Re: What is your amp of choice?

Mine is a JCM 2000 DSL 100.  Would love to try a Fuchs.

Mine would be:

- 68 Deluxe Reverb
- Yamaha (Soldano) T-100c
- Marshall JTM 30
- Andrews Amp A-22 (boutique builder)

-Jason

Has anybody played through the Marshall 85th model?
I just wondered how they sound, ive seen them for some very good prices, and im quite interested, coz im a huge lover of marshalls!

Rus

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

what about orange amps? anyone have any experience with these?

vinceesquire wrote:

what about orange amps? anyone have any experience with these?

In not a HUGE fan, maybe a big one lol. They are very good amps, some are a little pricey in some places, but overall, the majority of them can sound awesome

Rus

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

I tried an Orange Tiny Terror combo once... I really liked it. However, it's kind of too small for a live gig- and it has only one channel which could be a shortfall at that price. Tonewise, it's really got alot of range. Don't let 3 simple buttons fool you- much more to it.  Thing is, for that same money (about 800 clams)- I found much more complete amplifiers that were totally capable for live playing- or home.  A Rocker 30 might be the better amp- with a cabinet that would work fine... but the Rocker 30 costs almost twice as much.

"All You have to do is write one true sentence..." E. Hemingway

Right now it's my modded 68 Vibrolux. The mod makes it one of those "go anywhere" amps.
I can get Fender, Marshall, or even Vox tones depending on what tubes I use.

Anybody checked out Kingsley amps? They sound really great!!

i mainly use a fender blues deluxe reissue. i think this amp has it's lovers and loathers.
the clean channel is wonderful, i really like the sound i get with my les pauls and strat. the drive channel tends to lack mid and some bottom end. normally i tend to just use the clean channel and use my few choice pedals for dirty/lead tones.

Fender 60's Strat>Fulltone OCD V4>>TC Electronics Polytune>Orange Dual Terror>Torres 2x10 Cab(with a vintage 30 and a greenback)

82 (edited by Louis 2008-12-14 00:56:11)

I bought my first amplifier today... I was considering the Marshall MG250 DFX, which I still say is a real good first solid state unit... but I tried something different today which I got a great deal on: The FM 212 DSP from Fender.  They made it due to many requests following the FM25 DSP and the FM65DSP... 
  When it comes to distortion out of the box - the Marshall still has the upper hand, but there are ways to get around that issue (like the Carl Martin Hot Drive and Boost Joe used to play or the new Blackstar DH or Dual DH with the 300V tube pre-amp). With that in mind, the Fender give you much more flexibility than the Marshall... IMHO. The Fender 212 has two 12" speakers like the Marshall- believe me, it's still 100 watts... Loud.
   However, unlike the MG250DFX, the FM 212 DSP has more useable effects. While the Marshall has the upper hand in Distortion, the Fender has 8 Amp Models for each of the 2 channels... The British Crunch, Tweed and Hot Rod are my favorites... and, the Chorus, Delay and Reverb are a little bit better than the Marshall. These FX are blendable- even though the other three effects (Flange, Trem and Vibratone) are less likely ones I'd use.
   To this, add the fact that the regular retail on the Fender is $100 LESS than the Marshall- paying more doesn't always mean you get a better sound. My friends at Guitar Center in Charlotte were there at the show with me - when Joe was here in October... and they had the 212 DSP on sale for $365+ for December. I had a 10% coupon on my last flyer, so, I was out the door for less than $350.00 smile  With a deal like that, I'm even pushing Joe's $400.00 Lab Series... deal. 
   Has Anyone else got experience with the Blackstar amps or pedals? I want some more feedback before I get my distortion pedal... And given what I've read here, I'll deffinitely want to run the tube pre-amp through the effects loop in back.

"All You have to do is write one true sentence..." E. Hemingway

Marshall JVM 410 H (anybody here using a JVM?)
Petersburg P-100 (Jimmy Page used such amps on his London Led Zep gig)

Both together sound great!

isn't the petersberg an orange style amp? i think i recall something like that from a magazine.

Fender 60's Strat>Fulltone OCD V4>>TC Electronics Polytune>Orange Dual Terror>Torres 2x10 Cab(with a vintage 30 and a greenback)

No - it is a JCM 800 clone. The developer is a german named Ralf Reichen who is driving his own company in Cologne as a guitar tech building and tuning amps and pedals. He also is the developer of the awarded SPL Transducer. Nice guy!

In the 80s he found people in Petersburg (Russia) who made this amps for a while. They used only heavy duty parts for these amps. Real oversized transformers. The P-100 is driven by 4 x 6L6 tubes. The sound is much more powerful than a real JCM 800. The clean tone is just perfectly made for pedals in front of the amp.

They used to sell for about 350-400 Euro on Ebay. Well worth the money! I recently sold 2 of them.

that sounds really nice. i keep toying with getting a new amp or second amp to got with my blues deluxe. i really want a marshall kinda tone, do they do a petersburg combo? i'm not much of a stack fan.

The Petersburg amps are discontinued. Hard to find now. Never heard of a combo.

i have been thinking of a marshall bluebreaker combo and the blue deluxe run together.

This weekend, I saw Cetan Clawson - very Hendrix-y.

He was running a Fender Deluxe (tweed) alonside a Marshall 1/2 Stack.
Sounded really good. Local Detroit kid. Plays right handed, even solos lefthanded... pretty entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ4y9nMtzfo

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool