253 (edited by cathysiler 2009-08-21 18:02:51)

Re: Joe, Derek Trucks, Old Man Brown at Hot August Blues in Md. !!!

Thanks for all the nice comments. I am of the opinion that we all would do the same for each other. After visiting my house, it's clear there is no tidiness standard..lol..Save your money for shows!
As for the sound mix, I now understand why Joe has his own mixing board. I thought J.B. & Co. were clear and the mix was even. I was sitting center, second row. By contrast, I thought Derek's mix was muddy with too much bass, not enough midrange...but I'm just a listener.
Again, much love to you all..    Cathy

G says he'll post after he gets back to Amsterdam. In the mean time here's an e-mail I received from HAB.

Thank you everyone for making the 17th Annual Hot August Blues festival
the 1st ever sell out since we moved from the old farm in Monkton to
Oregon Ridge.

As we put this year's festival line-up together, we knew that there would
be a strong response from all of you.  What we never imagined was the
overwhelming support and attendance that we all experienced at the 17th
Annual HAB.

As this festival continues to grow and evolve, we too understand that we
must do the same.  Therefore, it is our pledge to you our fans to work as
hard as we can to improve your experience.

What does that mean to the HAB crew:

1) Continue to find world class artists for your entertainment
2) Improve the services that we provide during the festival
3) Cut down lines for food, beer & water
4) Provide additional restrooms
5) Build on the friendly environment created by the HAB staff

We produce this festival for you! So please email us back with ways that
we can help make this festival an annual destination for you! We promise
to answer back personally every question/comment/concern or kind words.

Thanks again & we hope to see you all next year for the 18th Hot August
Blues.

cathysiler wrote:

Blues.

The festival was great! My only small criticism was the tents and the umbrellas. I don't know if it was on the web site that these were allowed. I know it was hot, but when a couple of folks came up and sat in front of my wife and I and immediately opened a big umbrella, we had no choice but to move as we could no longer see the stage. The tents were not as obtrusive, were they available for rent at the festival?

blueshand wrote:
cathysiler wrote:

Blues.

The festival was great! My only small criticism was the tents and the umbrellas. I don't know if it was on the web site that these were allowed. I know it was hot, but when a couple of folks came up and sat in front of my wife and I and immediately opened a big umbrella, we had no choice but to move as we could no longer see the stage. The tents were not as obtrusive, were they available for rent at the festival?

Sorry we didn't meet Blueshand. Always nice to hear from another Maryland fan. Next time...You are allowed to bring tents. The offical J.B. tent was up on the hill. (Thanks Paul and Co.) Next time we'll have a banner and hope others do the same across the country. All fans are welcomed and appreciated! Paul set-up in an area approved by the organizers. There will always be those who are oblivious to others..as Jane would say "grumble, grumble...". We'll push for Joe to headline next year..we might even get some more friends from across the pond..

I need to also say "Sorry George"..I guess keeping your wallet in my purse wasn't such a good idea..(redfaced)..You're mid-Atlantic now, I hope the meds from your Doctor and a few drinks have helped you forget the wild adventure of getting to the airport in Philly during Friday work traffic and thunder storms, and the rest...
Cathy

cathysiler wrote:

I need to also say "Sorry George"..I guess keeping your wallet in my purse wasn't such a good idea..(redfaced)..You're mid-Atlantic now, I hope the meds from your Doctor and a few drinks have helped you forget the wild adventure of getting to the airport in Philly during Friday work traffic and thunder storms, and the rest...
Cathy

Cathy has already spilled the beans, but here’s the story.

‘A nightmare with a silver lining’

We left Cathy’s at around 2:30-ish to get to me to Philly in good time for my 6:35 pm flight. Rain. Thunderstorms. Roads with so much water on them you had to slow right down. After paying toll on I-95 we ran into what looked like a mega jam, so we took the first exit and decided to use one of the many possible alternative routes to get to Philly. We kept ignoring the Tomtom as Cathy assured me it was trying to take us back to I-95, where we didn’t want to go. At some point, Cathy put my wallet in her handbag (it was uncomfortable to sit on), as we were intending to spend some time together at the airport before I went through security.

