Re: I got my JB Goldtop

Beerdog80 wrote:
carydad wrote:

Hmm a little more aged than I would like. Maybe I'll be going for the 2008 standard(new) instead. Neck tenon looks interesting on that.

I just played a brand new 08 Standard fresh from the box and it was the best playing guitar I've ever played straight from the factory.  Gibson really did a great job updating the Standard this time.

Yes, they did! They play really well, and is a lot more resonant than the 'old' ones IMO. And its able to gig them, without your back hating you for it.

What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wild beasts sweeping majestically over the fields?

Nice guitar.

Are you trying to sound just like Joe Bonamassa buy buying his guitar and then buying his amp? 

Once you get these items are you going to buy a silver jubilee, two rock and Cat 5.  Maybe mimick his floor pedals too.  Get a shield... Buy some sm 57's and get a band together.

I guess once one has 20,000 dollars worth of stuff they'll sound better then everyone else. 

I think its funny how crazy people get over gear.  Stevie Ray vaughn played thru fenders early on until he got the dumble.  Jimi Hendrix played fairly stock marshalls. Kosoff played thru stock marshalls, Page played thru stock marshalls. Duane Allman played stock marshalls.

They didnt play thru Caegory 5 amps or two rocks, or komets, or carol ann. 
I truely believe tone is how you play not what you play. Joe Bonamassa sounds great thru his new rig, but I love how he sounded thru Budda and the blues breaker and I loved his vox sound.  He doesnt need the carol ann to sound good.

But hey if you got the money to burn...

jgalvan8804 wrote:

Nice guitar.

Are you trying to sound just like Joe Bonamassa buy buying his guitar and then buying his amp? 

Once you get these items are you going to buy a silver jubilee, two rock and Cat 5.  Maybe mimick his floor pedals too.  Get a shield... Buy some sm 57's and get a band together.

I guess once one has 20,000 dollars worth of stuff they'll sound better then everyone else. 

I think its funny how crazy people get over gear.  Stevie Ray vaughn played thru fenders early on until he got the dumble.  Jimi Hendrix played fairly stock marshalls. Kosoff played thru stock marshalls, Page played thru stock marshalls. Duane Allman played stock marshalls.

I truely believe tone is how you play not what you play. Joe Bonamassa sounds great thru his new rig, but I love how he sounded thru Budda and the blues breaker and I loved his vox sound.  He doesnt need the carol ann to sound good.

I agree with some of it. I often hear people go 'Hey, I want to build my own tone, so Ill go buy a Slash Marshall and a Slash Les Paul!'. I find it kinda funny. Even Brian Setzer said, after playing SRVs gear, that Stevie was the only one, who could do the Stevie-sound.

However, I find nothing wrong in buying signature stuff.

What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wild beasts sweeping majestically over the fields?

Local guy got the two JBLPs in. I'll check them out at lunch time. I didnt realize that they were quite so aged. Not a huge fan of the murphy look. I guess we'll see if one of the talks to me.

nice flickr pics. looks nice. very nice.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

24 (edited by Rik Emmett Fan 2008-08-07 12:27:07)

Guitargeek wrote:
jgalvan8804 wrote:

Nice guitar.

I agree with some of it. I often hear people go 'Hey, I want to build my own tone, so Ill go buy a Slash Marshall and a Slash Les Paul!'. I find it kinda funny. Even Brian Setzer said, after playing SRVs gear, that Stevie was the only one, who could do the Stevie-sound.

I was told when I picked up The JB someone is buying up all the New Randy Rhoads signature gear. As for the Category 5 Amp's, I would like some great gear. I am not going to Ebay for a used don't know what your getting Jubilee or something. Some of the new Marshall's are going for about the same price and from everything I have read about the JB's they are designed from equipment that you can't buy anymore like the Jubilee. I will never sound like Joe Bonamassa or Rik Emmett but I will have some of the best equipment available to sound great someday maybe if I had Joe and Rik as instructors for the next twenty year.   

BTW I added some more photo's of my guitar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29278172@N02/?saved=1

Take care...
Bill

jgalvan8804 wrote:

Nice guitar.

To each thier own. I loved how Joe sounded playing a Strat. But he chose to move onto something different. Maybe one is just simply a fan of Joe and wants to have something he has or endorses. So? If someone wants to use Joe and his tone as a corner stone to work their sound from, so be it. If they have the money to buy top notch gear even better. IMO You must not be a tone hound or you would go crazy over gear. Or maybe your happy with your sound, or just don't care or maybe your jealous that someone has something you can't have. Some musicians will never be happy where they are, musically speaking. Those musicians are constantly evolving and are not complacent to remain in the same rut. My hat is off to them.

