Re: When you hear Joe playing on the radio

Unsurprising as biscuits and tea Joe gets played on Planet Rock, Phil, compared to the Shock and AWE we would have if we heard Joe on terrestrial radio stateswide...

Thank goodness for Planet Rock's diversity. 

Rock ON Planet People & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Unsurprising as biscuits and tea Joe gets played on Planet Rock, Phil, compared to the Shock and AWE we would have if we heard Joe on terrestrial radio stateswide...

Thank goodness for Planet Rock's ONGOing Faith.

Rock ON Planet People & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Ditto!  Thank goodness for Planet Rock!  It was through them I heard Joe for the first time (I used to listen while at work but work cut me off - BOO HISS!)

Now I run my own on-line radio station and play plenty of Joe and BCC stuff.  (Thankfully, I get to listen to my own station while at work - YEAH!).

I am more than happy to post a list of stations that play Joe from the radio network I'm on if people are interested.  Most of them are free to listen to and I'm sure broadcasters wouldn't mind hearing from people.  A few do require you to have a membership but not many.  Last I checked there were 52 stations playing Joe.

And for those wondering, yes, royalties are paid to the artists, composers and songwriters everytime a song plays. It's a requirement that the songs we play on our stations are registered with ASCAP, BMI and I think the third one is SoundExchange or something like that.  Too early in the morning for me to remember. :-)

Okay..I need to scoot..I'm actually posting this from work which is a big no-no.  Happy Tuesday everyone.

https://live365.com/station/a72706

5/16/14 Hampton Beach, NH (First Joe show!)
1/15/16 Burlington, VT

Sirona wrote:

Ditto!  Thank goodness for Planet Rock!  It was through them I heard Joe for the first time (I used to listen while at work but work cut me off - BOO HISS!)

Now I run my own on-line radio station and play plenty of Joe and BCC stuff.  (Thankfully, I get to listen to my own station while at work - YEAH!).

I am more than happy to post a list of stations that play Joe from the radio network I'm on if people are interested.  Most of them are free to listen to and I'm sure broadcasters wouldn't mind hearing from people.  A few do require you to have a membership but not many.  Last I checked there were 52 stations playing Joe.

And for those wondering, yes, royalties are paid to the artists, composers and songwriters everytime a song plays. It's a requirement that the songs we play on our stations are registered with ASCAP, BMI and I think the third one is SoundExchange or something like that.  Too early in the morning for me to remember. :-)

Okay..I need to scoot..I'm actually posting this from work which is a big no-no.  Happy Tuesday everyone.

Also at work, college, no students so Planet Rock is blasting out in the classroom whilst I work.. The station is getting better at playing more variety than it used to. Much less a classic rock station than before. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Black as Night from Joe and Beth's new Live in Amsterdam DVD was played on Paul Jones' show on BBC Radio 2 last night and very good it was too. PJ remarked on Joe's "superb solo in the middle of the song" and said that "the DVD, due out on the 25th in the UK is very watchable".

There's always something to look forward to when you're a fan of Mr B. big_smile

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

No mentions on this thread for a while so I'll just say that I was listening to the repeat of Bernard Docherty's Blues Power show on Planet Rock last evening and he mentioned the new album out on 22nd December and then played Further On Up The Road from the first RAH show. It was great to hear it so unexpectedly and the memories of that night and seeing EC appear on stage with Joe came flooding back and of meeting all the new and now lifelong Buddies from the Forum for the first time that night. History in the making it certainly was.

As I was listening to Blues Power in the bathroom with the windows open I'm sure the neighbours appreciated it too. big_smile

You should be able to catch Blues Power on the listen on demand feature on PR.

Is Joe on the radio so frequently now that you've all become blasé about it? Surely not.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”

61 (edited by Champster 2014-06-28 09:17:49)

Wooders wrote:

Is Joe on the radio so frequently now that you've all become blasé about it? Surely not.

If I heard Joe on the radio, I'd be pretty excited & post it here.  But, I don't really listen to the radio anymore.  I only have terrestial radio in my car with little to choose from but Country, Hip-Hop and "Classic" Rock stations that play the same ancient stuff over & over & over again.  Tiresome & boring.  I listen to my iPod in the car instead, which has LOTS of JB content smile.

Here in Adelaide, Australia no Joe on the radio what so ever...

