Re: Poor Man's Joe Bonamassa Rig

LesPaul4 wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with or opinion on Fender Super Sonic 112?

http://www.fender.com/products//search. … 2160500400

I'm thinking about trading in my Vox ac15 for a 40 watt or better tube amp and this one have caught my eye cuz I can get a new one for under $1,000 USD.

My G.A.S. has changed to A.A.S.,,,,LOL

Barry

I'm like the little red devil on the shoulder....this may help your decision on the supersonic. IMO great amp.  Enjoy the humor/tones!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqWvw9QmxsQ

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

LesPaul4 wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with or opinion on Fender Super Sonic 112?

http://www.fender.com/products//search. … 2160500400

I'm thinking about trading in my Vox ac15 for a 40 watt or better tube amp and this one have caught my eye cuz I can get a new one for under $1,000 USD.

My G.A.S. has changed to A.A.S.,,,,LOL

Barry

I thought the Super sonic was ok. If you are looking for a fender sound for under 1000 you have lots of options. I love my twin,  100 watts, very nice clean channel. Also you have the Super which is known for great cleans, even the bassman. I'd go with one of those before I went with the super sonic. But the super sonic has overdrive which isnt horrible. Good luck.

39 (edited by Fandango1 2009-02-17 18:51:36)

A little off topic but I couldn't resist...heres my <10Gs and >1G rig.

Various pedals-Lehle amp switcher-

Category Five JB Plexi 50 Watter (DD3 in the loop)
Category Five 1900 enclosed in custom box   Thanx DonR!!! (Boss RV5 in the loop)

both plugged into a vertically split 4 x 12 cab supplied by CAT5 and populated
with Celestion 12-65s. Notice the baffle system(home built)

Very versatile setup with very full sound...the JB Plexi combined with a JB Goldtop is a kick...thats all I can say. The 1900 on its own really kicks **** with the Strat and Teles. The two heads combined have a tone all its own...Bonamassa like, Gary Moore-ish, just depends on settings/pedals.

It really does come down to the fingers though guys...and gals!
Heres a couple shots. Hope you lik'em...

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 … 5Stack.jpg
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 … xiglas.jpg
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 … 5Heads.jpg

and a short clip to demo the JB Plexi...Bridge To Better Days

[img]http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp181/Bloosman21/CAT5/th_Bridge.jpg[/img]

CURRENTLY: CAT5 JB PLEXI 50W, CAT5 1900 50W, Split 4x12 cab.
Fender Strat, Tele. Gibson LP including ole #174 JB Goldtop...

In heaven right now with the CAT5 rig!!!

I think I have a really simple Bluesrock setup.

-Stratocaster hot rod 62 reissue ( the main one)
-Stratocaster 83 modified to get the second tone button ( there was only the volume and
                           one tone on that strat edition) and modified to get the standard input jack

-Texas special pickups for the 83 and stock pickups for the hot rod 62

-Rivera fandango 2x12 combo with celestion vintage 30 and modified to get a volume knob   
for the boost on each channel.
-Tubescreamer Ts9
-Vox wah
-Boss Tu-2
-Banzai fireball overdrive (Don't really use it anymore)
-Boss Super Chorus Ch-1 (not really use it)
-Jim Dunlop Jazz III ......and lots of my fingers for the picking.
-Dean Markley BLuesteel 10-46 strings for the 62, but it will be 11-52 soon
-Daddario 11-49 for the 83

I'm always looking to get new stuff but do my best with that setup for today.

I don't believe in psychology....I believe in good move - Robert James (Bobby) Fischer

Time to blow some life back into this great thread!

I've until now used the Ceriatone 2550 with a Celestion G12-65 Heritage equipped DIY 1x12 cab and the Blackstar HT-5 with a DIY 1x12 with Celestion G12M Heritage. The Ceriatone goes through an Ultimate Attenuator.
Sold the Blackstar today and will replace it with a Marshall Class 5 next week.
The Class 5 will then be run through the attenuator and with Fulltone OCD/Maxon OD-808 in front.
All other effects are in the 2550 loop (delay, reverb and tuner).
If that does not work sattisfyingly, I will probably either buy a Princeton Reverb RI or bild myself a Ceriatone OTS of some kind.
Different amps, I know, but I like them both.

vim wrote:

Time to blow some life back into this great thread!

I've until now used the Ceriatone 2550 with a Celestion G12-65 Heritage equipped DIY 1x12 cab and the Blackstar HT-5 with a DIY 1x12 with Celestion G12M Heritage. The Ceriatone goes through an Ultimate Attenuator.
Sold the Blackstar today and will replace it with a Marshall Class 5 next week.
The Class 5 will then be run through the attenuator and with Fulltone OCD/Maxon OD-808 in front.
All other effects are in the 2550 loop (delay, reverb and tuner).
If that does not work sattisfyingly, I will probably either buy a Princeton Reverb RI or bild myself a Ceriatone OTS of some kind.
Different amps, I know, but I like them both.

