Re: Gary Moore on Bonamassa

Eva´s Dad wrote:

What´s wrong with these poor girls´name??

Bwahaha

Gunter was that "Die ultimative Chart-Show" ? If so, I guess an artist can hardly be faulted for taking advantage of any marketting opportunity that comes their way, particularly if he played (or was it mimed)? SGTB given the high profile that song has in Germany right now LOL...

Maybe Gary is planning another foray into "mainstream" pop LMAO...... (and of course staying true to a genre LMAO)......

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

Joe, next time you chat with Gary, throw this back in his face:

"In the new Guitar Player magazine interview, Gary is asked if his days of experimentation are over now that he's playing blues.

Gary's answer: "Otis Taylor, who I play with, wants me to do an acoustic album. He had me playing banjo and a lot of acoustic instruments this year, so you never know. I'd also like to do a cover album of songs from the 1960s, but I'd do my own versions rather than trying to capture the original sound. That would be experimental by nature because that era was so psychedelic. I just saw Jeff Beck last week and he got me thinking about using sounds on my guitar again. He had ring modulators and lots of reverbs and delays, and they really worked for him. He had a beautiful sound and it made me realize that sometimes you should be more sonically adventurous."

More pot/kettle stuff eh???

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

Eva´s Dad wrote:

Nothing, I like the Pussycat Dolls.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

I think everyone has taken Gary Moores comments and most have read in to them that GM has a problem with Joes ability.

Recently I was at a local gig when the promoter came over and said I am happy to shake the hand of anyone wearing a JB t-shirt (obviously did not fancy doing it if I wasn't).

During the chat that followed I mentioned the rumour that JB and GM may tour together. He responded  by saying that he knew GM's band very well and the word was that GM was "very apprehensive" about JB and that a tour was unlikley. I think the remarks made by GM support those comments. I also note that GM's gig two days before JB's was still not sold out when I looked just before Xmas - maybe that hurt him too!!!!

I have always been a fan of GM but JB has far more "tricks" in his locker. At times these days after 35 years of concerts I get a little bored at some gigs, but since discovering Joe in 2008 I get even more bored, as Joe has raised the bar far too high for most.

Why do people get so stuck in putting music into little boxes - I feel that often this can be due to the fact the artist is only capable of playing well in a certain way. When you have Joes ability why waste it when combined with this JB has such imagination to compliment the playing.

bigjeffjones wrote:
Eva´s Dad wrote:

Seriously?? But anyhow: thank you for teaching me politically correct writing.
Günter

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Eva´s Dad wrote:

The other day I saw Gary Moore in German TV performing next to Anastacia and the ***%# Cat Dolls. Well, Mr. Moore, I thought, seems to be your place. But did the ***%# Cat Dolls ever teach Joe how to play the blues?
Günter
Seriously: the best I can say about him that he has Otis Taylor playing in some of his gigs and that he was contributing some good guitar playing in Otis´"Definition of a circle".

Gunter, I agree that Defination of a Circle is a great album, as it Gary's playing on it, that time he used a little contraint.
The feline word has sexual connotations in America, hence the reason it is blacked out.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Eva´s Dad wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:
Eva´s Dad wrote:

Seriously?? But anyhow: thank you for teaching me politically correct writing.
Günter

Of course...but I'm shallow and sexist. wink

You're welcome.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

I think it bears to mention that Gary has never been a Blues purist in any sense of the word.  He was a rock guy first, then came his blues days.  He has always had roots planted in the blues but has been on the outside of straight blues.  Still got the blues is not a straight blues song in any sense of the word.  I believe his comments are in bad taste considering I have heard he himself defend his right to play with his gain cranked up and with blazing speed over a otherwise straight blues tune.  Pave your own path and be true to yourself.  Bravo Joe.....

P.S.  I am still a huge Gary Moore fan, though in this case I believe he is a bit jealous..

Mike

45 (edited by Deezer 2009-01-02 14:19:01)

There is absolutely nothing with the Pussycat Dolls. When the tv is muted. And when Joe's music is on. Nothing I tell you! big_smile

Otherwise, it really is just a bunch of cats on a fence screeching at the moonlight, in my opinion.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

First i'll say that ive really liked GMs style of playing and his music for quite a number of years, but I dont agree with his advice. While I dont wish to downplay his talent as a guitarist I would have to ask if he  himself hasnt hurt his own career by doing just what he advised Joe to do ?. While Gary is indeed a majorly known performer in Europe I would take a relative guess that he never plays the US because his ego couldnt take the degrading of playing to halls of 200 -300 people and probably lucky to pull that .
Well known players are having trouble pulling descent crowds in certain places these days as the middle age + group of listeners just isnt always supporting the former greats the way they used to. There is no question that many have become nothing but nostalgia as theyve in many cases been unable to write any descent new material since their initial popularity 20-30 years ago. How many times will anyone be thrilled at seeing the whole same set played the same way year after year.

hmmm....I love reading the opinions of the great guitar players because it offers great perspective into their own personal tastes.

Joe's influences are vast? I agree.

Isn't gathering influences and experiences part of playing blues? You pick up on more as you go and that affects your playing.

I think Joe has always been on the "educated" side of blues, what with the classical background, etc. But I think that the little tributes to YES and India are indeed an evolution from the sterotypical "blues tributes" to SRV or even Hendrix. People have heard that before in local bars.

A Joe show says "try our new flavors." Apparently Gary Moore likes to order "the usual."

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Been reading these comments with interest , i was told this briefly before Christmas by a friend but had not seen the transcript at top of thread ........... This is how i see it , I think Gary's comments are probably taken out of context , while being in full flow in an interview he's asked that , and yes he's replied in an unprofessional manner with some abrupt comments but does say at end " Not to Sound Derogatory" ..... Nevertheless
I guess as Jim said there is a bit of Artist Envy in there , they are in or around the same area , filling out 2,3000 arena's , slightly below the Eric & BB superstar arenas , But Joe is DEFINITELY on the up and GM Is Levelling , So why all the Fuss he reckons
I'll tell you why and all these other posts too are saying JB's Songs are Brilliant and Emotional Music Forms and the Live Show is Just Awesome ........ I've seen Gary Moore twice and was anticipating a great show ... and it was from a very very accompolished guitarist , but not as Eva say's "Soul Moving" came out happy and entertained , but not Jaw Dropped and on a musical high ............ This is all about opinions and Gary's opinion/remark about Joe being "Overblown" is Uncalled , He's in The Public eye now and Headlining at The Royal Albert Hall and 2 days Previous Gary's at The Hammersmith Apolllo ( there's the proof )
Glad to see joe calls him a friend and i'm sure Gary's say's the same .... Just a Bit of Healthy Friendly Rivalry

.............................. Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

well i never thought somebody would say on record something like that.

GM i never rated as a blues player, he has decided that for himself, I heard him do a cover of red house and thought wow thats good. Since that initial track i've listened to 100's and maybe only a handful that are original. His last few albums have been copies of different styles of players, he too has strayed from being his original self. His latest album i thought he would get done for copying peter green again. I dont like it much as he seems to have found a new sound and has used it in nearly all the album. Once again he has went back to playing, as i also think JB makes mistakes with, too fast for too long for too many times too much.( i tried to get more too's in but couldn't lol).

Music as a whole is a form of art, artists go thru periods of experimental phases, if they didnt music would be the same. JB to me is still going thru this phase, maybe he hasn't found what he wants yet? only he knows. Until then as they say you cant please everybody all the time . Other artists should mind their own business and concentrate on them selves. Maybe he does feel threatened? no. Jealous? maybe. Things are so much easier today than before when you had to tour the world before you were even heard of fairless famous or sell your products. How long had BB King or Buddy Guy played for before they were ( or are they  yet) a household name in the UK?

Joe should treat this as yet another stepping stone to overcome to reach his goal. It's water under the bridge.

Graeme

Happy new year folks - Lang mae yer lum reek

Blues is the spice of life, Live it, Love it, Feel it, Play it.

Too bad this thread took the turn it did.  Slagging Gary Moore does not elevate Joe.  It is not a crime for Gary to offer an opinion or advice (even in a public forum).  That's what he did and it pains me a little to see fans at this forum take it in such a negative way.  In the end we don't have to choose between them.

For those that were interested in the Gary Moore Forum, this site is about as official as a fan site can be:

http://www.garymoorefc.com/

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

dknight16 wrote:

Too bad this thread took the turn it did.  Slagging Gary Moore does not elevate Joe.  It is not a crime for Gary to offer an opinion or advice (even in a public forum).  That's what he did and it pains me a little to see fans at this forum take it in such a negative way.  In the end we don't have to choose between them.

For those that were interested in the Gary Moore Forum, this site is about as official as a fan site can be:

http://www.garymoorefc.com/

We're not slagging Gary, just giving him a friendly whack...I mean advice. big_smile

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

This is what I think about the overblown interview:
1. I believe the interviewer probably exaggerated Gary's response to his flaming question.
2. If there was a negative response by GM, I think I'll sympathize to some degree his annoyance being asked the question in the first place.
3. Quit bashing the guy.  He deserves a little more respect and, yeah, he's a pretty darn good guitarist.
4. It seems Joe has taken the high road in this matter and others should follow suit.
5. I happen to think his new album is pretty good and don't care if he's using someone else's style.

An Irishman is not above a good whack.  Come to think of it...nah never mind.

Welsh, Scot, whatever.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Curby wrote:

This is what I think about the overblown interview:
1. I believe the interviewer probably exaggerated Gary's response to his flaming question.
2. If there was a negative response by GM, I think I'll sympathize to some degree his annoyance being asked the question in the first place.
3. Quit bashing the guy.  He deserves a little more respect and, yeah, he's a pretty darn good guitarist.
4. It seems Joe has taken the high road in this matter and others should follow suit.
5. I happen to think his new album is pretty good and don't care if he's using someone else's style.

Okay, I'll bite here...as a journalist, it amazes me when something comes out that doesn't put someone in their best light, that immediately they were  "misquoted, or "taken out of context".:rolleyes: They either said it or they didn't, and if they did, they have to let the chips fall where they may.  As for the question, it's a perfectly legitimate one to be asking, as Joe is quickly rising to the top of the guitar world, and would be a natural one to ask given the situation. How Gary chose to answer it is his issue, not the journalist. Definitely not questioning his legitimacy as a guitarist. Gary has proven what a great talent he can be, given the right circumstances and inspiration. He will always have my respect in that regard.

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/