Re: Poor Man's Joe Bonamassa Rig

Don t know if this vid has been posted before but this guy has made  a pretty good Joe  like sounding  set up here with 2 amps..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKBC7rc_ … r_embedded

"There hasnt been a note on the fretboard that hasnt been played before.."
                                                                                              Joe B.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default … tent=music

ou are totally right mbca,  joe bonamassa playing my vox VT15 would probably sound JB anyway ... but you know for the occasional player as I am, it is easier to progress and sounds better with a better set-yup because my hands are not trained as profesionnal players smile

I already posted a video where i play a part of "so many roads" in my vt15 and it gave me a very satisfactory sound ... but we always want something bigger, something more complicate hehe

As Joe jokes in the BBC interview about his 4 amps set-up, that it all sound the same when he switch from 2 amps to another 2 hehe ... funny but true

JBLP #214 very proud owner smile

Yes this has been posted before. Its the setup from Justin (stratpaulguy86 from the JB forum).
Its a great setup he made.  And also beside a sound hound he is a supernice and helpful guy. smile

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Fair enough, I am gear geek anyways, so can understand the need for bigger and better, all part of the fun.

amused wrote:

ou are totally right mbca,  joe bonamassa playing my vox VT15 would probably sound JB anyway ... but you know for the occasional player as I am, it is easier to progress and sounds better with a better set-yup because my hands are not trained as profesionnal players smile

I already posted a video where i play a part of "so many roads" in my vt15 and it gave me a very satisfactory sound ... but we always want something bigger, something more complicate hehe

As Joe jokes in the BBC interview about his 4 amps set-up, that it all sound the same when he switch from 2 amps to another 2 hehe ... funny but true

Definitely not poor mas amp, but how would an Orange Rockerverb 50 do as the amp always on in a multi-amp setup? I'm tone chasing, and this is what I currently want to do.

Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Stratovari wrote:

Yes this has been posted before. Its the setup from Justin (stratpaulguy86 from the JB forum).
Its a great setup he made.  And also beside a sound hound he is a supernice and helpful guy. smile

Alex

Thanks Alex!  Right back at 'ya! cool

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Thanks - How are those Orange Tiny Terror Heads - never played one yet, but my dealer has them for pretty cheap new - about $400.00 out the door - I beleive they have that Brit sound.  I've not heard a Marshall outside of my friend, who plays in Billy Joel's band that uses an old Plexi that I liked.

My Ceriatone OTS actually sounds best with just reverb, delay with OD channel (set with OD level/Ratio in a "Y" position)- OD channel might or is better than any OD pedal I have and I have a lot of them...sad to say in a way, as I've spent probably $1K in OD pedals prior togetting this amp to get this tone.  I would like to use my Two Rock 12-65R 1x12 Cabinet with a head in combo with Ceriatone through my other 1x12 with EVM12l Classic, then put either reverb or delay on each - I think that's the ingredient others are saying?

jgalvan8804 wrote:

t92780

I use a 100 Watt Fender Twin and a 30 Watt AC30.  The vox gives me that english chime and british tightness, while the Fender gives me that american thud. I keep both clean and use two pedals to give me my different overdrive levels. I like the Ocean EFX Texas Deuce, and the Fulltone Fulldrive. Both have great gains and you can interchange them as low gain or high gain depending on taste each day.

I use one as a light overdrive and one as a lead tone. I use a Boss Channel selector to decide which one I want.  Its a great setup and it sounds great. The ABY people like here is the whirlwind.  A lot of folks have had issues with morley. 

Marshall makes great stuff and people here in this forum at partial to marshall due to Joe's liking of them.  I've never really found one I wanted to buy.  However the Vox's changed my mind on british amps.  I use them alot by them selves.  I love the AC30 and i really like the AC15.  I have the CC1 model without the alnicoblues.  They sound amazing.  I cant tell the difference between the alnico nlues in a side by side test so dont waste the money.   

You should be able to get some great tones from the Ceritone. I'd put the fulltone fulldrive in front volume at 3pm everything else at noon, and see where that takes you.  Keep the amp clean.

Good luck.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever tried this poor man's joe rig:

- Tiny Terror Head (or Dual Terror if it's as good as its little brother...)
- Peavey Classic 30 head (I'm guessing maybe a Dual Terror would then be a better match with the Peavey since the'd both be 30 watts... what do you think, I'm a bit scared that the TT may get drowned in the mix?)

I had a Peavey C30 combo before my JTM45 head and I remember it had really nice cleans along with a nice reverb.

So I would load both amps with a Voodoo Lab Amp Selector into my 2X12 cab loaded with 2 EV's... Do you think it would sound any good? Also, just a practical question: my cab has only one output and the speakers are connected in parallel to put out 8 ohms (they're 16 ohms each) so what do I need to buy to be able to connect both amps?
Thanks! big_smile

vim wrote:
vim wrote:
SOFTMC wrote:

HEY VIM
    nice rig you had there but why delete the pics ? I also have Marshall jubilee and Ceriatone HRM50W which are two great amps to pair and ,create some fantastic textures together, Well done Joe for working that one out. Next you definately want to try the EVM12Ls they make the amps sound so articulate.

I think that every guitar player is influenced by someone and through the years I have tried to nail the sound of many guitarists but thats it!!  its only for my pleasure when I play with my band it sounds like me as I could never be JOE or any of the other guitarists I respect. and admire ITS FUN putting a rig together and to get close to Joes sound , feels awesome.
some of the other guys have posted clips of there rigs so its good to share settings etc

Derek

Sorry, I made some subfolders in the Photobucket archive and the URL changed offcourse. Will fix smile

Should be it + one xtra, for screwing up roll

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21 … n10003.jpg
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21 … BLP004.jpg
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21 … n10005.jpg
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21 … n10004.jpg
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21 … n10006.jpg
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp21 … n10007.jpg

Vim, do you ever have the OCD and the 808 on at the same time. I can get great rythm tones from the OCD but would like a hump in the mid for leads. Would an 808 into the OCD sound good? Anyone else tried this?

twistingcrow wrote:

- Peavey Classic 30 head (I'm guessing maybe a Dual Terror would then be a better match with the Peavey since the'd both be 30 watts... what do you think, I'm a bit scared that the TT may get drowned in the mix?)

I had a Peavey C30 combo before my JTM45 head and I remember it had really nice cleans along with a nice reverb.

So I would load both amps with a Voodoo Lab Amp Selector into my 2X12 cab loaded with 2 EV's... Do you think it would sound any good? Also, just a practical question: my cab has only one output and the speakers are connected in parallel to put out 8 ohms (they're 16 ohms each) so what do I need to buy to be able to connect both amps?
Thanks! big_smile

Hey guys!
Now I have the option of getting a nice Silverface Super Reverb from 1974 (non master volume). Would you spring for the Tiny Terror/Classic 30 double amp set-up or would get the Super Reverb? I'm a little scared that the Super may be way too loud for small clubs (50 to 150 audience) even though I have a plexi shield and besides I really don't have a clue about what the TT/C30 thing will sound like. I need your help here, what do you guys think?
Thanks!

twistingcrow wrote:
twistingcrow wrote:

Thanks! big_smile

Hey guys!
Now I have the option of getting a nice Silverface Super Reverb from 1974 (non master volume). Would you spring for the Tiny Terror/Classic 30 double amp set-up or would get the Super Reverb? I'm a little scared that the Super may be way too loud for small clubs (50 to 150 audience) even though I have a plexi shield and besides I really don't have a clue about what the TT/C30 thing will sound like. I need your help here, what do you guys think?
Thanks!

If it were me I wouldn't even hesitate.  I've played the Tiny Terror and Classic 30 a bunch of times and they do not compare to the wonderful sound of my old '68 Super.  The Super is going to be PTP wired, likely very reliable (due to high quality components and materials), has some of the best sounding reverb on the planet, and is totally an iconic amp.  If you check my Youtube videos on my "Stop" demonstrations the amp was on about 3 which is very clean.  All of the overdrive was coming from my Fulltone Fulldrive 2.  It takes pedals incredibly well and still gives you that wonderful clean.  Not to mention, when cranked, it offers up some of the juciest overdrive I've ever heard.  The ONLY drawback is that it's on the heavy side, but that's what casters are for!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Fuzzblues wrote:

Vim, do you ever have the OCD and the 808 on at the same time. I can get great rythm tones from the OCD but would like a hump in the mid for leads. Would an 808 into the OCD sound good? Anyone else tried this?

Both on sounds good for those screaming solos that demand a little more push. I then use the 808 as a boost only. Gets a little more noisy though, but nothing critical.

twistingcrow wrote:

- Peavey Classic 30 head

I owned a Peavey Classic 100 (yes, x8 EL84's!) 100 watt tweed head. It sounded great through a 2x12 Fender Bassman Cabinet I had stocked with Hughes & Kettner British voiced speakers. A great clean, and good distortion too. I'd recommend them for budget use. Any early 90's Peavey Classic tweed series is great.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

My MetroAmp JTM45 is about to be sold and I need to make up my mind on what's gonna be my next rig. I can't spend more than what my JTM45 will sell, which should be around 1200€ (1500$). Remember that some amps here in Europe cost sometimes twice as much as what you'd pay in the US.

I'm still hesitating between a one amp setup for the obvious reason: easier to carry around, more plug and play type of thing (The 1974 Super Reverb I have seen is still on sale and I can still have it if my JTM45 sells soon enough).
Or a more complex 2 amp-setup but here the choices are tremendous. Getting one awesome amp is already hard but getting two is even more so.

I have absolutely no idea about the "dry" Dumble/Fender amp to choose: classic 30 head, koch studiotone head, what amp head has great mids that the Marshall will lack?
The "wet" amp will obviously be a Marshall, but again choices are huge: what would you get between a DSL2000 50 watt head, 30th anniversary head, JCM 800 head...
Geez, I'm lost here... Saw a G. Moore video yesterday where he plays a 1980's JCM 800 1X12 combo and he sounded awesome, Parisienne Walkways as good as it gets...

I also know that Moore recorded some songs with a Tiny Terror and you know the result, awesome tone... Maybe my first idea Peavey classic 30 head paired with a Tiny Terror head is good. But then again the TT has no effect loop and I can't put the DD-3 in there...

Why can't I play 1000+ venues, things would be so much easier: a Marshall 2555 + a Twinkleland and Stop! lol

Well, I am running a a Volume Pedal, to a Dano Cool Cat Vibe out to a Morley ABY:

A goes to a Fulltone Fulldrive2, then to a DOD Vibrothang (Leslie), to a Reverend Goblin 15 watter/ 110, which has a Line6 Echo park in the loop

B goes to a old Ibanez FL9 Flanger, into a HBE Powerscreamer, into a Dano trem (little cheap yellow one) out to an Egnater Rebel 20, with a Digitech Hardwire Verb pedal in the loop.

The Goblin is a 6V6 amp, and the Rebel has both 6V6 and EL-84s. I run the Rebel about 75 percent 84's. I do have to adjust everything depending where I am playing, at home or in the clubs. I run a mike on both amps, into one channel on the board L&R, very convincing. The only problem is that little amps=little headroom, so I am on the overdriven side alot, I have to run everything

I get very close, but I don't have Joe's fingers, so I can't really say I nailed it!

Everything I have is used except the Morley, and the HBE.

I use a Jaguar HH, or a Reverend Warhawk. Both do really well, to catch his tones.

Sargeslide

88 (edited by Steve E 2010-02-08 20:25:15)

twistingcrow wrote:

My MetroAmp JTM45 is about to be sold and I need to make up my mind on what's gonna be my next rig. I can't spend more than what my JTM45 will sell, which should be around 1200€ (1500$). Remember that some amps here in Europe cost sometimes twice as much as what you'd pay in the US.

Take a serious hard look at the Cornford Amps.  Built in the UK they should be right in your budget, especially on the used market.

http://www.cornfordamps.com/

Take an equally serious look at the Elmwood Amps as well

http://www.elmwood.se/

I readed in this 3d, rig of 5000 € and it'll be a poor man JB rig???? roll

The poor rig is a rig under 500 €...

A question: to replace a Marshall Jubilee is adapt a Orange Tiny Terror? And what little head (15-20 W) is adapt for "dumblesque" amp?

TNX