If you don't mind my asking, why the mix of a higher powered amp with a lower one?  I'm sure it'll sound killer, and in the true spirit of the thread a video of your rig in action would be even better!  Thanks for reviving this thread BTW.  It was such a thrill to have Joe check out my rig and validate my existence!  I am going to be doing a couple of new videos soon of some more recently aquired amps and toys tongue .  Just got a house so I can finally crank those puppies! cool

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Living in a semi-detached house and with a wife and kids that do not appreciate the sound (or looks) of a cranked 100-watter, the smaller low-watt amps seem to be a sensible solution, so it really is the Ceriatone that sticks out from the crowd here. I rarely get to play really loud anymore, so it's turned out to be a hunt for that one miniwatter that can simulate the bigger ones fairly well. Been thorugh a few without finding the optimal sollution yet. It might not exist...
Marshall Class 5 will be my 9th attempt, and if that doesn't do it, I think I'll resign.

The Ceriatone stays though, as it sound killer both on low volume and cranked.
Next summer I will build a separate, soundproofed room, so maybe it's time to build another 50-watter.
But which Ceriatone should I choose then...???

vim wrote:

Living in a semi-detached house and with a wife and kids that do not appreciate the sound (or looks) of a cranked 100-watter, the smaller low-watt amps seem to be a sensible solution, so it really is the Ceriatone that sticks out from the crowd here. I rarely get to play really loud anymore, so it's turned out to be a hunt for that one miniwatter that can simulate the bigger ones fairly well. Been thorugh a few without finding the optimal sollution yet. It might not exist...
Marshall Class 5 will be my 9th attempt, and if that doesn't do it, I think I'll resign.

The Ceriatone stays though, as it sound killer both on low volume and cranked.
Next summer I will build a separate, soundproofed room, so maybe it's time to build another 50-watter.
But which Ceriatone should I choose then...???

The 50 watt Ceriatone Overtone of course! wink  Cool thing about the Dumble type amps the magic comes from the preamp instead of the power amp.  Of course they sound better when cranked too but their power section is a lot like a Fender Twin Reverb, just tons of headroom.  If you are a Joe fanatic like the rest of us that's what I would do.

PS please report back on the Class 5.  It has no master volume so maybe it's still loud???  I have yet to see one in stores and I hear it's like a 'mini-Bluesbreaker'.  If it sounds really good and is built to last I may have to pick on up on the cheap.  Good luck making your "mini-bonamassa" rig man! cool

Yeah the Class 5 is loud allright. I'll report when I get it (got one, but had to return it, as the grill was severely damaged in transport). First impression was very good, though.

vim wrote:

Yeah the Class 5 is loud allright. I'll report when I get it (got one, but had to return it, as the grill was severely damaged in transport). First impression was very good, though.

Very cool, can't wait until the stores around here start stocking them.  How would you describe the tone?

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
vim wrote:

Very cool, can't wait until the stores around here start stocking them.  How would you describe the tone?

The claim that it sounds a bit like a smaller Bluesbreaker is not entirely wrong. I liked the cleans and semi-clean a lot. Dimed it also sounded quite good, but clearly suffering from cheap, crappy tubes. Looking very much forward to trying it with some JJ's and maybe play a little with different speaker etc.  Maybe change a few caps for better ones, and install powerscaling...:rolleyes: It never ends...

I think I have the cheapest poor man's Bonamassa setup ever!  I have a Fender Princeton Chorus Amp.  I have a Digitech RP150 set up for a Marshall Amp, also a Sparkle Drive Boost pedal, and then the second channel on the Fender amp set on some heavier distortion.  All going to an Epiphone Les Paul.  It sounds good, definately not an exact Bonamassa sound, but it's fairly good.  I may be getting a Marshall Amp for Christmas, but I can't spend more than $400.  Thinking about a Class 5.  what do you guys think?

This is a great topic.  I like the old Fender Blackface heads.  I have a 1965 Bassman & a 1965 Bandmaster. Bassman has a British mod in the bass channel which was done by David Allen at Allen Amps.One of the best if you have an old Fender that needs some TLC.  He went through both of these amps and they are now very dependable tone machines.  His rates are also very reasonable. The normal channel is stock.  I use a Lehle P-Split to combine the channels, or just use one channel or the other.  Modulation pedals are a Digitech Hardwire Reverb, Keeley Boss DD 3 Delay, and an Analogman Chorus.   Drive pedals are a Fulltone OCD, Fulltone RTO, and a Barber Small Fry.  If I am going more for the Eric Johnson Tones, I use a Butler Tube Driver instead of the Small Fry.  Cabinet is a Marshall 1965A 4x10 or a DR Z 2x12, or both.

