Re: Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555

Joe, I think its partly your "fault" that the prices go up for this amp. wink
Just kidding, but whenever I read an advertise for this amp it quotes along "...like Joe Bonamassa". And of course it sounds really great what you do with it.
And honestly spoken it was the reason I was looking for it. But I had the chance to play one
(and '88 2555 in black/gold) and was convinced at the sound to have the perfect sound for my band. A couple years back they were so cheap and noone was interested in them too much.
I was lucky to get it over a private advertise and not over ebay.

Thanks for inspiration.
Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Stratovari wrote:

Joe, I think its partly your "fault" that the prices go up for this amp. wink
Just kidding, but whenever I read an advertise for this amp it quotes along "...like Joe Bonamassa".

That means we better grab them up while they can still be had at a reasonable price! smile

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

21 (edited by Louis 2008-12-22 00:08:30)

Alex, I think I speak for many of us when I say- keep us in the loop... This Blues Project of yours has real potential... it will be fun to follow... As far as pedals go, I have decided against it for now. I have all I need to work with at practice volumes, and NAMM is right around the month... If I can learn five or six more really quality songs, than I'll know I'm not just chasing after the "fad". I have about two years practice on acoustic before I got the Strat... so it's not my first guitar... but a first electric.
  And, Joe... I am having a blast with your version of Warren Haynes. It is total sickness the first couple times through it. The chorus is pretty simple, but the solo with all the full bends, pull-offs and viratos is, well... That's going to take a few runs through even focused and determined as I am. I'll get there. At the end of March are two shows in Alexandria, VA. That's only a few hours away from here, so I'm there. I don't think I cant get to RAH, but deffinitely one of those shows.
  As far as a song like that one, it begins somewhere like this:  http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/ … 1466A1.jpg
  And ends up somwhere like this http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/ … 17-1-1.jpg

"All You have to do is write one true sentence..." E. Hemingway

Hi Alex nice looking amp , I have 50w version and love it . I would be interested how you would compare it to the budda superdrive 30 . what do you think of the clean channel on 2555 .
              D.

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

Hi,

I still await this amp to get delivered by UPS. Should get it any day.
But I will make a comparison of course. You are more interested in the clean channel?

My plan was to create a simple stereo setup over a 2x12 cab with the two heads.
I fitted it with one EV 12L and the other speaker is a Celestion G12H30 heritage. Both independent.
The Marshall will run in crunch channel over the EV and the Budda in semi-clean over the G12H.
Also an Intellifex for the delay and reverb stuff. I'm very curious for that pairing. Its much about trial and error. I will report then.

Thanks
Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Hi

sorry did not realise you dont have amp yet I will let you
experiment and come to your conclusions and let you report back.
if you have any questions about jubilee ask as I have spent some
time messing about with speakers and settings to get the best
sound (for me) out of the jubilee I have 5 speakers that I am
currently trying to pair to get best sound- evm 12l , celestion 25w greenback.
eminence redcoat, celestion vintage 30 amd celestion heritage 30.

D.

Alex,

Hi I've been away from the forums for a few days so sorry for the slow response. Thanks for the links. Seems like the Slash went for a low price too :-( In future I'll add the .de site to my favourites. At least de imports will not be charged duty and Vat :-)

Yeah I had the same thoughts as I wrote about the idea of a re-issue. A bit like the F Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverb RI - both on PCBs, and not really re-issues in my mind. At least the original Jubs were on PCBs -but I know that things like the original Blue Filter caps are no longer available even though the original manufacturer is still in business.  If Marshall asked all their suppliers to produce short runs of original spec components the price would be $$$Mega.

Prices seem to vary wildly at the moment - I bought a 2554 Combo, probably as mint as your 2555, for £640. Another one went for £420 in a buy it now. There's one listed now at over £800 but that's going around a second time.  Heads definitely get higher prices though. Also Heads get a harder life as they are far more likely to be gigged than a small combo imho. So I reckon Joe's right you 'stole' that one :-) :-D !!

Re AC30s have you seen the JMI re-issue?? I'm 90% sure these are being produced by the same people making the HIWATT amps here in the UK. http://www.jmiamplification.com/  I believe these are real re-issues!!

Ooops I wrote a book again.

Pete

Hi--I'm resurrecting this thread because I wondered if anyone had any further insight or comments into which channel Joe is using on his Jubilee.  I got one recently which I love--both channels are fantastic IMO--best clean I've heard from a Marshall.  Anyway, I have Joe's "Tips & Tricks" DVD from when he was still using two Jubes as his big solo sound, and neither of them on the DVD have the red LED lit to indicate the lead channel.

Yet when using his Strat in certain sections of that DVD, the sound which has the DD-3 delay to it (left channel of my headphones) is super crunchy and REALLY sounds like the Jubilee's lead channel.  Joe's quoted Jubilee amp settings in this thread show that the master is dimed so would be fairly overdriven anyway, moreso with a Les Paul, but when I play my Strat through mine even with those quoted settings, it's a lot cleaner than Joe's sound on the DVD. (Again, only trying to listen to the amp that's echoing).   Yet when I switch my Jube to the lead channel and play my Strat, barring my technique of course, it really sounds like Joe's thang. 

Just curious.  I did try to watch several youtube vids of Joe and in some shows it does look like that red LED is lit, and in others it doesn't.

And while we're at it--if it is the clean channel--is it with the "rhythm clip" engaged or not? 

I'm into getting my own sounds too so it's no big deal, but since listening to Joe was one of the inspiring factors in adding a Jubilee to my rig, I'm just interested to know for sure.  Thanks for anyone who can offer further insight... maybe even Joe?  smile

Pete59 wrote:

That's a question that has confused me. I also recall a post from Don at Cat 5 where he said Joe uses the clean channel on the Jubilee. Yet Joe specifies
"easy....presence 5 , bass 10 , mid 7.5  highs 4.5 master 10 , volume 5 and gain 5" 
which would indicate that the lead channel is engaged because the volume control (Lead Master) doesn't do anything on the clean channel. When I say that I'm referencing my 2554 50W Jubilee Combo I assume the Heads are configured the same even though the control order is reversed.

I've also taken a few pictures of Joe's rig when he's played in the UK and the Lead LED between the Lead Master and Output Master has been on which would confirm my theory.

The only other possibility I can think of is that Joe uses a different set up when in the USA from the UK. But it would be a significant difference so I think it's unlikely.

Pete

I wanna get one too!!!!

Congratulations, Alex! tongue

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

28 (edited by SOFTMC 2009-04-05 02:43:35)

OK
    Heres my take on Joes silver jube set up he used 2 silver jubes on ANDY , one always on with the settings he told us,
on the lead channel LED ON. he then mixed it with the budda
superdrive 30 or 80 for his clean (sd80) semiclean/crunch (sd30)
or both silver jubes together for his lead sound .1 jube was set higher input gain than the other probably set around 6.5 while the other about 5.0.with DD3 in effects loop, this would give him a saturated lead sound with plenty of gain
I think he also used the guitars volume amd tone pots to get different sounds.
I have found that on my jube if you switch to the clean channel
using JOEs settings and bring the channel volume to about 3or4 so the output valves give a nice  crunch then switch to your lead channel (LED ON ) you get close to JOEs sound I find using a Les paul, bring the input gain to about 4 as the humbuckers dont need as much gain but using a strat with single coils put the input gain up to 6.5

I also found a neat trick to get the effect of 2 silver jubes using only 1 Silver Jube. using another amp preferebly one with a good clean channel ,6L6 tubes with reverb either built in ( or boss rv3 in  loop)

Split the signal in the effects loop (ON THE JUBE) using a Y splitter ie the send to the boss dd3. then send it to the input of the other amp. Use the second amps tone controls to boost the mids.to your taste This is effectively using the pre-amp of the silver jube to drive the second amp (which is set at a similar volume but with clean sound ) this gives you a nice big saturated glob of sound with the mixture of el34 tube and 6l6 which is a nice combination.
You also have one amp with reverb and the other with delay.
when you switch the lead channel off on the jubilee it gives you a nice big clean sound from both amps .

