Re: I got my JB Goldtop

carydad wrote:

A question for the ages! Depends who you ask. Personally, I think so. But I know a lot of folks who don't think so. PRS single cut tenon is longer, other makers longer still. The new 2008 tenon looks downright freaky, but adds even more neck-body wood contact area. That SHOULD be a good thing. The schon sig had a longer tenon-though I never saw a pic of it, but because of the neck joint carve it had to be a little longer anyway. The LP Axcess that never seemed to get off the assembly line was of great interest to me personally because of the easy upper fret access and I would assume a longer tenon to offset it.

I've done side by side tests on many occasions and longer tenons seem to sustain better to me. If I stick my ear against the upper bout, they seem louder and clearer as well. The JBLP, I cant do that test. It's actually too loud for my ear.

Long tenons are getting trendy. Bumstead guitars has the same thing now too. The tenon almost goes past the rythm pickup. Carvin used to sell neck-thu necks that go all the way back to the strap knob. for building our own guitar.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: I got my JB Goldtop

I think that Joe has #1, the prototype and also #2, #3 and #4...

The Other Joe B.