Topic: BB King "One Kind Favor"

Hey all,
      I am listening to B's new album.. I know some people said its sounded like he was tired, but I honestly got to say that its one of the most tremendous albums he has ever made.. Its so honest and like a rocking chair, reliable and comforting.
If you guys dont have it.. get it on CD or Itunes. Its fantastic..
Joe B

Re: BB King "One Kind Favor"

Thanks Joe,

Will buy it because I think you know something about the blues!!!!

Andre Wittebroek

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey all,
      I am listening to B's new album.. I know some people said its sounded like he was tired, but I honestly got to say that its one of the most tremendous albums he has ever made.. Its so honest and like a rocking chair, reliable and comforting.
If you guys dont have it.. get it on CD or Itunes. Its fantastic..
Joe B

I wholeheartedly agree. This is the best album he's made in a long time. I listen to it constantly. I think it's amazing that last year BB and Buddy Guy both released tremendous works in what is supposed to be the twilight of their careers.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

I bought it when it first came out. It is very good, and like Joe said, very honest. BB is not afraid to say what he feels.

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

5 (edited by cathysiler 2009-02-01 15:28:36)

Just watched last night's Soundstage on P.B.S. and it's B.B.!!! It's dated 2009 and if he's tired then I'm comatose!! He is the whole package. And, he could retire if he wanted to, so many thanks to the Universe that he wants to continue to share his gifts with us.    Cathy

6 (edited by JBSRV 2009-02-01 13:55:57)

I still have to look at this CD. I have been wanting to for a while now. I guess this pushes me to actually doing it!

I saw B.B this April and he was amazing. Full of energy and fire. Actually it was the same place that I'm seeing Mr. JB this March.

BTW, Buddy Guy is still full of energy too. Both were great shows.

-Eric

"It makes it sound like the amp is about ready to explode, that's because it IS about ready to explode." -Joe

"I've come all the way from Colorado... Long way from my home. Give me the hammer that killed John Henry..." The Ballad Of John Henry

I agree. This is one of B.B.'s best albums in a number of years.

Good album with a down-to-earth BB King and a brilliant band around him, in special Dr. John´s piano.
Günter

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Joe,
The two of you almost sound alike.

cathysiler wrote:

Just watched last night's Soundstage on P.B.S. and it's B.B.!!! It's dated 2009 and if he's tired then I'm comatose!! He is the whole package. And, he could retire if he wanted to, so many thanks to the Universe that he wants to continue to share his gifts with us.    Cathy

I watched it for a good twenty minutes, bb played on his guitar for honestly under minute throughout.  This is no reflection of bb king or the new album, just an observation of what i saw.  Will check out the album.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

I think the album is the best B.B.'s put out in years. The production by T Bone Burnette gives it a raw, earthy quality which makes the songs come more alive, than if they were awash in strings. I'd say it was the best traditional blues album to come out last year, and is highly recommended.

http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspo … 10_25.html

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

12 (edited by Juice night 2023-09-30 11:57:28)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Its fantastic..

Yes!
I looked at Wikipedia about B.B. King.

It turns out he was against smoking.

I wonder if he returned his guitar to Lucille during his lifetime (they say he announced a $900 thousand reward to get it back)

If he didn’t return it, then who owns it now?

Isn't that why Joe collects guitars, maybe he'll find from maple original Lucille?)

Juice night wrote:

Yes!
I looked at Wikipedia about B.B. King.

It turns out he was against smoking.

I wonder if he returned his guitar to Lucille during his lifetime (they say he announced a $900 thousand reward to get it back)

If he didn’t return it, then who owns it now?

Isn't that why Joe collects guitars, maybe he'll find from maple original Lucille?)

The black Gibson ES-345 prototype was presented to King in 2005 by manufacturers Gibson on his 80th birthday, and was the first in a limited edition of 80.

He used it as his primary guitar until it was stolen in 2009 and traded in at a Las Vegas pawn shop. A guitar collector bought it, and after investigating its provenance, returned it to King later that year.

One of a number of lots from King’s estate in the wake of his death in 2015, the ES-345 prototype nearly tripled its estimated price of $100,000, and other items broke their estimates

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

14 (edited by Juice night 2023-10-05 20:02:02)

I registered here birthday B.B. King, it turns out.

BansheeUK wrote:

A guitar collector bought it, and after investigating its provenance, returned it to King later that year.

Wikipedia:  « Then, in a newspaper ad, BB announced a $20,000 reward for the return of his beloved guitar. Until the end of his life, the musician was ready to give $900,000 to get it back [source not specified»;

which means they’re lying or such "PR stunt".

Juice night wrote:

Wikipedia:  « Then, in a newspaper ad, BB announced a $20,000 reward for the return of his beloved guitar. Until the end of his life, the musician was ready to give $900,000 to get it back [source not specified»;

which means they’re lying or such "PR stunt".

Trouble with the Internet is that there are too many sources, many unverified. I can believe that BB King offered $20, 000 for the return of "Lucille".
However, the guitar was returned in 2009 and was sold at auction after his death in 2015 for $280,000, as checked with auction house. It may well be worth several times more now.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

16 (edited by Juice night 2023-10-01 10:27:38)

BansheeUK wrote:

I can believe that BB King offered $20, 000 for the return of "Lucille".
However, the guitar was returned in 2009 and was sold at auction after his death in 2015 for $280,000, as checked with auction house.

It’s clear.

Who has the original Lucille guitar?

I saw a B.B. King guitar at Joe's, but I'm not sure it's an original, because I haven't seen the original.

I’m asking out of curiosity, “touches to the portrait of Joe”)

I saw Joe signing Lucille's new ~"BB King" guitars. Is this a will or did you establish a tradition yourself?

17 (edited by Curby 2023-10-01 19:36:05)

Juice night wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

I can believe that BB King offered $20, 000 for the return of "Lucille".
However, the guitar was returned in 2009 and was sold at auction after his death in 2015 for $280,000, as checked with auction house.

It’s clear.

Who has the original Lucille guitar?

I saw a B.B. King guitar at Joe's, but I'm not sure it's an original, because I haven't seen the original.

I’m asking out of curiosity, “touches to the portrait of Joe”)

I saw Joe signing Lucille's new ~"BB King" guitars. Is this a will or did you establish a tradition yourself?

I'm sure there are a number of Gibson 335s that were played by BB King.  That guitar was famous before BB came along, but his relationship playing it elevated its sales I'm sure.  Didn't hurt that Gibson's factory was located near Beale Street in Memphis.
I saw him play twice at his club on Beale St.  Shook his hand both times.  The man was a certified legend who gave his support to young and unknown musicians like Joe Bonamassa and my friend Boscoe France.

Curby wrote:

I'm sure there are a number of Gibson 335s that were played by BB King

In one of the interviews, Joe holds a Gibson Guitar in his hands and says that if he were on a desert island, he would take a Gibson and a Fender amplifier with him;
Because the guitar sounds like B.B.King…