick Melick (I see his left arm in one & him in #16, but none of just him) though. He does tend to blend in perfectly, however.  And you have The Story of A Quarryman out of place in the setlist, just minor quibbling.  But your quality and attention to other details are beauties to behold!  Thanks again.

Rocket

Rocket, you are right.   I do not have any solo shots of him.  He is clear in 16 and 29.  Unfortunely Keyboard players are tough to get solo photos of, I was lucky with Kofi of the Derek Trucks Band photos because Kofi is at the front of the stage.  However when you are in the back of the stage and behind keys, it makes it tough.  I was going to try to get some solo shots of him but by then, the crowd on the left side was pretty thick righ in front.... i never would have got a shot through the heads. sad

I am glad you like the others though! smile

Also, which is the correct placement for that song?

Drummers usually do the hiding too. Actually your setlist looks like Jane's version which was not in order.  Here's the order. 

The Ballad of John Henry
So, It's Like That
The Last Kiss
So Many Roads
Had To Cry Today
Further On Up the Road (Absolutely amazing solo in this one)
The Great Flood
Woke Up Dreaming
Ball Peen Hammer? I think the sun got to us concerning the setlist!  This is in the wrong place I think or maybe I dreamed it was played even
Ain't Supertstitious Intro / Just Got Paid / Dazed & Confused
India / Mountain Time

Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

JBSRV wrote:

Good news!!!!! The Derek Trucks show (including the jam with Joe) is available for free download at this link here http://www.archive.org/details/DerekTrucksBand listening to the Joe jam now..... so good.

This is nice because I had to leave Derek's set after that song. I hate having to leave early sad

-Eric

Thank you Eric!! "Anyday" makes me smile again ... love it! smile
What a shame you had to leave so early though ...

Eva

I FORGOT to give Mr & Mrs Woofy credit & thanks for my badge.  Jeesh!

MuchThanks
BigBurntOut

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

No problem...you see the gubmint does give back!

Awestruck

296 (edited by Amsterhammer 2009-09-05 21:32:30)

Jane H. wrote:

yes thanks again woofy. BTW I don't know what happened to the ones of people we didn't meet up with....

...but even though it was real hot we did luck out rain wise. we had some just awful weather before and after the few days around the fest. i think it was a meant to be sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure that Cathy had/has the bag with the remaining badges and yes, thanks again for the sterling effort, woofy!

I agree that it was definitely a "meant to be sort of thing"! big_smile

edit - what a monster topic this has turned into!! Who woulda thunk it, 24 pages and over 11k hits? Amazing. HAB may have to become a 'fixture' for us in future. cool

edit 2 - must have been blind or....... roll

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

eva wrote:
JBSRV wrote:

Good news!!!!! The Derek Trucks show (including the jam with Joe) is available for free download at this link here http://www.archive.org/details/DerekTrucksBand listening to the Joe jam now..... so good.

This is nice because I had to leave Derek's set after that song. I hate having to leave early sad

-Eric

Eva

I love that song! I got a video of it.... I'll try to put it up soon tongue

-Eric

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

JBSRV wrote:
eva wrote:

Eva

I love that song! I got a video of it.... I'll try to put it up soon tongue

-Eric

Yes, pleeeeease! smile It´s one of my definite "desert island songs" ... I can hear it anytime, anyday ... wink

Eva

Well it's now 3 weeks past HAB and this thread is still going, wow!  I'm finally posting... nice not to have to dig for the thread.  In these weeks I've only gotten to this site a few times (normally I'm here almost every day), and each time after catching up with reading and watching vids and looking at pics, I was too tired to post! tongue

Anyway, I wanted to say how nice it was to meet and chat with everyone... not even going to attempt to list names.  But I'm afraid I somehow missed a lot of you... not sure how, as I was there all day and tried to makes the rounds... oh well, next time. wink

I thought Old Man Brown was a strong opener.  Chopteeth was less my thing, although not bad at all.  I thought Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit were really good... wouldn't hesitate to see them again if the chance arises.  No comments needed about Joe's performance... I will let "WOW!" suffice, lol.  And I'm almost certain this was my first Derek Trucks show... saw the Allmans a handful of times in the 90s, pretty sure all before he joined... anyway, another "wow"... just love his style!  And I believe the Joe/Derek jam was the highlight of the day... very cool. cool

By the way, I am going to TRY to make a Derek Trucks Band show at the Sherman Theatre in Stroudsburg PA on Nov 4th.  As an added bonus, it's just been confirmed that the opener is MiZ... I just caught these guys for the first time last weekend and I REALLY like them... not blues per se, there's a little of everything in there... I'd love to turn more people on to them, and opening for Derek is a big opportunity for them.  Anyway, I'm looking for somebody to go with or meet up with there... my usual partner in crime (my taper friend) is busy that night (at a Miley Cyrus concert, of all things, lol... taking his daughter for her birthday... but there will be a fine recording available for download afterwards, if anyone is in need of such a thing for their kiddies, lol).  Well this is a ways off yet and I'll probably start another thread about it as the time gets closer... just thought I'd mention it awhile, plant the seed, hehe... wink

