Topic: Florida dates...PLEASE!!!

Well, as I sit here getting ready to head out for the 3-day Tampa Bay BluesFest, I can't help but wonder why Joe has played very few dates in the Sunshine State?
There are plenty of blues events, especially in the Tampa Bay area. Just take a look at the lineup for this weekend at Vinoy Waterfront Park in St. Petersburg:

TODAY:
12:30 pm - Ana Popovic
2:30 pm - Curtis Salgado
4:30 pm - Siegel Schwall Band
6:30 pm - John Lee Hooker,Jr.
8:30 pm - Johnny Winter

SATURDAY
11 am - Wendy Rich & The Soul Shakers
12:30 pm - Omar & The Howlers
2:30 pm - Indigenous featuring Mato Nanji
4:30 pm - Mavis Staples
6:30 pm - Robben Ford
8:30 pm - Jonny Lang

SUNDAY
1 pm - Blues Train
2:30 pm - Duwayne Burnside
4:30 pm - The Tommy Castro Band
6:30 pm - Rod Plazza & The Mighty Flyers
8:30 pm - Taj Mahal

Granted, this is a sweet lineup for this year's event - plus $50 for ALL THREE DAYS is a steal! - and I'll return home toasted AND sunburned! ;-)
However Joe would STUN the crowd at the TB BluesFest! It's a fabulous outdoor setting, right on Tampa Bay, and has been a staple of the local live music scene for MANY years.

PLEASE...........someone...........see if you can't get Mr. B booked SOMEWHERE in the Tampa Bay area.

Here's the official TB BluesFest site for more info:

www.tampabaybluesfest.com

Re: Florida dates...PLEASE!!!

Sounds like a great lineup Dave, esp. with Mato playing.  That would be a good venue for Joe.  He did play in Jacksonville last month at a Blues festival.  Hope he does get your way again soon...

Music is good for the Soul...

I'm not sure what the problem is with getting Joe booked at the Tampa Bay Blues Fest. It's as big as they come from what I understand. According to management they've made several attempts over the years to get Joe there, and for whatever the reason they just can't seem to get the deed done. Anyway you're not alone in your desires to get Joe to Tampa Bay!

The Tampa Bay fest is one of the best anywhere.  The crew really take care of you there and the music and setting is super. It would be a great opportunity for Joe and band to play that one. Hope his Mgmt keep trying !!! have fun at this year's fest dave, it does sound like quite a line-up !!!!!  LG

Larry, tell ya what, let's push to get him booked for next year and then we can run off to Florida for the festival and live in a beach shack after that.

A girl can dream, can't she?

The blues isn't about a look or a specific sound, the blues is something deep within. But the sound doesn't hurt things, you know? ~ Ben Hernandez

Yeah, the TBBF is about as big as they come, especially for a 3-day event. I was "toasted & roasted" after last weekend. Always a huge success and tons of fun. Can't beat a weekend of the blues, Florida seafood and sunshine!

There is also another long-running blues fest on Florida's Suncoast, the Sarasota Blues Fest, that is booked every October for the past 12 years and has hosted it's share of national acts. This year's headliner is Gregg Allman & Friends w/ Robben Ford.

Maybe Joe can SQUEEZE into the lineup??  (hint, hint!)

http://www.sarasotabluesfest.com/

YOU MISSED HIM IN J-VILL,EVEN GOT THE NEW C.D. BEFORE HE LEFT FOR GERMANY

GIDDYUP wrote:

YOU MISSED HIM IN J-VILL,EVEN GOT THE NEW C.D. BEFORE HE LEFT FOR GERMANY

I knew he was appearing in Jacksonville, and it's "only" a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive from the southern Tampa Bay area, where I live. But with gas at nearly $3.00/gallon and me spending WAY too much on fuel to get to and from work, I couldn't justify the extra $$ to "The Boss"! However the Tampa Bay Blues Fest, along with the Sarasota Blues Fest, are two great, well-known, LONG-RUNNING festivals that would benefit greatly if Joe was on the bill! Of course I realize that Joe can't be EVERYWHERE! :-)  However, I'll continue to hold out hope that he will eventually appear at a closer venue/festival in the not-too-distant future.

By the way, I also have the new disc - have had it ever since it's European release (my buddy stationed in Germany sent it to me the same week it hit the streets).

Thanks, Jane.

Yeah......been there, done that! ;-)

I've contacted the venues/promoters for both events a couple of times a year for the past 3 years or so. I always get the same "We'll see what we can do" type pf answer, however I keep trying! One of these days the promoters will tire of my inquiries and hopefully cave in to my request(s) - if for no other reason than to shut me up!
As long as it enables Joe to play at one of these shows - I'll be happy!!

Florida Dave,
I've always wondered what the real reason is Joe isn't playing a certain place. I've been trying to get him at the Bluesfest here for years with no luck as well. I've heard comments like, "He's not a Blues musician; he's a Rock star." And then just the opposite from another person. I had one Rock radio station tell me when I asked them if they'd like a copy of his CD, "We don't play Blues musicians."

David and Fla Dave,  I am not sure why he doesn't tour the Southeast very much. He is going to be in Atlanta in June but that is about it.  A couple of years ago he played in NC and SC, got some support but not enough.  Maybe that has something to do with it, but I don't know.  Hopefully some dates will fill in for Fla and the Carolinas.

Music is good for the Soul...

Festivals are nice but I'd really love to see some club dates in Florida. I didn't drive to Jacksonville when he was there cause I figured it would be too much to deal with (driving, parking, baby-sitter) to see Joe play for an hour or less where all the space close to the stage was reserved to the VIPs. To me, just like beer is better served cold, Joe's music is better played in a club.

Maybe the street team members from Florida could all get together to organize a few dates in the main cities. I know if I call places around here just to tell them "hey you guys should book Joe Bonamassa", my request is gonna be ignored, but if I'm backed-up by a group of motivated volunteers we could get him to play the nicest venues.