Re: What is your amp of choice?

I was in this 'axe factor' on monday night, we all took turns to play with each other, and i was lucky enough to try out other peoples rigs!
Yep, i got to try two marshalls...
A vintage modern combo, AND and JCM 2000, yes, they were great, and sounded better the louder it turned up, theyre just fantastic!!!
Scagey

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

I'm using a Hughes & Kettner Trilogy and a modded Marshall JCM800 into a Marshall '36 2x12" with vintage celestions.

The clean channel on the H&K is unbelievable, especially with a t.c. electronic SCF (chorus) in the fx loop, although I'm still struggling to find my lead tone out of it - which is why the 800 head still gets hauled about. sad   

Dream ticket would be a 2x12" combo with aforementioned clean tone and a Joe-like lead sound.

I'll keep looking. smile

Shredderman14 - an ex band-mate has the vintage modern combo and adores it. He used to gig with a JCM 2000 full stack, but much prefers the VM from all accounts.

I used to Rock a H&K

I play Rivera now. A 1x12 55watt combo amp. I can put it through a Marshall 4x12 and it really barks!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I'm enjoying my Budda Superdrive 18.  I also have a Fender Super Sonic for those days I need some ultra clean tones.

I spent the morning tinkering with aforementioned H&K and JCM 800, trying to get all of the sounds that I want out of just one of them. I have to say, the 800 is winning so far, despite the obvious handicap that it doesn't glow blue. smile

I grabbed a quick photo while it was all set up:  link to photo.

I have a Marshall that i like a lot, but if I were to pick one amp...

I have an 1983 Hiwatt combo that is an "OL" model - one more gain stage than a typical Hiwatt.
That amp kills everything else I've played.  Pleanty of gain but way more definition than my Marshall.
It reproduces everything you play accurately with lots of balls.  Only downside is that it
reproduces all your mistakes amazingly well, too.  It's only 50 watts and 1-12" speaker, but will keep up with a 100 watt Marshall half stack !!

Craig's Guitar Tech Resource - free information online.
Guitar Repair and Customization in Northeast Ohio since 1979.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com

Germino 55LV head and Germino club 40 head this are time machines to the late 60's and early 70's amazing sound and quality 100 watter marshall JMP late 70's..

Hi,

my main amp is a Valvetech Hayseed 30 combo with 2x12 blue bulldogs.
I use the normal channel cranked up with a rangemaster or Fryer deluxe in front.
I can get a sparkly clean sound up to screaming lead only on the vol.pot
of the guitar. It takes my Strat as well as the Les Paul or the Gigliotti.
The sound is amazing.

I made a soundclip video with my 57 goldtop + Valvetech Hayseed + Fryer deluxe Treble Booster. Maybe it takes a while to load. Its 42 MB big.
But I dont know how to make them smaller sized. I work on it....  smile
Let me know your thoughts.

http://s228737690.online.de/images/MOV00571.MPG

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Stratovari wrote:

Hi,

my main amp is a Valvetech Hayseed 30 combo with 2x12 blue bulldogs.
I use the normal channel cranked up with a rangemaster or Fryer deluxe in front.
I can get a sparkly clean sound up to screaming lead only on the vol.pot
of the guitar. It takes my Strat as well as the Les Paul or the Gigliotti.
The sound is amazing.

I made a soundclip video with my 57 goldtop + Valvetech Hayseed + Fryer deluxe Treble Booster. Maybe it takes a while to load. Its 42 MB big.
But I dont know how to make them smaller sized. I work on it....  smile
Let me know your thoughts.

http://s228737690.online.de/images/MOV00571.MPG

Alex

That's a nice sounding amp (and LP), Alex. Very articulate, no hiding behind that amp. I'd like to hear how it sounds with an OD in front (Fulldrive or BBpreamp), to add a little hair for leads.

Hi Ken,

I know what you mean. The lead seems to sound a tad clean.
But I never felt there's gain missing. The full cranked amp + the treble booster
is very much a Brian May/Gallagher thing which I always liked and practiced.
For the strat I have an extra leadbooster (Electro lead Novo Classic) but for the LP
one booster is really enough.

By the way, I found Joe is playing with relatively low gain settings too.

all th best
Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Hi Alex,
I agree, I love the way the amp and guitar sounds on the video. I was just curious as to how it takes OD pedals. That's a great sounding amp, for a reasonable price.

How does it sound at more moderate volume levels?

Not saying that you are trying to emulate Joe's sound, but he does have OD and a fuzz face (for the Cat 5) that he kicks on when he goes into a lead break. He also has reverb and delay that fills out the sound quite a bit.

Ken

Yes I understand. Actually I have 2 tubescreamers. They sound pretty good.
Somebody recommended a Fulltone OCD because it hasn't those strong mids.
I also use effects (But not in the video, i wanted the sound very dry here)
I have a Eventide Timefactor delay in the fx loop and also a slight permanent
reverb (the Hayseeds inbuilt reverb is excellent!).
As the Hayseed is full up I can control the gain on my vol.pot from clean
to insane. I really like that.

I will make another recording with the Gigliotti soon.
And then with effects! wink

All the best
Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Alex

Thats a great tone you've got there that fryer is just stunning with your setup.  Well done

Neil

Fender Stratocaster,  2005 Burns Brian May Sig, 2006 BMG Brian May Signature,  Greg Covington Fireplace Ultra Treble Booster, RAT Electronics Valve Junior Head & Cab & TC Eelctronics G Sharp

www.polr.co.uk

Thanks.
Yes Neil, and funnily its based on the Brian May setup. big_smile
Its like there MUST be a TB in chain....

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Alex

Do you have the Curly Wig and Clogs by any chance?  I hear its a great upgrade to anyones Brian May Setup.

Neil

Fender Stratocaster,  2005 Burns Brian May Sig, 2006 BMG Brian May Signature,  Greg Covington Fireplace Ultra Treble Booster, RAT Electronics Valve Junior Head & Cab & TC Eelctronics G Sharp

www.polr.co.uk

Yes these are essential ingrediants to get it right!!
Just need a girl named Anity now. lol

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Thinkin of gettin another marshall, shame i cant get my hands on a jubilee!
but im really into the vintage modern amps, if you havent played em, its like the older marshalls, with two pre gains, ones bright, ones mellow, and when you mix em together, you get all beautiful tones, and then you have a modern sounding eq, but it doesnt affect that vintage gain sound, and when it all comes together with a bit of reverb, it sounds great!

Scagey

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

My dream amp right no would be the Two Rock, I first hear Matt Schofield using one and was stunned by it. Now JB and John Mayer are using them too so they must be good smile ... mind you I can't see me every being able to afford one. I'm currently using a Messa Boogie RectoVerb 50 Combo, I'm having Valve trouble at the moment but when its got the right valves in it I'd stack it up against anything, its staggeringly good when its cookin'