Re: Joe using products again that rhyme with "Bender"??

HELLO everybody..
          I used a lot of vintage Fender amps on the Ballad of John Henry.. They sounded great as did the Marshalls and new stuff I use.. I take issue with Fender circa 2009 because of what they did.. A lot of their stuff sounds harsh to me now.. I do like the Hot Rod 2 x 12 deville..  Its a good amp.. I like some of the master built stuff.. Hate the gold sparkle strat they make for obvious reasons.. Fender doesnt make bad stuff.. I just prefer Gibson now.. Its warmer , its made better in my humble opinion.  Again.. there will be too many people that disagree..  but my reputation is to tell it like I see it..
Fender's golden age is long past.. Gibson's stuff is as good now I think.. I own late 50's gibson stuff.. The historic series is very very close..  I also own 50's and 60's Fender guitars.. and the relic stuff not as close.. Again its just my opinion.. nothing more nothing less..  My issues with Fender are over really.. I am just playing what I want to play now..
Joe B.

but my reputation is to tell it like I see it.

Absolutely, and this is what a forum should be like. To accept another opinions as they are.
I see no point in turning the whole thing into a battle because I dont share the same opinion
like in the other Fender Thread. I personally like the Fender stuff though I don't own a Fender.
I really like the amps. But my strat is from Thorndal. Superb, never had a newer Fender which was like this.
As to the gold sparkle strat, be sure no real JB fan would ever buy it for the same reasons..

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Im thinking Gibson are starting to slip a little too
I think this could be a repeat of the 70s for Gibson. Theres a lot of bad things at the moment with their guitars. PCBs in the standards, the chambering I think is cause they don't have good wood any more (I may be wrong but it makes sense), 3 piece backs now.
Ive seen a couple of the guitars come apart where the wood is joined on the back.
Their pots are disgraceful. Ive got a 2005 LP classic, only thing electronic wise that is stock is the switch and caps.

For £1700 I'd want something that doesn't have all these flaws.

AD3THREE wrote:

I've seen that guitar but I was not aware that Joe Bonamassa was the only strat player to ever pickup  a sparkle top Stratocaster.  Didn't Dick Dale have one that was a signature model?

That's the whole point, Dale's was a "Signature" model.

I think dollar for dollar, you get much more guitar for your money from Fender or even PRS for that matter.  I have played plenty of American Standard Strats/Teles and been completely satisfied with them.  The PRS SE guitars are very good as well.   I think if you were to walk in to a Guitar Center with $2200 the very best guitar you would walk out with would more than likely not be a Les Paul.  HOWEVER, if you decide to drop the money for a custom shop guitar you are IMO purchasing one of the finest guitars on this planet.  The Gibson Custom Shop makes the finest guitars money can buy.  The production line ones are good, some even fantastic in their own right but not as consistant as a Fender or PRS.  Between me and my father's collection of high end guitars, the ones getting the most play are a Gibson R8 and PRS McCarty and we both own VERY nice Fender guitars as well.  I think anyone who owns an American guitar from any of the "big 3" should be proud of the guitar and their purchase because they all make GREAT guitars.  We should all be thankful that we are blessed enough to respectfully argue on which is better! smile

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I ordered a Fender acoustic, and they glued a rosewood fretboard to the neck that wasn't flat. I'm currently seeking warranty replacement. Either way, I'll probably get rid of anything I end up with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24077525@N06/3336070093/

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool