Re: When you hear Joe playing on the radio

Wooders wrote:

Danny Bowes, the singer from Thunder, has a show on Planet Rock on Sunday afternoons and yesterday introduced Blue and Evil with "Here's Joe Bonamassa and his very clever guitar". lol

If only it were that easy, Danny. You gotta practice, practice, practice........

Listening to it on repeat Phil - I wonder if he played it cos it would be a perfect song for Thunder to do live.

Speaking of Danny Bowes - see above – Danny recently played Sloe Gin on his show and mentioned that his band, Thunder, had played on the same bill as Joe at the Clapham Calling Festival in 2014. In the artist rest area Joe said to Danny “I must have really upset someone”. Danny replied “what do you mean”, to which Joe answered “well, I have to follow you and be the warm up for Aerosmith”.  Needless, to say I didn’t think Joe had any need to worry as the audience were on his side and duly impressed.

When relating the story, Danny kept saying what a nice man that Joe Bonamassa is. smile

And speaking of Sloe Gin, Planet Rock plays a classic album in full on Monday evenings without any ads or bulletins and, guess what, tonight it’s Sloe Gin! PR had a poll this morning and Sloe Gin was the winner, which means that either Planet Rock listeners have only heard one of Joe’s songs or they are more hard core than I give them credit for!

Anyway, if you’d like to hear Sloe Gin in its entirety tonight, 25th January, you can catch it here: Sloe Gin on Planet Rock

11pm UK time is 6pm on the chilly East Coast of USA and 3pm for you sun worshippers on the West Coast.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

This might be a new one and not specific to being played on the radio...my wife and I were at out favorite pizza pub in Central Illinois when we heard Black Lung Heartache being played over the stereo lspeakers. 

It was pretty loud in the bar area and we weren't really paying attention to the music being played but it was as if everything got quiet when we heard and recognized the first few chords.  I couldn't tell you any other song that was played before or after it but it certainly caught our attention as soon as Joe came on over the speakers.

76 (edited by RickB 2016-02-03 19:20:17)

I don't think i've mentioned it and it is online, but Pandora has a Joe Bonamassa channel with a fab mix of Blues, Blues Rock and plenty of JoeB. Something of his is about every 3rd tune with some great Bluesmen and women mixed in between. Whoever came up with the mix knows exactly what to play for me. cool
Whenever I'm sitting around and too lazy to change disks, that is my go-to choice. The rotation is about 3 hours worth of non-stop joy. You won't mind doing a couple of laps.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Prime time UK radio airplay is all down to the Radio Pluggers....tracks don't end up on the big channels (BBC) by happy coincidence or by merit. Always been this way. Had a friend who worked as one in London.

With perfect timing I plonked myself into my seat on the train on my commute home last night and switched on Planet Rock to be greeted by the opening bars of Sloe Gin. A blissful way to start my one hour journey and I nodded my head and tapped my feet most of the way through it. smile  I had to keep the volume through my headphones down as I was in the quiet zone, but it was loud enough to enjoy.

Whenever I hear Sloe Gin on the radio, which is not infrequently, I always think of Michael in the Sloe Lane and the hilarious tale of his journey home one hot July evening in 2008. There will be a lot of newer members who won't have seen this, so I hope it brings a smile to your face too. Read to the end for the funny bits all told in Michael's inimitable style.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”

On Phil Alexander's show on Planet Rock last night he played drive Drive and plugged the interview with Joe in the April 2016 issue of Mojo magazine. Phil is the editor of Mojo magazine.

Interview with Joe in Issue 269 of Mojo magazine

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

My first introduction to Joe's music was on the internet station bellyup4blues.com.  They play Joe a lot besides a lot of other great artists.

He done a good job. All songs are mind blowing.

Yes, most of Joe's songs are mind blowing, but your post has still been reported!

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Mountain Climbing on Planet Rock now.

Mountain Climbing on Planet Rock this morning around 7.10am. It's the first time I've heard this track, so at the risk of blasphemy, my thoughts are; love the guitar tone and the less is more playing, the backing singers caught my ear and add a little something but the tempo and Joe's voice and phrasing reminds me of something from a previous album, although which track I can't put my finger on at the moment.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Report from a f/b pal. SiriusXM spooled up Drive today. On a POP ROCK channel!
Joe's crossed over to the dark side.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Wooders wrote:

Mountain Climbing on Planet Rock this morning around 7.10am. It's the first time I've heard this track, so at the risk of blasphemy, my thoughts are; love the guitar tone and the less is more playing, the backing singers caught my ear and add a little something but the tempo and Joe's voice and phrasing reminds me of something from a previous album, although which track I can't put my finger on at the moment.

Phil

Reminds me of Blue and Evil.

87 (edited by Rocket 2016-04-02 02:03:18)

Was out for a Drive last night, nope didn't have Blues Of Desperation in the CD player, cassette, or iPod...instead it was radio scan territory.  I like the conflicting frequency, power, and propagation path surprises, and...I like to give a fair shake to any music or anybody ranting, reciting, rapping, or raving about anything.  Yeah, I can let the scan roll on incessantly, picking up whatever somebody decides/decided worthy of tramsmission on my airwaves...I can stop anywhere, not necessrily for any specific or predetermined time.  A classical, jazz, or world piece might get a full play and more,...or not.  Rock songs don't get but a slight edge over a random Mexican canción.  Some Things do have cause and effect of "Autostop." A song from The Doors, can't afford to keep scanning-Stop!  So, after, real time, a promotional ad for Joe Bonamassa's Stockton show comes on Mountain Climbing riff and refrain playing a short spot.  Thank goodness the presentation appears to be scripted professionally by J & R and not some by some doof who had to Google info about Joe and spew it with obvious lack of connection about what portends personally attending the coming attraction's one night only performance.  I was duly impressed, and the (local) announcer made it "pop!"

I hope this repeats in other markets, and, if so, would like to hear about any others thought about how they thought it went over. smile

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

As I have mentioned on here before, I am lucky enough to live within earshot of WGLT on the campus of Illinois State University, Normal IL.  I just got wind that they have added B.o.D. to their playlist!  Check em out at wglt.org and click on the blues link.  Thanks again Jon Norton!

"You can't put a price on cool."

They are playing "Drive" on Sirius/XM - B.B. King's Bluesville as well.

.......and caught two cuts on WGLT this weekend.  They are spinning "Drive" and "Bill and the Blues".  I guess their tagline is true.... wglt.org "Best blues on Planet Earth".