No matter where you stand as long as you play or just listen, it's all good to me.

L8R
Spider

Rik Emmett Fan wrote:
Guitargeek wrote:
jgalvan8804 wrote:

Nice guitar.

I was told when I picked up The JB someone is buying up all the New Randy Rhoads signature gear. As for the Category 5 Amp's, I would like some great gear. I am not going to Ebay for a used don't know what your getting Jubilee or something. Some of the new Marshall's are going for about the same price and from everything I have read about the JB's they are designed from equipment that you can't buy anymore like the Jubilee. I will never sound like Joe Bonamassa or Rik Emmett but I will have some of the best equipment available to sound great someday maybe if I had Joe and Rik as instructors for the next twenty year.   

BTW I added some more photo's of my guitar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29278172@N02/?saved=1

Take care...
Bill

Of course! Its much more fun playing 'cool' gear!

Its risky buying used tube-amps IMO. You never know, if you'll get a amp that keeps frying the tubes, something that only work half the time etc. I prefer new amps, if my budget can handle it.

Checked out #84 and #94. Couldnt really tell them apart except for the number and the weight...I went with the lighter of the two. #84 was about 9lbs 7oz. #94 was a trim 8lbs 6oz. Both played great. Nice fat neck, as you would expect. They felt the same, sounded great through a jvm and a matchless. God I hate that case smell though...

carydad wrote:

Checked out #84 and #94. Couldnt really tell them apart except for the number and the weight...I went with the lighter of the two. #84 was about 9lbs 7oz. #94 was a trim 8lbs 6oz. Both played great. Nice fat neck, as you would expect. They felt the same, sounded great through a jvm and a matchless. God I hate that case smell though...

Congratulation! carydad, it sound like you bought #084. Enjoy and welcome to the proud owners club.

Rik Emmett Fan wrote:
carydad wrote:

Congratulation! carydad, it sound like you bought #084. Enjoy and welcome to the proud owners club.

I'll second that! Congrats! Wow thats a big difference on weight from one to another. Something to keep in mind. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. But after seeing all the pics showing how heavily the guitar is aged, I'm not so sure I will like it. Time will tell. I hope I get "the call" this week.

Enjoy!

Very cool indeed...the aging looks great I hope they did them all the same way...mind if I ask how much????

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

P/s Happy Birthday...Great present too!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

carydad wrote:

Hmmm that variance in weight surprises me. I had guessed the two piece back was to help Gibson get less variation in weight. ... they are described as light weight two piece backs. I would class lightweight as 9lb or below.  Do I need to re-calibrate my ideas??

I have a deposit down for one coming to the UK :-)

Pete

I was shocked as well. Made my choice easy though. Not that the 9 and change seemed heavy, but I could tell before he brought out the fish scale and I am not usually that great at that sort of thing.

Only suprise so far is that it wasnt set up for 50s wiring. If Joe plays R9s most of the time, why not make the sig the same wiring? Wierd. Not a fan of burstbuckers either, though they did a decent job of aging them. I dropped in a set of Mules and changed the wiring to 50s, and changed the bumbleplastic to some repro black beauty caps. Not that it needed the new caps, but I had them sitting from another project and wanted to hear them. Band practice tomorrow night, that should be fun.

Addendum...it was also missing a screw on the jack plate. The tech caught that though. Gotta love Gibson. Spend 4K on a guitar and they leave off a screw.

carydad wrote:

I was shocked as well. Made my choice easy though. Not that the 9 and change seemed heavy, but I could tell before he brought out the fish scale and I am not usually that great at that sort of thing.

Only suprise so far is that it wasnt set up for 50s wiring. If Joe plays R9s most of the time, why not make the sig the same wiring? Wierd. Not a fan of burstbuckers either, though they did a decent job of aging them. I dropped in a set of Mules and changed the wiring to 50s, and changed the bumbleplastic to some repro black beauty caps. Not that it needed the new caps, but I had them sitting from another project and wanted to hear them. Band practice tomorrow night, that should be fun.

I'm a big fan of BKP Mules myself. IMO They're as close to the real thing (PAF's) as you can get.

I'm not a fan of heavily aged new guitars. Light aging is cool.

Now you have me seriously reconsidering my purchase. Maybe I should just jump on getting a 57 goldtop darkback reissue LP, drop in a set of mules and allow it to age naturally? hmmmmm. We'll see.

Rik Emmett Fan, you're obligated by guitar nerd code to give a stupidly long review on this beast tongue How does she play and sound through your current rig? Does she resonate well? Hows the fret dress? Give every detail you can hombre!

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan