Re: Joe's recent "Strat Guy" departure!

Jane H. wrote:

Joe mentioned the topic here when he played the Gold Strat Saturday.
Here is a couple of pics from 11-4
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o81/janehall_bucket/

what'd he say?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I've always been a Gibson guy. 

The strats feel different. Sportier, but less luxorious. Playing the strat for me like like driving a Mustang when I'm used to a super-charged Cadillac.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

I've always been a Gibson guy. 

The strats feel different. Sportier, but less luxorious. Playing the strat for me like like driving a Mustang when I'm used to a super-charged Cadillac.

I agree, but I like strats better because they're more versatile and they feel like (and they actually can) they can take a beating much better than a paul... I don't feel like I'm doing something wrong when I beat up a strat- which I really like- I'm pretty ruthless when it comes to playing guitars smile

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

ha ha!

I totally agree.  I pound on my strat, but I take good care of my gibson babies.

I've invaded this forum section... smile don't know any of the "techno stuff" but just wanted to let Jane know I enjoyed her pictures, even the blurry one....lots of action & energy..thanks for sharing

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Try a 600 series Variax. they're much better....but ya can't beat the real thing.

CodeTitan wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Anybody ever play one of those LINE6 variax guitars???
I did, it felt like I was playing a $100 Fernandes guitar.  It did sound decent I guess. It just felt terrible.

I have to agree with you on this one.  The Variax feels about the same quality as an entry level Squire Strat.  I owned a Variax 500 for about two weeks.  It did sound great in general, although it was a little bit sterile sounding, but I couldn't get over the cheap feel of the guitar.  It's just really hard to feel the music no matter how good it sounds if you are playing a guitar that feels like it's cheap quality.  The fretwork felt really rough.  Their higher end guitar is much better, but the wood grain on it looks horrible.  It also looks a little strange to see an electric guitar without pickups in it.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

CodeTitan wrote:

Stratocasters, Telecasters, and Les Pauls are all great guitars and sound totally different from each other.  In my opinion one isn't better than the other.  I have played plenty of crappy LP's at guitar center that felt like toys.  When I finally plunk down the cash to buy an LP, I think I'm going to have to go the custom shop route...

You are right, the Custom Shop Les Pauls are night and day better in my opinion (there are always some exceptions of course).
The Historic line of Les Pauls R8,R9, 1958 reissue (etc) are real nice.  They are like a production run by the Custom Shop.
The best buy around a while back was the 1957 Gold Top reissue (also known as a R7).  They used to run only a couple/few hundred
more that a USA Standard.  Used ones are probably a better deal.
I am the proud owner of a 2001 R8.  I chose it after trying everything from USA Standards, Classics (etc).  I NEVER found a good playing Les paul of any kind at Guitar Center though.  You owe it to yourself to find a reputable dealer nearby (if possible).   Just my 2-cents.

Russ B.

It might be a cardinal sin, but since I had two Gibsons - instead of getting a third I may try my hand at a Paul Reed Smith. In the early 90's I bought my '73 LP Custom Black Beauty becuse some guy traded it in for a PRS.

I attend 12th fret meetings for Strat addiction! Hit me Joe!