Re: Marshall 2555 Silver Jubilee

I think a few of you are missing my point...  I am not saying its worth more than a thousand dollars.  I am just saying that there are enough people who are crazy about getting the same gear Joe or Jimmy Page or Hendrix or who ever uses. Its crazy.

There is a myth that you need a 59 strat to sound good... or a 59 les paul.
I firmly believe that the old fender tweeds, the classic marshalls, the dumbles, the trainwrecks, the 60 vox's sound great.  They may even be amazing. 

But guess what...

I play a 90's protube fender twin matched with a new chineese Vox AC 30.  I use Fulltone full drives and tube screamer and a DD-6 " I had to have one cause Joe recommended it." I admit I do it too.

I get a great tone.  Its full and thick.  I have to adjust the tone knobs a bit to dial in the sweet spots but its great. I get comments all the time. I use a telecaster and a 58 reissue les paul.  I cant justify buying a carol ann or two rock or whatever. 

I try to create a sound based on how I play and what I have available. If I were to seek out the most expensive gear to try to sound good its a never ending search.  I'd never be satisfied.

These amps are going to sell for 4000-5000 because people want them. They think they need them because if they dont get it then there sound isnt good enough. 

I just wonder if Jimmy Page would still have used his marshall if he had two rocks and bogners and Orange and dumbles back in the 70's. And would marshall be the standard rock sound if he hadnt used them.  I dont know..........

Re: Marshall 2555 Silver Jubilee

Most of the good boutique amps are point to point wired, every component is a huge upgrade from the PC board, machine wired trash Marshall has put out for years.  I have a JCM 800 Mark 11 I use for a paper weight!  Not to say all boutique amps are wonderful, but the good ones, are worth their weight in gold and more importantly will last long after Marshalls PC boards have eroded into dust! 4K for that is rubbish, collectors many times go after something because someone else plays it, Without genetic engineering I ain't never going to sound like Joe, Jimi, Stevie et al!  Good amp makers are few and far between, It's a tough business to do well in, Not always, but when things are mass produced the really special qualities go with it. You can get close, but it's not the same.  Sorry for the Rant!

jgalvan8804 wrote:

He's right on.  There are a ton of crazy people in just this forum who would love to have an amp that Joe Bonamassa, slash and John Frushante? use.  4000 is the cost of a new boutique amp.  Why then would a classic not go for that.

This is the same argument for why a 54 strat is 70,000 or a 58 les paul is 300,000 or why a 59 bassman is 20-30 thousand. 

There are way to many rich people who buy these amps as investments and pull the price up so the rest of us musicians cant ever get one. 

I'd buy that amp if I had the money. Its only going to get more out of reach.

If heartaches were nickels, I'd have 35 cents!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =383604393