I have yet to hear any reg radio stations play Joe here in KC but I have been e mailing of them to play him. One station had been playing Gary Clark so why not JB? I'm going to keep trying to get him so radio play.

nope .. never hear a radio station in Toronto ever play JB

I did hear only once a ad for the show he did on May24, 2014.. and never hear that radio ad again.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

I 've never heard any of my regional radio stations in Germany play one of Joe's songs! I really do not understand why he gets no airplay over here, because the fanbase is strong and I'd assume there is still a big listenership, especially in the region where I live, of Blues and Rock oriented music.

66 (edited by Sirona 2014-07-13 18:59:33)

Jane H. wrote:

I'm think I will try to ask the station i mentioned to play Joe again. I have pretty much given up over the past few years but this ticket thing gives me another topic to discuss i guess and I think there is a new program director. of course I believe that its basically a Payola issue, you never know when someone who makes the decisions might see the value......goodness knows the listening public (who own the airwaves by the way - in the USA) deserves better. shouldn't have to demand it but if the ticket topic doesn't work i am feeling about directly complaining about the lack of serving the public as our rights of owning the airwaves dictate

Does the station you listen to big enough to have a Music Director? That might be the person to hit up more so than the Program Director but sometimes the PD is the MD.  Also, if your station is owned by a company (ie Clear Channel) they may have restrictions placed on them that is out of the local stations hands.  Radio Announcers don't have a lot of freedom in who they play as they have to follow a playlist however most do keep track if an artist or particular song keeps getting requested.  Eventually that song and or artist is added into the rotation. 

As a former radio announcer my advice, gather your friends and have them call up and start requesting Joe.  Don't be annoying about it and call every hour but once a day or every other day and with different announcers. Have different people call and make a request.  It can work against you too if you go full throttle about it.  Since Joe will have a new album out soon, I'd wait until then to hatch your plan.  Much easier to add someone into a playlist when they have new material out and listeners are ringing the phone lines.

Most of the time if you have concert ticket giveaways it has to do with promotions.  Typically, the station plays the music of the person they have tickets for so for them to giveaway tickets to Joe or BB without playing either one is odd but it does work in Joe's favor because he's being talked about.  It's a win for him as people will be curious, check him out, etc.

I can understand your frustration though.  Radio is a nutty world.

As for around here, I have no idea if they play Joe.  I quit listening to commercial radio shortly after I left my radio announcing job.  I listened to Planet Rock for sometime and then started my own on-line radio station.  I play as much Joe as I like as it's my way of supporting him and getting his music out there.

https://live365.com/station/a72706

5/16/14 Hampton Beach, NH (First Joe show!)
1/15/16 Burlington, VT

I have been listening to Joe on deep jams radio

http://deepjams.net/

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

I don't hear Joe on the radio, but I'd like to hear "Different Shades Of Blue" on the radio one of these days!

Rock ON & Dial IN the Faith,
Rocket

I heard Get Back My Tomorrow on Planet Rock yesterday morning. I'll be polite and diplomatic and just say it didn't grab me on first hearing, not that it won't grow on me. Has anyone else heard this track yet?

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Not to completely derail the current discussion happening on this topic, and hopefully I am not opening a giant can of worms here, but I have wanted to ask for awhile the general question of why Joe is not on the radio more?  Is radio play even something that J and R focus on in any capacity? 

I will fully admit I have no idea how the radio thing works, but as a complete outsider it seems to me that given Joe's rise in popularity, list of accomplishments, connections in the industry, and high quality music that getting him on the radio more would not be that hard of a sell.  Again, I am sure there is way more to the story that I am not aware of.  It also seems that from Joe's perspective there would be potential benefits to be realized such as radio play royalties, increased exposure and increased fan base. 

Again, not trying to make this a big deal...I just have been curious for quite awhile if radio exposure for Joe is a focus of the J and R team at all or if that's not really part of their master plan with Joe.

PJ (Paul Jones) has just played Living On The Moon from DSOB and gave the album a plug, recommending the limited edition digipack version. That's the one where you can play "where's Wally or Waldo" on the photo of Joe and the band walking back along the walkway at the Clapham Common Festival. The Wally and Waldo in this case are me and Michael. If you're looking for us, the clue is we're not at the back, but then again, if you know us you wouldn't expect us to be. wink

Thanks to a Forum Buddy I've also got the Best Buy version with the extra tracks too. What a great album DSOB is. smile

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Danny Bowes, the singer from Thunder, has a show on Planet Rock on Sunday afternoons and yesterday introduced Blue and Evil with "Here's Joe Bonamassa and his very clever guitar". lol

If only it were that easy, Danny. You gotta practice, practice, practice........

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis