19 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2009-01-06 17:03:19)

Re: Tailpiece down and topwrap or traditional way?

Pigtail makes a wireless lightweight ABR-1 that I've heard good things about and will buy when I get the money...it's supposedly an almost exact replica of the originals.

Here's a picture:
http://www.pigtailmusic.com/pigtailImag … lAPR_1.jpg

Here's the site:
http://www.pigtailmusic.com/Products.php

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

A bit pricey dontcha think? $200, I'm sure the specs are tight and I'm sure that the alloy is better then what they use today on most ABR-1's, But I look at that as a great start for some Lindy Franklins or something.  You'll have to let us know what you think of them after you get them.  I'll stick with my glued in place ABR-1 for now.  I might not be able to change my intonation but I can keep my wallet padded a little longer at least.

Musicinmysoul wrote:

Pigtail makes a wireless lightweight ABR-1 that I've heard good things about and will buy when I get the money...it's supposedly an almost exact replica of the originals.

Here's a picture:
http://www.pigtailmusic.com/pigtailImag … lAPR_1.jpg

Here's the site:
http://www.pigtailmusic.com/Products.php

That's a good point, that's why I probably won't be going after it for awhile. Especially considering there can be a pretty substantial wait after ordering the tailpiece, depending on if Steve has made any recently. He's almost a 1 man operation over there.

AND considering I would have to have a tech pull the plugs going into my Paul's body for the Nashville (I drilled out an ABR-1 so it would fit on the Nashville bridges), fill the hole with maple dowels, and route the dowels for an ABR-1, it's going to be awhile before I go after this mod.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

i've tried the wraparound and i must say, more sustain and better bending (less tension because of the angle).

The only thing is it looks wierd and my high e over the tailpiece has a sharp piece on the ballend.

Would like to set up a tonepros tailpiece and bridge because it's so more easy to replace strings without falling of adn having the same height everytime.

Thanks for the info...

So i go for the tp6 bridge and a T1ZS tailpiece?

Rafke, I know this problem with the sharp edge where the bottom e string
wraps around the tailpiece. At least the Ernie Balls have this problem.
I use a small hammer (ball peen hammer big_smile) to make this sharp corner round.
But very careful to avoid damages on the tailpiece.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

24 (edited by JohnTB 2009-01-08 05:41:06)

Stratovari wrote:

Rafke, I know this problem with the sharp edge where the bottom e string
wraps around the tailpiece. At least the Ernie Balls have this problem.
I use a small hammer (ball peen hammer big_smile) to make this sharp corner round.
But very careful to avoid damages on the tailpiece.

Alex

I use clippers to trim it off, I use dean markleys btw, be nice to have some sort of material wrap like on bass strings, cut my arm a few times because of it sad

What I have noticed is my bridge pegs are pulling quite a bit from top wrapping looks like eventually they will come loose, but it is a epiphone so I guess its just because the cap is small..

25 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2010-03-24 20:49:24)

I had a guitar tech at the detroit guitar center totally RIP on me for bringing in an Epi Les Paul with top wrapped strings.
His buddy that was there as well told me "I need to go back to rock school." The tech said I had the 'wrong string angle' on the tailpiece because I top wrapped it. And that 'ease of bending strings' is only due to three factors: string gauge, string tension, and scale length.

They totally have me the third degree about it, and made it sound completely absurd that I was doing it at all. I didn't know if I should have stood my ground, but I said... "whatever man - do whatever you think will make it sound best." I won't be bringing any of my guitars back there. And I'll probably be buying everything else from elsewhere.

I guess Zakk Wylde, Billy Gibbons, and Jimmy Page... and even Joe need to "go back to Rock School too?"  hmm

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

26 (edited by Danny! 2010-03-24 22:21:29)

I've got a general policy of disregarding anyone wearing a Guitar Center name tag, your post is the perfect example why!

Man I would have been incredibly pissed off!
The guy is clearly an idiot!!!
This is why I've learned to do my own set ups. I do all my own work on my guitars. I want a refinish but if I ever get it done it's going to Florian Jaeger!

Florian is the MAN. I've seen some of his work, very impressive stuff.

Did you see his JP LP on the les paul forums?
For those who havn't seen this, have a look!

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt … ht=florian

It's a long thread, incredible though!!!

Hahaha that guitar/thread is the first thing that comes to mind when I think "Florian Jager", that's how I got to know his name! In fact, that Les Paul was on my desktop background for months!

Jimi_lp wrote:

Did you see his JP LP on the les paul forums?
For those who havn't seen this, have a look!

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt … ht=florian

It's a long thread, incredible though!!!

does it say anywhere in there how much he charges for this kind of cosmetic surgery? jeez!  yikes

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Probably not, that kind of thing is usually considered private information between the customer and the luthier.

not if it was a deal! I mean if he charged under a grand for all the stuff he did to that thing, some would see that as an attractive upgrade. More than a grand... I could see only the pickiest of people going this route. ya know, like us.  big_smile