Here's a show link (and I don't know what's up with the ticket prices, but they're supposed to be $29, $39 & $49: http://www.shermantheater.com/index.cfm … ctId=26403

And if anyone wants to check out MiZ, here's a link to listen and/or download the show I was at last weekend... 1st set is Mike Miz solo, 2nd set is the whole band MiZ, and the final song (a beautiful Hallelujah cover) is solo... enjoy: http://www.archive.org/details/miz2009- … sbd.flac16

--Vik cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6YlZIlcdZA

DTB- Anyday

more coming

-Eric

301 (edited by cathysiler 2009-09-08 08:33:33)

I need to post a BIG thanks to Sandy for my JB Zippo!! I asked her what I would have gotten had I let her sleep IN the house :D. This event proved there is no bad gathering of the faithful.

Moemoephoto...I've thought about your comments under Joe's pix and your response to my initial comment. As someone who has watched Joe over years, I think you misunderstand his animation. When asked if he's a Bluesman, Joe has answered that he's a Showman. By this he means that people pay good money to see him and he feels obligated to give them the fullest experience.What you perceive as "antics", I see as an artist getting into the show as much as I am, a shared experience. And, while I have mountains of respect for Derek Trucks, and know he's a warm guy off stage, I'll  take a performer who acknowledges his audience any day. I hope you see this as an explanation and not any attempt to cause hostilities..I'm old and well medicated...peace..Cathy

(...a letter moved here and there....ed.)

cathysiler wrote:

I need to post a BIG thanks to Sandy for my JB Zippo!! I asked her what I would have gotten had I let her sleep IN the house big_smile. This event proved there is no bad gathering of the faithful.

Glad you are enjoying the Zippo, Cathy.  I know you were lusting after mine.  That whole weekend was so special and so great, I really hope we can do it all again.  As for sleeping in the house - well - I really enjoyed listening to the frogs all night, and being up early makes for some great pictures.  All of my companions felt so comfortable with all of you - like we had known each other for years instead of just days or hours (and my brother is very much a loner at times-I don't think he thought about his computer or his fishing the whole weekend).  Just more proof that this forum is home to a very special group of people.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

RICjunkie wrote:

It took me all morning to get these uploaded. I hate this new broadband card I'm telling yas!

Anyhow, doesn't Joe look great in white? The band sounded super tight. I hope you agree!

Sorry about the camera shaking. I was sitting between Jane and Libby but that had nothing to do with it. LOL! tongue

I agree with you RICjunkie. The band really sounded like super tight. However, can I know what kind of broadband you are using for you to have the reason to hate that one?

304 (edited by RICjunkie 2009-12-10 16:27:28)

MaryJeanOcsan09 wrote:
RICjunkie wrote:

It took me all morning to get these uploaded. I hate this new broadband card I'm telling yas!

Anyhow, doesn't Joe look great in white? The band sounded super tight. I hope you agree!

Sorry about the camera shaking. I was sitting between Jane and Libby but that had nothing to do with it. LOL! tongue

I agree with you RICjunkie. The band really sounded like super tight. However, can I know what kind of broadband you are using for you to have the reason to hate that one?

Hi Mary Jean, welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself under the "introductions" section.

The broadband card I had at the time was on AT&T network. I'm thinking the glut of new Iphones were hogging the broadband. I've switched to Verizon and it works much better now.

Major Tom to ground control...

Jane H. wrote:

Since this thread got brought back up, I'd like to mention that I have asked Santa to see what he can do about getting Joe back to cockeysville to headline this fest sometime, hopefully 2010.

also I AM IN SERIOUS NEED FOR A PHOTO OF A PARTICULAR MOMENT:
Hopefully i can describe this right. during the mountain Time intro Joe held the guitar straight out, I believe with one hand, with it straight up and down like with the headstock? thingie portion at the top while sustaining a note. I NEED TO HAVE A PHOTO OF THAT from THIS show, when he was infusing the hills with the music.
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile

Hi Jane,
I'll look through my photos and see if I have that one.  I remember that moment perfectly big_smile

cathysiler wrote:

WOW! Just got a call from Tarus52 and checked out the site...there it was!!! Now, when they say HOT August Blues...that's hot and humid...but this is worth all that sweat. My calendar is marked!!   Cathy

http://www.hotaugustblues.com/lineup/

OH, I almost forgot...Happy B-Day Bob (Tarus52)!!!!

That looks a great event and line-up !

smile

Joe Live In Rotherham....not too long to go now !