This setup is definately THE POOR MANS JB RIG BUT IT WORKS
and is extremely versatile.

And dont forget some EVM12Ls

Thanks everyone for your replies!

SOFTMC, when you say your take re the LED being on, is that because of how it sounds or is there a good view of the two Jubes in the ANDY Live DVD that shows the LEDs?  I tried to look at a couple of the youtube vids from the ANDY era and couldn't really tell.  I totally agree with you that I hear that sound exactly as you describe the controls--just curious if Joe has ever verified that he was using the lead channel(s) of the Jube(s) back then.

Thanks so much!

SOFTMC wrote:

OK
    Heres my take on Joes silver jube set up he used 2 silver jubes on ANDY , one always on with the settings he told us,
on the lead channel LED ON. he then mixed it with the budda
superdrive 30 or 80 for his clean (sd80) semiclean/crunch (sd30)...

I am making this assumption because of what I hear, also
  the lead channel in my opinion is what makes the silver jub such a great amplifier I dont care for the clean channel much

31 (edited by Jmpman 2009-07-04 17:06:40)

twistingcrow wrote:

Hi!
Go to Joe's posted comments topic. I remember that he said to stay away from the 50 watters because they have a lot less midrange than the 100 watters... Check that! It may be a great amp anyway, but not as good as the 100W!

Hi,

Where exactly is that posting located? I'd be interested to read the whole thing. I currently have the chance to buy the 50 watt and from clips I have heard, it sounds pretty darn good. Thanks.

Jmpman

Here's my theory on the whole 50 watt vs. 100 watt Jubilee "midrange" thing.  The two amps are identical except for the extra 2 EL34s and perhaps larger transformers.  I think what Joe was trying to get across is that he needs a 100 watt amp PERIOD to drive the midrange as hard as he has to given the venues and volumes that he plays at.  He has mentioned that he doesn't feel that any amp really drives the mids the "right way" unless they are at least 100 watts.  My experience with this was at a Sam Ash one day where my buddy was Marshall shopping.  I was just admiring the guitars on the wall and he was jamming on a DSL50, fairly cranked.  It sounded pretty good, but I really wasn't paying too much attention.  Then suddenly he stopped.  Soon he started again and it really caught my ear.  The tone was GREAT, just FAT and reaching my ears perfectly from where I was standing 50 feet away.  I walk over and ask what he was playing and it was the DSL100.  The volumes were set the same, EQ the same, just the 100 watter had more mids and balls.  That's why I prefer 100 watters if at all possible.  If you are playing very small venues or in a small bedroom then the differences are less important.  Just my 2 cents.

-Justin

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Thanks Justin,

I agree. I have both 50 and 100 watt Marshalls and they both have their own strengths. The 50 watters do have a nice crunch while the 100's have the girth and meat to be felt. I may still get the 50 watter as I think it's priced fairly, in the meantime I just picked up a very nice 2555SL (Slash model) that is really a sweet amp in it's own right. Down the road I will keep my eyes peeled for the 2555 Jube, but if prices keep going up I will be more than satisfied with what I have.

I'm looking for the same amp  us model would appreciate any help thanks,JRP

Long time ago that anyone commented here.. Anyways.
I got my hands on a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555 with the original plastic protect on the front panel still there.. It's had only one owner before me. It sounds so @#$%^^&# great! #### me, am I glad I bought it! Had to pay 1770 dollars for it though... (though I live in Sweden so we have a different kind of different value.. Anyways, love the amp. Gonna use it alot on gigs! big_smile

Haha bye guys! <3

Just seen these on ebay JB signed own.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joe-Bonamassa … 657wt_1185

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)