50 (edited by vim 2010-01-05 17:46:06)

I promised a follow up on the Class 5:
Sold it tongue

Point is that I wanted a small combo for playing while the family sleeps. Not possible with the C5 if you want decent sound.
It is a great amp though, as soon as tubes are replaced and rattle eliminated (seems to ba an issue with most of them).
I also discovered that half tje JJ tubes I received from my local dealer was microphonic. Seems like JJ have a quality control issue...

On the "Poor Man's JB Rig" side though, things have gotten extremely much better (and more expensive):

Amps: Ceriatone 2550 and OTS HRM 50. What a duo!!! The 2550 runs through an UA attenuator.

Cab: Bought a cheap (but actually quite good) 2x12 Laney cab and replaced the seventy 80 elements with Celestion Heritage G12-65 (for the OTS HRM) and Heritage G12M (for the 2550).

Pedals: TS-808 RI, Fulltone OCD, Boss tuner, TC Nova Repeater delay, Hardwire Reverb and a Radial Bigshot ABY box.
A Fuchs Verbrator for the HRM is on it's way (if the polish seller can be trusted :-)).
Overdrive and tuner placed before both amps, and the reverb + delay is in the 2550 fx loop.

Cabling is George L, except for the guitar cable (Planet Waves with Neutrik Silent plugs).

Guitars are JB LP #157 (w/Lux BB caps and RS pots), R9 (w/SD Antiquity, RS kit and Tonepros bridge) and collecting dust, a US Strat from '05 (w/Lace Holy Grails and RS kit),

This is a fantastic sounding rig, but offcourse still leaves me wanting a small combo that gives me a hint of the good sound at whisper level hmm

Vim this is fantastic. Let me know about your progress and what settings
you are ending up with. I have almost the same setup except I have the HRM100.
Maybe you can upload some clips?
I became a big fan of the 2550. Like this amp to bits.

As to the effects. I have the Fuchs verbrator too and its by far the best
reverb unit I ever heard. Until the Fuchs my fave was a Boss RV-3.
I still struggle a bit with the Dumbleator thing that is integrated in it.
There is a series/parallel switch inside which seems to be set on parallel
as default. Needs to be on series. Going to experiment with it on thursday.

But I have all my effects in the loop of the HRM and let the 2550 run
totally dry. I like its pure sound with no peds in the signal path beside the TS-808 RI.
Keep us updated. Thats cool stuff.

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

You're all so lucky, haha smile Its not always about trying to copy Joe's rig to get his tone, I've experimented with quite a few amps in the shops I know locally, and some even over the country, and none have really got me that close to Joe's tone. However, I do have a Marshall DS1401, which is not TOO different from the DSL100 head, and after trying around with it for a few months, I've found what I call 'my tone', but recently, I've tried the JAZZ III picks, and honestly, it makes such a difference in giving you the similar shimmer that Joe's tone has. Just an piece of advice I've picked up.
But several weeks after finding this very close tone, I'm still not going to use it as my own at gigs. It's not that I don't want to copy Joe, it's that I want to be myself, which at the end of the day, isn't that better than forking out thousands on a replica rig?
Rus

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

vim wrote:

I promised a follow up on the Class 5:
Sold it tongue

I knew 5 watts wouldn't be enough after I tried practicing my Epi Valve Jr. through my Marshall 4x12. It simply wasn't loud enough for band practice. Just got a F-er Blues Jr.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

RusScagell wrote:

You're all so lucky, haha smile Its not always about trying to copy Joe's rig to get his tone, I've experimented with quite a few amps in the shops I know locally, and some even over the country, and none have really got me that close to Joe's tone. However, I do have a Marshall DS1401, which is not TOO different from the DSL100 head, and after trying around with it for a few months, I've found what I call 'my tone', but recently, I've tried the JAZZ III picks, and honestly, it makes such a difference in giving you the similar shimmer that Joe's tone has. Just an piece of advice I've picked up.
But several weeks after finding this very close tone, I'm still not going to use it as my own at gigs. It's not that I don't want to copy Joe, it's that I want to be myself, which at the end of the day, isn't that better than forking out thousands on a replica rig?
Rus

The DSL 401 is a great amp. Almost bought it, when I chose to go for a Ceriatone build instead. I also had the same experience with the Jazz3's. Never liked them before. Now I can not use anything else.
And you are more than right about playing style, picks and what not allways will make you sound like you even when playing your idols own rigs. I think most of us realize we'll never sound- or even want to sound exactly like Joe. I guess my style (unfortunately maybe) was forever shaped in a hard rock band allready 25 years ago...
Still we like to build a rig with some target sound and I gladly admit that the gear nowadays is as important as the playing. Money, time and age giving different possibilities than in the starving band-days through the 80's.