Re: Joe, Derek Trucks, Old Man Brown at Hot August Blues in Md. !!!

jim m wrote:

More of the jam with Derek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7vZ6b6jsKE

That was like a great big helping of dessert Jim!  Yummy  wink

pattyluvs cool

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Let me just say that it was VERY cool (despite the blistering heat) to meet so many of the faces from the forums, my only regret is that I didn't get to really enjoy that much of Joe's set with anyone as I ended up having to wait in line to get food for my honey, whose timing could have been better :-/

It was really nice to meet and chat (albeit briefly) with everyone, and hopefully you'll forgive me if I left your name out of the list, but including, not limited to:  Spider, Tom (Ric) Susan, Ken, Rocket, Butterfly, Eva, Gunter, JBRules (Paul) and his friend...Mike?  Libby (who I really would have liked to chat more with but lucky girl got herself backstage during Derek's set), JBSRV (Eric), GotMule (Ben) and FuzzyWuzzy (Jack).  We really should do this again sometime soon!

Joe and the boys put on an amazing show, as always....but I'd forgotten how much raw power they really hold over an audience....the crowd dug 'em....bigtime....I heard quite a few people walking around afterwards going "man...that guy was incredible!"

Til' next time...

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

jim m wrote:

hey that's jimi's "Who Knows"

cool version.... very groovy!!

238 (edited by ken 2009-08-18 14:59:15)

Tripod wrote:
jim m wrote:

Here's the first solo break of the song with Derek and Joe. I heard this from the audio download (thanks to Eric) but haven't seen video until now, and don't think it's been posted here yet. Joe really tears this on up. I think you can also see Joe realizing that he's playing the real thing after his solo. He looks at the serial number on the back of the guitar and comments to someone (maybe the owner?) backstage. Funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qvYkJEt … re=channel

ken wrote:
Tripod wrote:
jim m wrote:

Here's the first solo break of the song with Derek and Joe. I heard this from the audio download (thanks to Eric) but haven't seen video until now, and don't think it's been posted here yet. Joe really tears this on up. I think you can also see Joe realizing that he's playing the real thing after his solo. He looks at the serial number on the back of the guitar and comments to someone (maybe the owner?) backstage. Funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qvYkJEt … re=channel

That is really a cool clip Ken, thanks for posting.

Music is good for the Soul...

It was fun but I left right after Joe.  With the heat and waiting for food and drink we decided to go back to the hotel.  It was our anniversary also.  It was great seeing so many Bonabuddies.  JBRules is one funny dude!

Awestruck

Thanks to everyone for all the reviews, and videos. I feel a little bit like I was there tongue
It was great to see on one of the videos some of the Bonabuddies enjoying the show, Eva, Gunther, Cathy, George and Rocket to name a few!

It certainly was a Bonabonanza!

Tripsy smile

Just got back to Texas this afternoon...catching up with all of the posts..

An amazing show..a really nice setting for a show..We had an awesome long weekend checking out the area.

Really enjoyed meeting  fellow JB fans from all over.. thanks for the hospitality.

Thanks to everyone that has posted videos...

Tim

Well, it has only taken me 3 days to get to this - this was such an unreal day it's taken me a while to process everything.

First, a huge thank you to Cathy and George for their lovely hospitality in the house in the enchanted forest for the weekend (by the way George that was the cleanest deck I had ever seen).  It was the perfect place for a perfect weekend.

It was so nice to get reacquainted with some Bonabuddies, and to meet so many new ones.  It is great to put names with the faces, but I am not going to name names here because I am sure I will forget somebody.  It was great seeing and meeting you all.  Special thanks go to JBRules for the lovely shade, and kudos to Eric for getting his family to plan a vacation around this (wish I could have pulled that one off for Woodstock 40 years ago).

Joe put on his usual awesome show, the red Thunderbird Gibson was a stunner.  I especially enjoyed Joe and Carmine's "duet"  during Mountain Time, and THANK YOU, Joe, for playing "Had to Cry Today" - it has always been one of my favorites and it was great to hear it again.

Derek was the bonus - and what a bonus his band was, and seeing Joe and Derek playing together was a gift without equal.

Hope we can do this again sometime in the not to distant future!

And Jane - sorry I missed your brunch, but it was a long drive home.

Here's pictures:

Bonabuddies:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 079673410/

Joe:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 955097557/

Derek (and Joe):  http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 954851715/

Enjoy!

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Jane H. wrote:

srxman2001 any chance you had a white Joe t with the red and black oval from the ANDY days (I have one but i got it off ebay)? I saw someone headed up  the hill and i wanted to say i liked their shirt but didn't see home again.
anyway thanks for the video

Hi Jane,  I dont think that was me you saw.  Although we did spend most of the day on the hill under the trees on the right side.  Sandy posted this picture with me in  it while I was talking to Eva and Gunther.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 079673410/

Doug

245 (edited by Spider 2009-08-19 05:55:45)

Carl it was nice to meet you too. Glad we got to chat a lil bit.

