127 (edited by Danny! 2009-07-14 22:09:25)

Re: Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Registry (Serial Numbers "BONAMASSA XXX")

It's funny, the Gibson site no longer says that the JB LP is a limited run of 300. I know that's what it ran as, but I don't think Gibson would leave it to the customer to know that only 300 were made. It makes me think that you may still be able to order one...Gibson will do anything for enough money, and I have no doubt that if you offered $20,000 they would make you a Non-Aged JB LP. And if not you could take that money to a luthier, spend a quarter or half of the money, and have them make you one that could rival even Joe's!

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Danny! wrote:

It's funny, the Gibson site no longer says that the JB LP is a limited run of 300. I know that's what it ran as, but I don't think Gibson would leave it to the customer to know that only 300 were made. It makes me think that you may still be able to order one...Gibson will do anything for enough money, and I have no doubt that if you offered $20,000 they would make you a Non-Aged JB LP. And if not you could take that money to a luthier, spend a quarter or half of the money, and have them make you one that could rival even Joe's!

They made 300 'aged' ones, and as far as I can work it out, any that are ordered now (not part of that 300) are non-aged...

Beautiful, who wants a guitar aged by a factory anyway! So when I'm out of college and finally have some money freed up I'll be able to get one.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

130 (edited by GeneralAndromache 2009-07-15 00:15:24)

You would be surprised, I know that it seems like a bit of a 'cheat' by having an aged guitar straight out of the factory, but it does make a difference to the playability and even the sound...

By 'breaking' the guitar in a little, it means it plays a lot more comfortably (like an old friend) as soon as you get it also, by using thinner lacquer or wearing some of it away, it opens the wood up and stops all that nice tone wood being clogged up.

Besides, it is the aged ones (that were part of the first 300) that are the most collectible. I got the chance to chat with Joe about his guitars a while back and he showed quite a distaste for the non-aged guitars and mentioned that Gibson had somewhat taken it upon themselves to manufacture these and extend what was originally supposed to be a limited run... As you said, Gibson just want the money! If there is a market for these guitars, then they won't stop making them!

I don't see what it would be cheating, I just prefer breaking it in myself. As long as the 'stranger' plays well they'll become an 'old friend' in no time. I don't think Gibson would produce non-aged guitars if the nice tone wood was covered and it didn't sound good until it'd been used for a number of years.

I'm certainly part of the market for these guitars, albeit it'll be a ways in the future for me. I'm just glad I didn't only have a couple months to get a Joe LP. I understand if Joe's upset because it was supposed to be a limited run, but I've never liked that idea in the first place. I say let there be guitars for all (who can afford them)!

132 (edited by RICjunkie 2009-07-15 04:04:18)

From what I've learned, Joe wanted them to come "aged" so that the owners wouldn't be terrified to accidently ding or scratch them during use. He wanted them to be played, not to sit in their cases while the owners waited while the guitar's value appreciated.

Also there were only 250 aged guitars. Numbers 251-300 were un-aged. It's a shame if Gibson continues building them.
There are several models in different price ranges that can be ordered as gold tops. Joe's is unique.

Danny I hope you win the lottery so you can pay for college AND get yourself a JBLP! big_smile

Major Tom to ground control...

If the player has any common sense they'll fear the first ding because the guitar's just too purty, and then after it happens they'll get over it.

Haha I hope I win the lottery too, thanks Tom! (Assuming it's my world and everything else is just part of MY story) Once I win the lottery I'll be buying a new JB LP though. New, fresh out of the factory, non-aged, and beautiful. And she will be played. For many an hour.

Honestly I'd rather buy a new non-aged JB LP than even a used non-aged. The dings are just personal to me, I don't know. If it's a choice between a new $3,000 guitar and a slightly used $1,800 guitar, the choice is obvious, but all this is under the assumption that I win the lottery smile

That list is a great idea, trying to keep track of all the owners. Maybe one day I will be on there, just maybe...

I just thought we needed to add Keith Urban to the registry. Not sure what serial # he has but he has a Joe Bonamassa Inspired by model Les Paul. It is aged.

jim m wrote:

I just thought we needed to add Keith Urban to the registry. Not sure what serial # he has but he is a Joe Bonamassa Inspired by model Les Paul. It is aged.

Hard to tell, but could this be a signature Joe model?

http://www.keithurban.net/news.html?n_id=8216

Music is good for the Soul...

jim m wrote:

I just thought we needed to add Keith Urban to the registry. Not sure what serial # he has but he is a Joe Bonamassa Inspired by model Les Paul. It is aged.

Someones reading Vintage Guitar Magazine.

138 (edited by Danny! 2009-08-06 18:09:29)

rpic wrote:

Or they saw the thread I posted with a video of Keith playing a JB Les Paul...

David A. wrote:

Nah, wrong logo placement, wrong tuners, wrong knobs, not topwrapped, and cream plastic.

Danny! wrote:
rpic wrote:

Or they saw the thread I posted with a video of Keith playing a JB Les Paul...

David A. wrote:

Nah, wrong logo placement, wrong tuners, wrong knobs, not topwrapped, and cream plastic.

Yeah,......I didn't see that post before I posted.

Where did Vintage Guitar Magazine mention it? That seems pretty odd, but cool though!

Hey Folks,
I really hate to do this, but I need to sell #265, an UNAGED Wildwood JB Les Paul. One of 50 made this way.

Its been played literally 3 times and sat in its case when not being played. All my gear is stored in a cool, dry basement. Absolutely ZERO issues with this guitar, its truely a screamer and JB really hit a home run with these, and Wildwood scored too getting them unaged. They really look a lot nicer in mint shape, in my opinion.

I am located about 10 minutes from Wildwood, they know me there and I am sure if you asked Steve or any of the guys there they would tell you all my gear is kept meticulously clean and stored. There have not been any unaged Bonamassas on their site in awhile and I will ask them if they have any unaged ones left, but I do not believe they do.

Of course, it comes with all case candy, etc.

Looking to get around $3500 shipped/paypalled, of course cash talks.

Tom

'08 Gibson JBLP #265/ '82 Gibson LP 30th Ann Goldtop/ 2006 Fender Wildwood 10 '65 Strat/ 2008 Fender Wildwood 10 '56 Strat/ 2005 Fender Custom Shop '66 Closet Classic/ '62 Airline "Jetsons" 2P/ '83 Fender Strat....plus a ton of others.
'62 Fender Deluxe Amp/ '55 Fender Champ/ '08 Fender Blues Deluxe RI/ '08 Line 6 Spider

Danny! wrote:

Where did Vintage Guitar Magazine mention it? That seems pretty odd, but cool though!

They had a story on Keith Urbans guitar tech and they mentioned that Keith is always getting new guitars. The day that the interviewer was there Keith got 2 new strats (I believe) and a new JBLP.

Is it the issue with Mick Mars on the cover?

No, It has a picture of a Gretch White Falcon.