Topic: The Pain and Sorrow appreciation thread

I know its Jane’s favorite JB song and one of mine too.  But some of the newer people here might now know about it.  I’ve seen lots of SILT threads asking about the album.  It certainly has had its time in the setlist and it ranges from 9 minutes to 22 minutes and I understand why its not in there now.  But what a song!

Re: The Pain and Sorrow appreciation thread

I am with ya.  That songs makes the entire SILT album for me..

No matter how well you know someone, you can only ever guess.  How can you ever really know somebody else? It takes more than a lifetime just to get to know yourself.  Nobody knows the meaning of loneliness.  - Van Morrison

It's a classic like "Voodoo Child."

Ballgame wrote:

I understand why its not in there now.  But what a song!

Maybe I missed something here.  Why isn't it in the setlist anymore?  Joe just want to mix it up some or is there another reason?

Rock 'N' Roll,
-Ben

I have heard a few people say it is like Joe's Third Stone from the Sun

also a Bonabuddy of mine in Florida (very excited about the Tampa show) once saw Joe play by himself outside during the Bloodline era at a park down there. Just jammed for a long while guitar and amp and it was very Pain and Sorrow-esque. I don't tell the story as he does or remember the details but its from this and things I learned while experimenting for the weekend project that I feel this song, at least major sections and themes of, was in and/or a part of Joe for a long time, perhaps his whole life.

Mondays are better to the tune of Pain and Sorrow!

pull it out joe...............
it's my favorite too..

I luv it!

Sending in my cards and letters for this song. It was GREAT to hear live when it was in the set!

for those who haven't had the pleasure.....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q … and+sorrow

make sure you do it in order 1 thru 7

All right! Thanks, Jane.

One of my favorite memories of "Pain and Sorrow" came at the end of this years Bayfront Blues Festival in Duluth, MN. Kenny Wayne Shepherd was the headliner on the final night and had just concluded a pretty good set that included "Voodoo Child" as the encore. Right after the M.C had thanked everybody for attending this years festival the P.A. system was cranking out "Pain and Sorrow". Me and my gal looked at each other wondering and hoping that maybe next year......

Thanks Jane for the great link.  "Classic Joe" at his best!  Talk about long solos, this is it!  Some nice close ups too.  Wonder which show/venue this was back in 03?

Music is good for the Soul...

Thanks for the link! I've never seen a video or a live performance for that matter of this song before so thank you thank you thankyou!

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

David A. wrote:

Thanks Jane for the great link.  "Classic Joe" at his best!  Talk about long solos, this is it!  Some nice close ups too.  Wonder which show/venue this was back in 03?

It was shot at a place called 32 Bleu in Colorado Springs, CO on March 31, 2003.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that Jane!

P&S has always been my favorite Joe tune. I listen to it often. I completely understand and respect why he dropped it. But there are few songs in his catalog that showcase his improvisational firepower as well as that one. I miss it.

I do have many recordings, and now some video (thanks again Jane).
I hope someday he pulls it out and takes it for a drive. And I hope I'm there when he does.

db

hey there is no way I will let this thread get sent to Old Topics so I thought I would copy here what many of you have already read before buts its part of why I love the song

from the old forum:
Author: Jane H.
Date:   4/19/2005 9:39 am EDT 

This is hard to put into words but do know I am completely serious.
I have been tripping out on the song Pain and Sorrow more than ever lately. One reason is because I have come to the conclusion it is my favorite song (with Mountain Time #2). I have never been able to pick a favorite song before. I admit I was initially drawn to the song because it was heavy (when I say heavy I don't always mean metal) and the guitar wizadry is extreme in all its versions. Recently though I have discovered another gift this song has been giving me. Often I play Pain and Sorrow when I am blue or sad. I always thought it was the music alone which helped me heal but I now conclude it is helping me find other ways. Its such a happy song for me now. When I listen to Pain and Sorrow, I go into trance during the solo. It is during the solo that I receive messages that enable me to find other ways (to deal). It isn't always a conscious occurance but sometimes I do get the big Eureka, sometimes days after, sometimes no big Eureka. Sometimes the Pain and the Sorrow I find ways to deal with are great pain and great sorrow, sometimes slight. Sometimes its Pain and Sorrow deeply connected to my being, sometimes very remote. Sometimes the pain and sorrow are from the past, sometimes future fears, sometimes the here and now. Sometimes its just discovering what actually caused the pain, the sorrow. The pain and sorrow don't always go away but I don't live off of them as much. Sometimes the guitar is speaking, I sense flurries of messages with deep responses, I sense the debate, the reasoning, the testimonies (of/from what I have no idea). Its like the intro orients the brain to the direction it needs to head, sometimes the start of the solo shreds thru the vinous weeds of past ways, neural pathways clouding the exterior of the mind, sometimes the message starts there, its always different. Whether I realize the gained knowledge during the song or not, by the end I feel transfused. The most obvious gain is the peace of mind I have acheived. Its blowing my mind. Not complete enlightenment (yet) but more and more each day. I have somehow been increasingly more able to deal, which is leading me toward solutions rather than despair. I feel physically better as a result. My mind is freer to see other ways for those around me as well which generates so much positive energy and feeds this peace of mind. I then am blowing my own mind into a wide open state! I couldn't say exactly when or how I came to realize the song Pain and Sorrow's role but its definitely significant. I have seen Joe "deal" in inspiring ways when he's having a bad day. I don't know how intense or conscious it is for him. I wonder if he is sharing this message knowingly, is he channeling some spiritual message, am I the only (other?) one tuning into it this way? Sure I realize I may be considered "certified" but I am becoming a wiser happier person more able to contribute on Earth at this time, because I am finding other ways. One revelation of great help has been realizing that no matter how well you may know someone, you can never get in their head, ever. Every little experience can not be replicated/felt/understood. words can/do have multiple meanings.
I realize that I won't always get to hear this favorite song of mine at future shows but I want to let Joe (and Kenny and Eric, and the guitars, the other instruments, the equipment, and those who care for them) I LOVE YOU FOR THIS SONG (and Joe also for playing right in front of me at the last show(and for those few notes of Blues for Bozo (I think???!!!) in the acoustic jam of)), among other songs and things.
Please never doubt I would like/need to experience this song live another time or another way. I hope and expect it to be included on the next DVD, but if its not, I'll deal. Maybe its meant to be another way, maybe not. **I never used to (be able to) think things through this way.** Of course Kenny and Eric help induce the trance and have always been integral parts of this song for me, although I feel the power of this song has always been with Joe from his beginning. I feel Pain and Sorrow would be great to showcase drum and bass solos in the DVD, and could possibly add enough heaviness to take this thing to new depths. I await the continued messages in this song, please don't disrupt me during the solo! Strange but truth. Thanks!!!!!
Peace
Jane

Jane,
I'll never forget how this one deejay used to end his show. He would say, "Music is your best friend. It will never let you down." I could never understand people who don't like to listen to music. I can't live without it.