Re: Gary Moore on Bonamassa

Hi Joe, thanks for posting your take on GM's interview. I've had one or two people being -ve about your style (not your playing), either because they are blues purists or because they hear too many influences in your playing and claim you haven't developed your own style yet. I think these comments are mostly from people who have only a superficial acquaintance with your playing as I'm sure all Forum members would recognise your playing anywhere and anytime - evidenced by the advert you did. But don't worry I'm turning these non-believers onto your music.;)

As far as I'm concerned I love the variety of the music you play and if you want to play a bit of Yes or Purple, that's fine by me (it takes me back to my yoof wink).

Does EC play just the blues? No. Did Zeppelin? No. There's light and shade in their music and it hasn't done/didn't do their careers any harm. For that matter, does Gary play just the blues? No! But as you say, he's entitled to his opinion.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Joe may not wanna say it, but I will: Gary Moore can kiss my ****.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

From all the replies you can see the passion we as Joes fans have:) I am sure Gary's comments were well meaning but I dont think he thought about what he was saying. I have seen GM twice and each time was fine but nothing spectactular. He has no 'stage presence' and does not reach out to the crowd, he can play a guitar though, but his concerts are just like listening to the cd.
I honestly think he could learn a lot from Joe on how to grab a crowds attention. When I watch Joe I would sooner piss my pants than go to the restroom for fear of missing something. I have seen many top end performers but noone has grabbed my attention like joe has on this last tour. I saw 3 of the shows and would have seen every single one if possible. I cannot put my finger on what it is but Joe you definately have something that Gary does not.
Also you can you buy tickets on the door for garys shows, try doing that for a Joe gig;)

While he has every right to his opinion , I choose to disagree concerning the issue of Joe being Overblown. If Joe had come out of nowhere and skyrocketed  to insane heights with unjustifiable amount of airplay and little talent then I might agree but thats hardly the situation. I doubt that there's many guitarists of his talent that have had to fight and
scrape and slowly crawl their way to where he is. Look at the amount of recognition and airplay that dozens of far lesser gifted artists have enjoyed at a much younger age than Joe. Who has ever toured for the amount of years and at the pace that Joe has with little or no media hype. Look at the loyal fanbase that Joe has achieved while flying under the radar of the media. Has anyone Ever before been able to play the RAH with no airplay ?
Joe has more than rightfully worked for every bit of success he's achieved !

Bob wrote:

While he has every right to his opinion , I choose to disagree concerning the issue of Joe being Overblown. If Joe had come out of nowhere and skyrocketed  to insane heights with unjustifiable amount of airplay and little talent then I might agree but thats hardly the situation. I doubt that there's many guitarists of his talent that have had to fight and
scrape and slowly crawl their way to where he is. Look at the amount of recognition and airplay that dozens of far lesser gifted artists have enjoyed at a much younger age than Joe. Who has ever toured for the amount of years and at the pace that Joe has with little or no media hype. Look at the loyal fanbase that Joe has achieved while flying under the radar of the media. Has anyone Ever before been able to play the RAH with no airplay ?

WELL SAID!!!

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

=o|-[ wrote:
Bob wrote:

WELL SAID!!!

I agree with you too Bob, but I also feel that Gary was in his mind attempting to be helpful in his "advice" to Joe.  It is strange that he would say that though, given he's played rock, metal, celtic rock, jazz and music with dance beats in the past.  Maybe his perception of what Joe wants to do, differs from his own percention of himself (if that makes sence). Guess we won't be seeing a Joe + Gary jam at RAH sad
Actually I'm surprised Gary has not toured the USA in so long, I assumed when he recorded songs with Albert Collins, Albert and BB King that those would have been done in the United States...

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

25 (edited by SOFTMC 2009-01-01 18:29:24)

HI
   Looks like Joe is starting to rattle a few cages in the Guitar God world. the mere fact that some one in an interview with Gary Moore would ask about Joe speaks volumes .
To say that Joe has not developed his own style is ridiculous I could tell Joes playing instantly . Gary Moore is entitled to his opinion ,but opinions are like arsholes, everyone has one!!!! lol

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

My two cents - I saw Gary Moore for the first time later on the same day that I saw Joe for the first time at Bospop '07 - he had nothing to offer that even for one moment distracted me from having been totally gobsmacked by Joe.

'Nuff said.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

I've said it before and I'll say it again, If you listen to the voice inside of you, you will never go wrong. Joe was doing that from the beginning and he still is, in my humble opinion. I hope he continues to.

As for Gary Moore, I hope he doesn't live in a glass home.

ohiodawg13 wrote:

I own nothing by Gary Moore due to the fact he never impressed me that much, but Joe on the other hand.

Doin' Fine in '09,

J Dawg

Exactly.  Gary Moore or Joe B, who would I choose to see?  Hmmm....what board am I on now?

"You know, if you want to be a blues artist, be a blues artist, stop playing Yes songs and Indian songs"

Again with the labels.  How do I do the eye rolling emoticon thing???

If heartaches were nickels
I'd be the richest fool alive

Joe Bonamassa
Administrator

Gary talked to me about all that before.. I really respect his opinion but in this case I dont agree with him.. I am not on a blues pilgrimage.

LOL...well sayed.... if it was so i wasn`t a JB Fan

This coming from a man who has put out the same type of blues album since 1990.

I love Gary's playing but the only thing he's done in recent years that's excited me was the Phil Lynott tribute DVD, and since he's turned his back on rock his playing has gone steadily downhill. Perhaps he should be the one investigating Yes covers and other styles of music to rekindle his passion. Amazing he'd say something like this about anyone considering when he was coming up it was all about experimentation, trying out new sounds for inspiration. Sometimes people should take Frank Zappa's advice and just "Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar" . wink

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Gary talked to me about all that before.. I really respect his opinion but in this case I dont agree with him.. I am not on a blues pilgrimage.  I get bored with just playing blues.. I love it but I get bored.. ADD kicks in and Im off to the next. Its not my fault Mom never gave me Ritalin or Strattera when I was a kid.. ( Joking of course) I like the big rock show, I like the blues, I like Indian music and I like Yes..  So I choose to play it. Thats the beauty of being a solo artist.. I can do whatever I want.  I dont take his comments personally or nor do I think they were meant to dis me in anyway.  I am guilty of the "pontification" moment in interviews just as much as the next guy.  Gary has been around and has a lot of success.  He has earned the right to give this 31 year old punk kid some advice now and then.  Whether I use it or not is another question.. I am in the entertainment business not the blues business or the guitar business. As long as the fans are entertained Im happy.. Thats my story and Im sticking to it..  I also want to add that Gary is a super nice guy and I am proud to call him my friend..
Joe Bonamassa

Gary is a great player and so are millions of other guys as well, I think it bothers Gary that JB came out of the womb playing like water off a ducks bill, and by the way God did'nt intend for every blues rock hero to be on top, just so happens Joes been there all his life and will be there until God says different period, Sincerely, Big B Smiles

Gary is probably just trying to be "blues" Dad. I have allot of respect for Gary Moore and recently purchased his new album; which I think is outstanding.

Joe will just keep doing what he is doing and as long as he loves it, that is what matters. It really doesn't matter what Gary or I think for that matter. Joe has the rare opportunity to do what he loves for a living.

Personally, I love the variety of Joe's work and I think that is what separates him from the hordes of other guitarists. Gary himself has changed generes many times and should be open minded about it. Oh well.

#275 JB LP

Thought I'd check out Gary's web site and see what, if anything, the fans there are saying.

There's no forum.
I was quite surprised, as I have taken Joe's site to be typical of a major players site.
......................Hmmmm. Maybe not.

There's no interaction with the readers as far as I could see. No samples, no video, no photographs......not much really.
Shame.

I can understand that musos at Gary's level are likely to be busy guys and maybe don't have the time to interact with a web site.
Maybe we're very spoiled.

There was a link to a Hungarian fan site which made me smile.
It's called "The Lord of the Strings"
Excellent and amusing play on words title.

I think Joe's said it all above.
Looks like Gary's words were well meant. 

I wouldn't be offended if Gary wants to give Joe a fatherly hug on the RAH stage and swap some licks smile

Gary has always demonstrated a mean and curmudgeonly side, particularly when questioned about the success of others. There is defo a jealous streak running through his soul. That is why I listen ONLY TO HIS MUSIC.I travelled overseas to see Gary in two gigs including one in his hometown of Brighton. Despite Gary and his management being well aware of my presence and desire to meet him (I was in fact in the company of a couple of lads who run Gary's "unofficial" site, and had spent two nights in Weston on Super Mare boozing it up with Gary's brother Cliff, as diametrically opposed personality wise to Gary as humanly possible, what a superb guy) they left us out in the cold November rain in favour of Gary's fawning local anorak wearers. Oh well, I lost a lot of respect for the man that night (and had been forewarned how prickly he could be). I still have respect for his talent but NONE whatsoever for the person. I might add, the sit down session with Neville Martin on that magazine DVD shows Gary demonstrating some wicked traditional jazz riffs and so while he talks about Joe sticking to a genre, he very much continues to broaden his own playing horizons... Hmmmm very much like calling the kettle black I would say??????

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

The other day I saw Gary Moore in German TV performing next to Anastacia and the ***%# Cat Dolls. Well, Mr. Moore, I thought, seems to be your place. But did the ***%# Cat Dolls ever teach Joe how to play the blues?
Günter
Seriously: the best I can say about him that he has Otis Taylor playing in some of his gigs and that he was contributing some good guitar playing in Otis´"Definition of a circle".

Rock On and Keep the Faith

What´s wrong with these poor girls´name??

Rock On and Keep the Faith