91 (edited by Jane H. 2011-09-15 06:01:18)

Re: The Pain and Sorrow appreciation thread

Oh thanks Rocket, that makes more sense. I shouldn't have quoted without the middle context. And context was a huge theme through my thoughts yesterday.

I guess I would agree although I don't crave to hear P&S acoustic. Maybe I would like it if it did.  hmm

XLK9 wrote:

The original by Jake Holmes was I believe.

The point I failed to make is that P&S holds up as an actual song and not just a masterful guitar workout.

I understand and agree it is a great song and might be good as an acoustic.However I like vanilla ice cream but after having it with chocolate syrup ,whipped cream and a cherry on top,I might not order the ice cream as plain vanilla given a choice.Oh darn got a hunkering for it now lol.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

93 (edited by Jane H. 2012-02-29 12:29:59)

so yeah now that i have been past my - 'it has to be JBB band era 02-05 to be right' thing a while back, I now really would love to hear what Derek Sherinian would add to Joe's playing on this one - along with other band fantasies as mentioned previously and/or still just in my head and heart

well it also make me think how wickedly awesome Its Too Late for the Sun would be live and extended but that is kind of another topic i guess

What a great topic it would be though. Love that track, especially in the car on the Bose system, up loud and personal.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

I listened to Tangier for the umpteenth time today. It hit the spot that needed hitting.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Indeed it is a classic,but i also love the way Kenny's drums pound along throughout,subtle in places but ,for the most part,stamp on this track! Any drummers out there to comment on that?

Come on you Blades!

Ooooh! Just seen my last post as 399,so this one's.....cool!

Come on you Blades!

401...... just got back from sister's house,lazy sunday,walked her dog on the shore,got feet wet in solway firth,,chilled with sunday papers,watched spurs v man u on tv,had roast beef dinner and then Top Gear on BBC2. Got home and prepared stuff for work on Monday,put i-pod on bose portable in kitchen...first track?.....Nils Lofgren's Keith Don't Go acoustic,THEN....... PAIN &SORROW ! Marvellous,poured a Crown Royal on the rocks and typed this.....aren't Sundays great?

Come on you Blades!

I love this song too. I stated this before, but I was fortunate enough to be there the last time this was performed live...October 15, 2005 at Shank Hall. This show was the last of that tour, having been rescheduled from a week or so before because joe had been sick.
That was also Eric and Kenny's last official show.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:

I love this song too. I stated this before, but I was fortunate enough to be there the last time this was performed live...October 15, 2005 at Shank Hall. This show was the last of that tour, having been rescheduled from a week or so before because joe had been sick.
That was also Eric and Kenny's last official show.

What a very, very, lucky man you were, Bill! I'm trying not to let the envy gnaw at my insides. wink

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Funny how things work. I had the kids over for a bbq and they said, hey play some JoeB. Just so happened I had a dvd from a Bonabuddy they hadn't seen. Joe live at Colorado Springs, March 31, 2003. What a ripper! Cradle Rock, Walk In My Shadow, A New Day Yesterday, Blues Deluxe, Mountain Time, Taking the Hit on a tele, P/S in all its glory and a lot more. cool The kids were stoked!
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

idolbone wrote:

Indeed it is a classic,but i also love the way Kenny's drums pound along throughout,subtle in places but ,for the most part,stamp on this track! Any drummers out there to comment on that?

well i am not a drummer but since none have replied yet about this, i will say that definitely Kenny and Eric both are alot of how i came to love the song. i exp;lain a little in post 17 of this thread which was copied from the old forum. as i also mention there i believe the song has kind of always been part of Joe. that is how i also came to be able to finally actually desire it with a different band than K&E who played it on all the times i witnessed it. But yeah since Rick mentioned one of the 03 shows, i think this is it or the day before or day after i forget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaWLhB98BeU  that is part 1 of 7 from before you could upload any thing of length on youtube. maybe someone will post another night other than what has been posted (thnx again Bob). i think most other than studio went longer than 15 but 2 parts better than seven parts

still not quite over the fact that it wasn't part of the gig that was filmed for rockpalast befcause it was usually in the set then. I understand circumstances dictated that . i still hold out hope that one of these audience recordings will make a future dvd as an extra. i am super thankful for Joe's policy which allows us to share these things though.

but yeah even on the studio track that drumming and the bass takes me through the whole song its almost a seprate song in a way,but yeah Sundays improved by pain and sorrow don't beat mondays improved by the tune of it.

my avatar right now is part of where Joe signed my tab book.

still finding other ways smile

103 (edited by Jane H. 2012-04-12 21:32:42)

just wanted to say sorry for my word choice here. i don't always realize how it comes across.

i was just joking around i sure don't want to control anyone's way of appreciating Pain and Sorrow
smile

Jane H. wrote:
XLK9 wrote:

How about an acoustic rework of P&S?.....
The original by Jake Holmes was I believe.

The point I failed to make is that P&S holds up as an actual song and not just a masterful guitar workout.

Dude........ I gotta weak heart. wtf r u speaking of?!?!

104 (edited by Jane H. 2012-10-03 16:21:30)

got to thinking about the song and seriously appreciating it alot this past week after Joe mentioned them reworking it and possibly adding it back to the live set.
first of all, IMO what an excellent choice that would be. i already said i am not going to say what i think would be great suggestions and not trying to put any preconceived expectations on it. i will make one exception though and that is if anyone outside the band is to assist in the rework i do hope a visit of past recordings would be prerequisite just so the realy glory of some of what made it great in the past is part of the context. i think that would be righful justice to the song.

the other thing i want to try to explain is strictly of my opinion. one as a fan and lover of the song as Joe plays it but also now as a player. now i am still a very beginner player but that bit of expereince has helped me see how to me this is one of those songs that truly sets Joe apart from other players. not entirely in every aspect. i am no guitar playing expert by any means and hope this doesn't turn into a who is the worlds greatest guitarist thread or anything.
i have just not heard anything like it although i fully admit my low level of knowledge of many other works.

to me though its a song that seperates the men from the boys so to speak, as i feel about Woke Up Dreaming. not that there aren't other most excellent players, songs and performances out there but if you compare it to a cover song or compilations mix thing or whatever we call the Just got paid dazed deal it is on a whole other higher level, IMHO.

this being original and with a pleasing flow of guitar thrills, just don't come by it those thingns that often

i dunno if that makes snese but part of me saying it is trying to say how even though its heavy etc and not everyone's cup of tea, i know some aren't into how rockin JGP is eiether so you can't please all but i think it would be a great addition to the set for alot of reasons other than the fact that i love it so much.

there are some folks that still don't believe the studio version was done 'live' and without - i don't know the correct terms here - but ;effects? other than pedals and Bonamagic etc.

show what you can do that no one else can Joe (not saying others aren't great but they have not come up with this gem like you did!!!)

Joe if you play Pain & Sorrow in Rochester I will personally get down and lick your Tony Lama boots in eternal gratitude.
Just sayin' man. wink

Major Tom to ground control...

RICjunkie wrote:

Joe if you play Pain & Sorrow in Rochester I will personally get down and lick your Tony Lama boots in eternal gratitude.
Just sayin' man. wink

big_smile LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

107 (edited by wvgirlinky 2012-10-04 10:14:47)

RickB wrote:

Funny how things work. I had the kids over for a bbq and they said, hey play some JoeB. Just so happened I had a dvd from a Bonabuddy they hadn't seen. Joe live at Colorado Springs, March 31, 2003. What a ripper! Cradle Rock, Walk In My Shadow, A New Day Yesterday, Blues Deluxe, Mountain Time, Taking the Hit on a tele, P/S in all its glory and a lot more. cool The kids were stoked!
Rick

That sounds like a great one to watch and  listen too.  Isn't it fund to jam with the kids.

RICjunkie wrote:

Just sayin' man. wink

Now that's Pain and Sorrow appreciation if I've ever heard it! I too ROTHL

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky