Re: New Tube amp for blues/classic rock under $1,000

LesPaul4 wrote:
Pieter-Jan wrote:

What about a Marshall Vintage Modern? I've got one, really like the low dynamic range! Modern version of a plexi..
Add a tubescreamer..classic blues-rock tone!

How is the Vintage Modern's clean sound...headroom?

I demoed it and only liked the clean channel, but I overdrove it with volume up and gain in the middle.  Its a good amp, but seriously lacks the mids.  It rolled off well, but whenyou drive and amp on the clean channel, getting those clean tones rolling off is simple.  I'd def. use it to pair with something or get something for a mid boost.

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:
LesPaul4 wrote:
Pieter-Jan wrote:

What about a Marshall Vintage Modern? I've got one, really like the low dynamic range! Modern version of a plexi..
Add a tubescreamer..classic blues-rock tone!

How is the Vintage Modern's clean sound...headroom?

I demoed it and only liked the clean channel, but I overdrove it with volume up and gain in the middle.  Its a good amp, but seriously lacks the mids.  It rolled off well, but whenyou drive and amp on the clean channel, getting those clean tones rolling off is simple.  I'd def. use it to pair with something or get something for a mid boost.

Isn't there a mid boost button?
I've been thinking of getting a VM. Got a DSL50, like the tone but don't love it. I've heard some good things about the VM but I'm still not completely keen on losing the DSL to fund it.

I started using the mid-boost, but without a lot of mids in the EQ-section..sounds fine for me!
The tone of the tubescreamer is also set really low..I think it's a great amp!

Does anyone have any experience with the Peavey Delta Blues 115?  what do/did you think of it?  I can get my hands on one for under $450...store near me has 2 of them...

Let me know what you think....

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Hey Lespaul I have a Delta 115 and what a great amp . I think for that price grab it and it is plenty loud . It  has great blues to rock sounds and because its a 15" speaker you can also use it with an acoustic . I also have a Bogner Alchemist head and cabinet and it just sits there collecting dust because the 115 just gives me the sound I want without a bunch of tweaking , I've got to put that on e-bay  roll  good luck , Paulie

Check out the Mack Heatseekers.  They have 18 and 36 watt EL84 based amps.  I've never actually played one, but am hopefully looking to get one later this year.  I think current pricing has the 36 watt model at $999 which fits your criteria.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Any thought on the Orange Dual Terror? Not alot of bells and whistles but sometimes that a good thing. I know its just a head but still.....any thoughts?

Both of my #1 amps (I guess it would have to be #1 and #2 but I love them both so much  tongue  ) are under a grand.  My Metro Superlead kit was right at $1000 and I swung my '68 Super Reverb for $800.  For less than $2k I could not dream of a more awesome sounding rig.  If I had to do it all over I would've just bought these two and called it a day.  My amp GAS is currently CURED which is something I haven't experienced since I picked up playing guitar.  Now mabye a few thousand dollars later I'll be cured of the pedal GAS  roll

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

For a grand, I'd also check out the Egnater Rebel 30 head with matching cab.  Great sounding amps that have some unique features like a 6V6/EL84 blend, usable reverb (digital but sounds great), built in attenuater from 1-30watts, two channels.  A lot of amp for the money and plenty loud.  Boutique feel with a Fender pricetag.

These amps are imports (designed by Bruce Egnater in Cali) though and QC is sometimes an issue.  YMMV.

LesPaul4 wrote:

I love to hear what you guys think about this subject.

I am trying to decide which amp to buy.  I need something that can be used on stage (so atleast 40 watts i'm guessing).

Fender makes a few in that range....

One choice of mine is the Fender Super Sonic and another is the Traynor YCS50.  I kind of like the features of the Traynor.
So please throw out some suggewstions and feed back on the Traynor and the Super Sonic!!!

Thanks,
Barry

Fender strat '62 custom shop relic/AgostinCustom CL-111-KR/
'69 Marshall 50watt Jmp 1987 smallbox/Marshall 6100.
king of tone OD/BossDS1/line6 dl4/Foxrox Aquavibe/chicago iron octavia/70's Vox Wah/Boss rt20/holy grail reverb/Mogami

For that dollar range I'd sincerely go with a nice vintage'65/'66 fender blackface bassman AB165 circuit.As for Traynor and the Super Sonic,...couldn't tell ya,i've never played 'em.

G.R.72 wrote:
LesPaul4 wrote:

I am trying to decide which amp to buy.  I need something that can be used on stage (so atleast 40 watts i'm guessing).

One choice of mine is the Fender Super Sonic and another is the Traynor YCS50.  I kind of like the features of the Traynor.
So please throw out some suggewstions and feed back on the Traynor and the Super Sonic!!!

Thanks,
Barry

king of tone OD/BossDS1/line6 dl4/Foxrox Aquavibe/chicago iron octavia/70's Vox Wah/Boss rt20/holy grail reverb/Mogami

I'm Sorry,
you're a les paul kind of guy,it wouldn't be a good match with the bassman.
Check out a Madcat amps (MK50),you could probably find one used for $1000.

G.R.72 wrote:

For that dollar range I'd sincerely go with a nice vintage'65/'66 fender blackface bassman AB165 circuit.As for Traynor and the Super Sonic,...couldn't tell ya,i've never played 'em.

G.R.72 wrote:
LesPaul4 wrote:

Thanks,
Barry

31 (edited by Jimi75 2010-04-20 06:10:50)

Option1:
Go check a Marshall JTM45, maybe used one to stay under 1KUSD.
Put your favourite pedals in front of it and start loving this tone monster immediately. None of these newer Marshalls can keep up with the JTM45.

Option2:
Peavey Delta. I dig that amp totally!

Fender Super Reverb a couple of pedals up front and call it a day or a Ceriatone.