I now realize what the MD stands for. Mad Doctor! big_smile lol

Sandy,

These pictures are wonderful! Looks like you caught the entire experience including Cathy's forest. Thanks so much for sharing them. smile

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Hi Sandy,

You’ve certainly taken some great pics. smile  Lovely to see so many Bonabuddies there I recognise.
It looks like you all had a fantastic time. Knowing how much you love Derek and Joe, you must have been in heaven seeing them playing together. wink

With so many fantastic pics you’re going to have a hard time choosing which to use for next year’s calendar. lol

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

I will start by saying BonaBuddies are my BonaFamily.  Just Lovely.  I have to put aside my tongue in cheek attitude about some guitarists. tongue  Jack, Ben, Eric, Ken & Tom ate BBQ with me at the festival.  I will never forget that.  Thank you fellas!

Andy was out and about in his spiderchair.  Sandy and crew, I forgot to give you my pass to take pics.  Sorry, I was caught up! smile  General Bob send me a gift pak, please.  Watching the elders out kvetch one another was quite amazing. lol  Two mother hens.  I love you guys immensely.  Respect!  What a house in the forest.  I regret that I did not jam more than a minute with Jimmy.  Good man.  Eva Darling and Guenter (much Love) are amazing English speakers and musicologists.  The forest buzzed with good karma. 

Squatting on the hill at the festival, I felt Libby stir the force.  I turned my head and there she was.  Cosmic.  I met with my brothers in the band...what a joy.  What laughs we shared. 

As usual Joe came, preached to the masses and converted the uninitiated.  What a set.  Jane & Rocket right down front with so many others.  Joe had to exert some influence to quiet some over zealous staff.  They don't know who Melissa is. 

Had To Cry today was a surprise and a tour-de-force.   Carmine and Joe just ripped several songs into little bitty pieces.  They rocked hard.  So many roads is a soulful nod to us old school blunatics...thanks Joe.

Derek Trucks Band:  A jazzy, soulful, southern olio with influences from Allman Brothers to Miles Davis to Africa.  The mix was a bit harsh, though.  Sometimes the sound crew needs a flogging.  It's a travesty.  As Derek headed out the door towards the stage, I asked him if he was going to speak to Joe.  He grinned at me and said, "I already did." smile

I'll print more later.  Going to work now.

MuchLove
BigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Excellent BJJ, summed up as only you can! smile

Roy

Joe is the Best!

I unfortunately did not get to meet any of you folks, and I am sorry I did not. Joe was better than ever and I know he converted a ton of folks. How can he not? He is unbelievable!
There is one thing I was disappointed with, and that was the sound mix for the bass. I noticed the same thing when I saw Joe at The Birchmere in Alexandria, VA a few months back. The bass sounded muddy, without clarity. Dereks bass player's sound was much cleaner, I could distinguish all notes. I play bass as well as guitar, and this is important to me. Anyone else notice this? I sat around in different places, although I spent most of the show right behind the rope and this issue was present no matter where I was.

Joe

bigjeffjones wrote:

I will start by saying BonaBuddies are my BonaFamily.  Just Lovely.  I have to put aside my tongue in cheek attitude about some guitarists. tongue  Jack, Ben, Eric, Ken & Tom ate BBQ with me at the festival.  I will never forget that.  Thank you fellas!

Andy was out and about in his spiderchair.  Sandy and crew, I forgot to give you my pass to take pics.  Sorry, I was caught up! smile  General Bob send me a gift pak, please.  Watching the elders out kvetch one another was quite amazing. lol  Two mother hens.  I love you guys immensely.  Respect!  What a house in the forest.  I regret that I did not jam more than a minute with Jimmy.  Good man.  Eva Darling and Guenter (much Love) are amazing English speakers and musicologists.  The forest buzzed with good karma. 

Squatting on the hill at the festival, I felt Libby stir the force.  I turned my head and there she was.  Cosmic.  I met with my brothers in the band...what a joy.  What laughs we shared. 

As usual Joe came, preached to the masses and converted the uninitiated.  What a set.  Jane & Rocket right down front with so many others.  Joe had to exert some influence to quiet some over zealous staff.  They don't know who Melissa is. 

Had To Cry today was a surprise and a tour-de-force.   Carmine and Joe just ripped several songs into little bitty pieces.  They rocked hard.  So many roads is a soulful nod to us old school blunatics...thanks Joe.

Derek Trucks Band:  A jazzy, soulful, southern olio with influences from Allman Brothers to Miles Davis to Africa.  The mix was a bit harsh, though.  Sometimes the sound crew needs a flogging.  It's a travesty.  As Derek headed out the door towards the stage, I asked him if he was going to speak to Joe.  He grinned at me and said, "I already did." smile

I'll print more later.  Going to work now.

MuchLove
BigJeff

251 (edited by RICjunkie 2009-08-21 17:45:48)

Back at cha Big Jeff! I enjoyed spending a few moments with the legend of the Florida swamps big_smile
I live on 'cue whenever I'm down south. Heck, there are even some decent northern barbecue joints believe it if you will.
Blues, brews and barbecue make the rockin world go round!

Yeah, what a big happy family we are! Great people! (even bass players! LOL!)

Until next time big guy! I'll get my order in for some of that sweet and sassy salsa soon.

Blueshand, I hear ya. I wish Carmine would "turn it up to 11" tongue

Major Tom to ground control...

RICjunkie wrote:

Blueshand, I hear ya. I wish Carmine would "turn it up to 11"

Yeah, the volume seemed fine, just had trouble distinguishing individual notes. Mostly thumping. Since the same thing happened in an indoor venue as well as an outdoor venue, I believe the problem is either with the instrument or the amp. Carmine is a good player, it is a shame he cannot be heard better.