Re: Poor Man's Joe Bonamassa Rig

wwit wrote:
Devan wrote:

Um... Guitar -> Axe-FX -> Verve 8ma ...

big_smile

As I sit here reading thru this great thread, I was wondering where modeling would fall into this. There have been alot of modeling technology improvements over the past few years from where this topic got started in 2009. In my way of thinking a Poor Mans JB rig shouldnt be $5000+....$500-$1000 yeah okay, maybe even as high as 2 grand. There are a lot of modeling possibilities in that price range. And im thinking for home use more than gigging. The Axe-FX or Kemper are towards the higher priced end of modeling, but there are certainly many cheaper options that work well also.

My poor mans rig consists of my Epi JBLP and a MustangIII amp. Liquid solo setting with both guitar volumes rolled back to 4-5 and its a touch sensitive little monster sound.

Nowadays, you can pick up an older Axe-Standard for ~$1000, which brings top notch modelling capabilities to more people.  On the Axe-FX, there is actually a preset called 'So Many Roads' which is a close approximation of Joe's tone.

I also use S-Gear software modeller on my Macbook - I think that is around $79 and it has a couple of great 'Dumble' style presets, as well as some 'Marshall' ones.  Using a DAW or virtual rack, I am guessing you can run the whole 2 amp scenario using S-Gear too...

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

I had already posted this on Joe's Big Reverbicated/delayed tone thread but have just stumbled acrass this thread also, so here goes again... smile

I'm using a 4 amp set-up, running the amps in pairs, so only 2 on at any one time.
Pair 1 are a Marshall JTM1 paired with an Egnater Tweaker 15 (set up for Fender tone). Both amps semi overdriven, so clean up pretty quick when guitar volume rolled back. The Tw15 has a splash of chorus and a Boss Fender Spring Reverb running in the FX loop. Very nice tone for Blues Deluxe/Midnight Blues.
Pair 2 are a Marshall JMP1 again paired with another Tw15 which has another Boss reverb (plate) in the FX loop. This is my lead tone and is close to what you hear on Live from Nowhere in Particular.
My pedal board is forever expanding but overdrive is provided by a Fuchs Plush Drive and a Ibanez TS808. May add a Bogner Ecstacy Blue into the mix in the near future.
Main guitar is a Gibson LPR8 with Burstbucker 1&2's...

JB shows: Newcastle 2015, Hammersmith nights 3&4 2015, Calling Festival 2014, Newcastle 2012, Bridlington 2010
Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls; Skinnerburst #018 (Aged), Texas Burst (Heavy Aged), Fender Custom Shop Strat '63 Relic
Amps: Mini Jubilee Head, Carol-Ann Satin

Some interesting posts on here, anyone thought about the Line 6 DT25 with a HD500 floor processor, this can run 2 amp sims at once and I am sure would come to close to the sound we are all looking for.

Myself I only play at home these days and use a Blackstar HT5 with a TC Electronics Nova System in the effects loop and a MXR GT OD, Fulltone 70 and crybaby in the front end, this does get very close to Joes tone if you set the guitar and amp carefully.

"Keep Calm and Rock On"

I have a pretty basic setup that I can get all the tones I need.

Guitar (Strat, PRS DGT or Cabronita)
(MXR EQ sometimes)
Fulltone 70's
Custom Audio Wah
Xotic EP Booster
Fulltone Plimsoul
Line 6 M5
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Carbon Copy Delay
Zvex Box of rock (on all the time with the knobs set to noon, used as a preamp)
Fender Blues Deluxe reissue in smokey tweed

With this setup I can get tones ranging from Joe, Stevie, Jimi, Robben Ford, David Grissom, Pearl Jam, there's not much this rig can't do. Except heavy metal maybe.

Fuzzblues wrote:

(MXR EQ sometimes)
Fulltone 70's
Custom Audio Wah
Xotic EP Booster
Fulltone Plimsoul
Line 6 M5
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Carbon Copy Delay

With this setup I can get tones ranging from Joe, Stevie, Jimi, Robben Ford, David Grissom, Pearl Jam, there's not much this rig can't do. Except heavy metal maybe.

Nice set up, thinking about getting a Fender Amp myself just not sure which one yet, maybe a DRRI

"Keep Calm and Rock On"

I try not to buy to much gear since i suck at playing.
I have 2 guitars. An Epiphone JBLP and a Squire Vintage modified strat.
I use both guitars through a VOX VT 20+
It's almost impossible to get good tone out of it. Maybe because i live in an apartment where i can't crank it up.  But at the moment getting better at playing is more important than tone anyway.

115 (edited by DougH 2013-04-07 06:37:36)

rioi wrote:

through a VOX VT 20+
It's almost impossible to get good tone out of it. Maybe because i live in an apartment where i can't crank it up.

At best up it through a Webber attenuator between the output of the amp and the speaker.
This being a solid-state modelling amp, you should have some sort of attenuator built in.

you can then crank the amp and take the volume to a whisper.
but all you have in this VOX from what I can see is 1 - 12AX7 tube to try and warm things up in the pre-amp before the solid state power output

I would suggest using this as your 'dry' rig

then get a all tube low wattage amp for you warmer amp, and run the to together.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Cybertwin68 wrote:
Fuzzblues wrote:

(MXR EQ sometimes)
Fulltone 70's
Custom Audio Wah
Xotic EP Booster
Fulltone Plimsoul
Line 6 M5
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Carbon Copy Delay

Nice set up, thinking about getting a Fender Amp myself just not sure which one yet, maybe a DRRI

I thought about the DRRI but couldn't try one. The blues deluxe sounds great with the box of rock just adding that bit of break up. Hit it with whatever override you like and it sounds killer. Does a great job of the amp of break up at sensible volumes meaning my fuzz pedal sounds great through it.