Re: I got my JB Goldtop

carydad wrote:

I was shocked as well. Made my choice easy though. Not that the 9 and change seemed heavy, but I could tell before he brought out the fish scale and I am not usually that great at that sort of thing.

Only suprise so far is that it wasnt set up for 50s wiring. If Joe plays R9s most of the time, why not make the sig the same wiring? Wierd. Not a fan of burstbuckers either, though they did a decent job of aging them. I dropped in a set of Mules and changed the wiring to 50s, and changed the bumbleplastic to some repro black beauty caps. Not that it needed the new caps, but I had them sitting from another project and wanted to hear them. Band practice tomorrow night, that should be fun.

Props to carydad, gets a new $4500 guitar and cracks it right open and starts soldering! I'm way too big of a chicken to go near my 58 VOS.

I was thinking about trying some different pickups in mine before I got it, but I really like the Burstbuckers (1&2).

Hopefully you can report back after band practice with a further review.

Hell, why not make a great guitar better? I'd do the same thing...50's wiring all the way.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Spider wrote:

I'm a big fan of BKP Mules myself. IMO They're as close to the real thing (PAF's) as you can get.

I'm not a fan of heavily aged new guitars. Light aging is cool.

Now you have me seriously reconsidering my purchase. Maybe I should just jump on getting a 57 goldtop darkback reissue LP, drop in a set of mules and allow it to age naturally? hmmmmm. We'll see.

Great to see BKP Mules making a good name outside the UK. I have a set in my '93 Std transformed it. Also have a set of RS Pots and Caps waiting to go in.

Feel the same way about aging too. I already have a 57 and it's a Darkback too, the Busrstbuckers will have to go... Was thinking about the Mules into the 57 and a set of BKP PGs in the 93. Then I will fit the RS Pots. Wanted to change one thing at a time so I can work out how much difference they make... if that makes sense.

Will do some thinking about the JB  deposit - it's refundable. I really would be upset with a 9.5lb + LP at that price and doubt there will be a choice in the UK dealers. But then the dealer has  a 7 day return policy. Oh decisions..........

Has anyone tried Peter Florence Voodoo '59s would love to know how they compare to Mules.

I held back!

I have a set of RS pots ready to go and ALMOST put those in as well. May still. As far as 50s wiring, it's in everything I have. I dont like putting in the treble bleed circuit-too lazy and I need to break out my glasses to get it done. Between testing the 2 LPs and chatting with the store owner, I had the bridge pup turned way down and hit a note and noticed how bass laden it was. Suprised me. Pretty simple detail, makes me wonder if Joe wanted it that way. Anyone know what wiring Joe prefers? Just curious if it was a design intent, design flaw, or manufacturing snafu. Doesn't much matter now!

I dont pick up guitars to leave in the case, I get them to play. Nothing is sacred in my collection. From the 4K gibsons to the $400 yamaha weddington, everything is fair game. Not one of my guitars has the stock pups, and I have a whole collection of burstbuckers. They are okay, just not my cup of tea. Trying pups, pedals, amps, guitars is all part of the fun. WCR, Wolfetone, WB, Sheptone, Skatterbrane, and lately 3 sets of BK pups. Favorite? Not really. Some match a certain guitar better. WB 6707 double creme in my R9 just fit it. SHeps in the sc245-perfect. Marshallheads in my custom-no brainer. The emeralds in the yamaha-very nice. The butt ugly, beat up, looked like were left in a barn in a Mule stall for 20 years, the Mules-great fit for the crusty JBLP. It's all part of the hobby-or maybe a second childhood. Either way, I'm diggin it.

carydad wrote:

I held back!

I have a set of RS pots ready to go and ALMOST put those in as well. May still. As far as 50s wiring, it's in everything I have. I dont like putting in the treble bleed circuit-too lazy and I need to break out my glasses to get it done. Between testing the 2 LPs and chatting with the store owner, I had the bridge pup turned way down and hit a note and noticed how bass laden it was. Suprised me. Pretty simple detail, makes me wonder if Joe wanted it that way. Anyone know what wiring Joe prefers? Just curious if it was a design intent, design flaw, or manufacturing snafu. Doesn't much matter now!

I dont pick up guitars to leave in the case, I get them to play. Nothing is sacred in my collection. From the 4K gibsons to the $400 yamaha weddington, everything is fair game. Not one of my guitars has the stock pups, and I have a whole collection of burstbuckers. They are okay, just not my cup of tea. Trying pups, pedals, amps, guitars is all part of the fun. WCR, Wolfetone, WB, Sheptone, Skatterbrane, and lately 3 sets of BK pups. Favorite? Not really. Some match a certain guitar better. WB 6707 double creme in my R9 just fit it. SHeps in the sc245-perfect. Marshallheads in my custom-no brainer. The emeralds in the yamaha-very nice. The butt ugly, beat up, looked like were left in a barn in a Mule stall for 20 years, the Mules-great fit for the crusty JBLP. It's all part of the hobby-or maybe a second childhood. Either way, I'm diggin it.

hmmmmm...do I detect a lespaulforum or mylespaul member??????

I started going on a pup hunt for my 58, but there was just too much to choose from out there, I got a bit overwhelmed. Then when I cranked the LP, I liked the way the BBs sounded, so I kept em in.
We really are in the golden age of guitar/amp tone.

Ken is that the LP you played at my house?  I like it , too.

strongenoughforaguitarplayer
butIlikeittoo

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

# 75 arrived at my house yesterday evenning...Played it last night and brought it into work with me today...It plays really nice...I had my choice between 75, 78 and 81...81 was too heavy...Dealer liked the relicing on 78 a little better, but I went with the lower number...75 out of 300...Life is good...

Bizzer

Got the call today from GC that my JBLP has arrived. #36 I will go check it out tomorrow. I wanted to get there today. Didn't happen.

Congratulations Spider...Enjoy...Bizzer

46 (edited by Spider 2008-08-09 13:16:25)

I'm a kid in the candy store right now. I'll post more later! Better than I expected!!

8 lbs 8 oz

She rocks!!!

I am SO happy for my Forum friends who are LUCKY enough to be livin' the dream right now!!!!  GOOD FOR YOU!!!!  Maybe I can actually TOUCH one of your guitars someday.  I waved my hand about an inch over the holy one the other night......... wouldn't DREAM of actually making CONTACT ........

It's a GOOD day when GOOD people have GOOD things delivered to their lives!!!

smile  libby  smile

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

Hi Spider,

congrats bro!!! wink

You will have lots of fun with it. And don't forget, this lady wants to get rocked.
Happy bday and and enjoy the new toy.

I know this feeling to well because today is Christmas and easter at one day.
I got my Gigliotti GT today and i'm blown away. Such an amazing guitar.
But i will start a posting with pics tomorrow.

Take care
Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

bigjeffjones wrote:

Ken is that the LP you played at my house?  I like it , too.

strongenoughforaguitarplayer
butIlikeittoo

That's the one Jeff.

I just received my Kirn Thinline yesterday. Amazing guitar, a great mate for my 58VOS. Even though it's not a JBLP, I feel a kinship to all of you guys. There's nothing like playing a great, new (or reliced) guitar!

The guitar gods smile
Like children at Christmas time
Jamming will ensue

Stratovari wrote:

Hi Spider,

congrats bro!!! wink

You will have lots of fun with it. And don't forget, this lady wants to get rocked.
Happy bday and and enjoy the new toy.

I know this feeling to well because today is Christmas and easter at one day.
I got my Gigliotti GT today and i'm blown away. Such an amazing guitar.
But i will start a posting with pics tomorrow.

Take care
Alex

Congrats Alex! Way to go! Please post some pictures when you can. And maybe a sound clip too???

lil bit, I'll send you some pics in a day or two.

Wish I was jamming with the boys tonight. I know where my old crewe is playing tonight but I don't want to take this out on the town just yet.

I am so happy to hear that all of you are so pleased with my Gibson Les Paul Model.  The guitar means the world to me and I consider this probably one of my most proud moments.   I have been in a down mood lately and this just made my day..  Take care of them, but dont be affraid to beat them up a bit.. They can take it.. I assure you..
Most Humbly
Joe Bonamassa

I don't know anything about guitars, don't know how to play them but for me they are the best instrument in music! I feel very happy for you  now own this brilliant Joe guitar!!

Beautiful looks.

And Joe hope you get to feel better soon. If I can do something or just for a talk , just let me know. You have my email. I can keep secrets, no problem, need that in my work every day!!
Why not help eachother a bit, all forummembers do that when necessary.

Take care Andre Wittebroek

53 (edited by Stratovari 2008-08-10 04:58:21)

Joe, I was smiling too when I read those statements which I understand just too well.
And if I wouldn't own a Gibson 57 LP Goldtop VOS since 4 years (love it to bits)
then I would buy your JB model immediately!

But thanks for the inspiration of the Gigliotti GT. I got mine yesterday and i'm still amazed
at the playability and craftmanship. A great guitar. Its in my living room to have a look at it whenever I pass it. I will play it regulary in my band now.

Warmest regards
Alex

(edit=typo)

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I am so happy to hear that all of you are so pleased with my Gibson Les Paul Model.  The guitar means the world to me and I consider this probably one of my most proud moments.   I have been in a down mood lately and this just made my day..  Take care of them, but dont be affraid to beat them up a bit.. They can take it.. I assure you..
Most Humbly
Joe Bonamassa

Joe, Thank you! for inspiring me to play better. Everyone needs something to create the motivation, that Passion to make them excel. you have done that for so many people including me. Thank you! The world is at you finger tips. You and your music will inspire guitarist for generations, guitarist that will inspire others for generations thanks to you. And they will be playing your Gibson Les Paul...

Take care Joe.
Bill