Lost in Delaware. We eventually wound up driving all the way across Wilmington with much rain and rapidly diminishing time. Then we found ourselves stuck in a jam in pouring rain in some horrible industrial suburb called Marcus Hook, where a car had broken down just where two lanes were merging. I was starting to get seriously worried as it was past 5 pm by this time and I also desperately needed a bathroom. There was no longer any question of having time together at the airport. The question was: would I miss my flight?

The last few miles of I-95 to the airport were clear, and we pulled up outside at 5:40, which left me in a hurry, but ok. I checked my bags after a bathroom stop and went outside for a last smoke. It was then that I discovered my missing wallet, safely in Cathy’s bag headed back towards Maryland in Friday evening Philly traffic. I immediately called her cell – no answer – much swearing on my part – called again, no answer, even more swearing – called again and she finally answered.

Cathy arrived back at curbside at 6:12 precisely. I had already alerted US Air about my, er, problem, asking that they please not leave without me. The guy at the counter alerted the gate and I ran to security, where three stewardesses suddenly appeared in front of me (flight crew can just barge into any security line!). I was not happy and they were unsympathetic. By this time I was just about giving up hope…naturally, my gate was the very last one on a long pier without moving walkways so I literally ran (three bags, 60 years old and unfit!) to the gate…..where the attendant addressed me by name and told me how lucky I was, as they were on the verge of closing the door and unloading my luggage. The TSA lady at the gate then had to confirm that I was, in fact, the ‘late’ passenger, after which I was sent down the walkway where I became, for the first time in my life, the last passenger to board.

As it turned out, there were other forces at play. We left the pier 10 minutes late and then spent another 90 minutes on the ground in a long line of planes waiting for our turn to take off (there had been storms nearby and NY airspace was backed up, hence our delay. Because I was the last one in, I was easily spotted by a stewardess whom I recognized from the flight three weeks before. She took pity on me and moved me to a row of three by myself, a luxury I have not experienced since last century!

The few drinks I needed with my pill turned out to be the most expensive small cans of Heineken I've ever bought at $7 a hit. But, they and the pill did the trick and I actually managed to sleep a few hours!

Talk about ‘phew’!! big_smile

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:
cathysiler wrote:

Cathy

Cathy has already spilled the beans, but here’s the story.

‘A nightmare with a silver lining’

We left Cathy’s at around 2:30-ish to get to me to Philly in good time for my 6:35 pm flight. Rain. Thunderstorms. Roads with so much water on them you had to slow right down. After paying toll on I-95 we ran into what looked like a mega jam, so we took the first exit and decided to use one of the many possible alternative routes to get to Philly. We kept ignoring the Tomtom as Cathy assured me it was trying to take us back to I-95, where we didn’t want to go. At some point, Cathy put my wallet in her handbag (it was uncomfortable to sit on), as we were intending to spend some time together at the airport before I went through security.

Lost in Delaware. We eventually wound up driving all the way across Wilmington with much rain and rapidly diminishing time. Then we found ourselves stuck in a jam in pouring rain in some horrible industrial suburb called Marcus Hook, where a car had broken down just where two lanes were merging. I was starting to get seriously worried as it was past 5 pm by this time and I also desperately needed a bathroom. There was no longer any question of having time together at the airport. The question was: would I miss my flight?

The last few miles of I-95 to the airport were clear, and we pulled up outside at 5:40, which left me in a hurry, but ok. I checked my bags after a bathroom stop and went outside for a last smoke. It was then that I discovered my missing wallet, safely in Cathy’s bag headed back towards Maryland in Friday evening Philly traffic. I immediately called her cell – no answer – much swearing on my part – called again, no answer, even more swearing – called again and she finally answered.

Cathy arrived back at curbside at 6:12 precisely. I had already alerted US Air about my, er, problem, asking that they please not leave without me. The guy at the counter alerted the gate and I ran to security, where three stewardesses suddenly appeared in front of me (flight crew can just barge into any security line!). I was not happy and they were unsympathetic. By this time I was just about giving up hope…naturally, my gate was the very last one on a long pier without moving walkways so I literally ran (three bags, 60 years old and unfit!) to the gate…..where the attendant addressed me by name and told me how lucky I was, as they were on the verge of closing the door and unloading my luggage. The TSA lady at the gate then had to confirm that I was, in fact, the ‘late’ passenger, after which I was sent down the walkway where I became, for the first time in my life, the last passenger to board.

As it turned out, there were other forces at play. We left the pier 10 minutes late and then spent another 90 minutes on the ground in a long line of planes waiting for our turn to take off (there had been storms nearby and NY airspace was backed up, hence our delay. Because I was the last one in, I was easily spotted by a stewardess whom I recognized from the flight three weeks before. She took pity on me and moved me to a row of three by myself, a luxury I have not experienced since last century!

The few drinks I needed with my pill turned out to be the most expensive small cans of Heineken I've ever bought at $7 a hit. But, they and the pill did the trick and I actually managed to sleep a few hours!

Talk about ‘phew’!! big_smile

Great story!!

Back to the topic....everything I might say about the show and about how much fun it was to meet so many forum names and be able to put faces to them, has already been said. I've got some pics to post, but that'll have to wait till tomorrow.

I thought the boys played an exceptional set! I was particularly delighted to hear HTCT live for the first time and I thought that Mountain Time worked really well as the encore. We all noticed that there were many times more Joe shirts on show than Derek ones. cool

But my abiding crowd image was Jane and Rocket head-banging in unison! Wish I had that on film! 'The' moment of the festival for me however, was the following.

Another story - everyone was speculating whether Joe would jam with Derek. 'The word' was that Joe and band would in any event be staying to watch Derek play.

Backstage, after the show -

Me - So, are you gonna jam with Derek?

Joe - I haven't been asked.

Me - You haven't been asked?? (voice dripping with incredulity)

Joe - No, he has to ask me.

Me - Oh....hmmm

Eva, Libby, Jeff, Rocket and George confer......Derek wanders in.....words are whispered...pictures are taken....

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1716/dscn3300u.jpg

A few minutes later I head for the door where Joe is talking to someone, intending to say goodbye till November, and return outside to the killer heat. The other guy leaves and before I can talk to Joe, Derek appears in front of me....

Derek - You hangin' around?

Joe - Yeah, we're here till 11, we thought we'd catch your set.

Derek - Wanna play?

Joe - Sure, but my stuff's all packed.Got a guitar for me?

Derek - Well, I've got a '59 Gibson Les Paul you can play (I'm no expert, but I think I read somewhere that this guitar is worth half a million bucks!! - correct me if I'm wrong)

Joe - Great! Got an amp?

Derek - Sure, so we're good?

Joe - Absolutely, as long as you don't mind me playing in shorts and flip-flops.

Derek - No problem.

This was right in front of me with no one else around. After lifting my jaw off the floor I had the presence of mind to grab this -

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7057/dscn3301c.jpg

Derek is clearly acknowledging the master. lol

RIP Iron Man

259 (edited by Wooders 2009-08-23 00:27:14)

Hi George,

Thanks for relating these two great stories. You certainly know how to tell 'em! big_smile  The first one sounds a bit hair raising, though. yikes

Well done for getting backstage and taking some terrific pics of the Bonabuddies with Derek and it really does look like Derek is deferring to Joe - he's almost bowing. lol

With the RAH and HAB gigs and seeing Joe a few more times in between, you're having a fantastic year. I'm quite envious. wink

Phil
PS are you a fan of Derek now? smile

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

260 (edited by bigjeffjones 2009-08-23 01:25:40)

Yeah G, I remember... This whole thing reminds me of an event that transpired when Tom Dowd (RIP) (and the Rocket, The Hammer and the Doctor) were much younger men.

Eric Clapton & Duane Allman met and their respective talents and mastery was mutually acknowledged and held sacred.

It is about the music, people and our love thereof.  Look at Joe's eyes.  He is pleased big_smile  The parallels are a coinkydink?

MuchLove
FDOL

EDITZ: Come to think of it, I was pleased as well.  And Phil... I am a Derek fan...yup yup yup.  Todd is little big man...rolling thunder.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

OK more about my trip:
Miserable on the way up.  But I made it to hugs and kisses all around at Sister Cate's magic kingdom.  But to pick up where I left off earlier...after Joe jammed with Derek, I headed up the hill curious about the mix out front.  I returned to find Carmine gone.  I guess old WhosieWhat rushed them out before traffic got nuts.

I had intended to introduce Todd Smallie to Carmine Rojas, but that didn't happen.  So I chatted for a few more minutes with Todd and Derek, where I saw Spider and RICjunkie and Jimmy lurking.  So we rejoined our forces, wrasseled down the minivan.  It was fighting with George, so I flung a leg over it and together we pummeled it to submission.  Then we drove (ALL of us) back to Camp Cathy's.

I was late moving out in the morning so I went a bit later to Jane's.  Jane Dear!  Thank you for that fabulous spread and your hospitality...nice -place.  I checked your neck to see if there was any damage from head bangin right down front.  But you looked strong.  With the whole gang there, I ate like the little piggy that I am and laughed and did my "Seasick Watermelon Slim Steve"  impersonation... um... one for the alkies...

Dean, Melissa, Amelia & Nico were there...and the dog!  "Doncha be eyeballing mah poultry there furface!"  lol  I left there and headed to Florida.  Tuesday I was home.

MuchMachoYo
Adventurer

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

LMAO! You guys/gals always bring me a smile when I need it the most.

Geez Cathy, do you suppose thats why I don't have lines????

Love you all. I hope we get together again very soon!

Stay Safe
me

George that was the closest call (seconds yikes) and then trying to get hold of Cathy on the phone.. panic!  and the hostess remembering you too .. what a great story told there and the quotes from the Joe/Derek meet "flip flops. no problem" big_smile
Big Jeff's ventures too all the other great stories coming from what sounds like an
unforgettable fun weekend
Thanks for all the fun posts in this marvellous thread
Wonder what and where the next major get toether will be ?

........................ Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Spider wrote:

Stay Safe
me

Babyface. big_smile

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

bigjeffjones wrote:
Spider wrote:

Stay Safe
me

Babyface. big_smile

That's exactly the one word reply I was gonna  post but didn't. lol

(Really good to meet you, Andy!) wink

RIP Iron Man

266 (edited by Rocket 2009-08-24 19:35:18)

Did anybody else take notice of Joe playing with a Bogner amp?  In the place where he would normally have the Marshall.  I noticed the difference and really liked it.  I had a "headbang-up" time of enjoyment with it's attributes cool !!!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket I'm surprised that neither you nor Jane walked out of there with a case of whiplash! lol

Major Tom to ground control...

Rocket wrote:

Did anybody else take notice of Joe playing with a Bogner amp?  In the place where he would normally have the Marshall.  I noticed the difference and really liked it.  I had a "headbang-up" time of enjoyment with it's attributes cool !!!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

He switches the Bogner out with the Cat 5. He still uses the Marshall Jub as his base sound.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 955097557/

Apparently, it's 18 years old.

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/search. … 1795146380

269 (edited by Rocket 2009-08-25 07:36:22)

RICjunkie wrote:

Rocket I'm surprised that neither you nor Jane walked out of there with a case of whiplash! lol

My neck is ROCK ON hard with extreme fluidity and the brain has taken worse punishment than that by far.  Besides, everything recalibrated to normal when I was backstage and saw Joe and Derek separately and guided them into jammin' together (it didn't seem very hard to do, like they both were hoping the other would bring it up).  That wasn't planned, but I just HAD to head bang with Dear Jane, so I had planned on doing it at the most appropriate time and that were it!  And we both enjoyed it more than it was appearing even!!!

ROCK ON &  Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:
RICjunkie wrote:

My neck is ROCK ON hard with extreme fluidity and the brain has taken worse punishment than that by far.  Besides, everything recalibrated to normal when I was backstage and saw Joe and Derek and guided them into jammin' together (it didn't seem very hard to do, like they both were hoping the other would bring it up).  That wasn't planned, but I just HAD to head bang with Dear Jane, so I had planned on doing it at the most appropriate time and that were it!  And we both enjoyed it more than it was appearing even!!!

ROCK ON &  Keep the Faith,
Rocket

You make me smile from ear to ear!

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184