Re: The real reason for this website?

JBrules wrote:

I get your point Karen, and agree with it to an extent .Though I really enjoy most of
the posts on here , and the personal stories.( i feel they add to the whole Joe
experience. )
   That said I've never understood the people who use this forum to toot thier own
horn. There's lots of good folk on here that do alot to help promote Joe and other
artists . Most dont need to let everyone know . Others  make sure everyone takes
notice of every little thing they do ( guess it boosts their self-esteem ).
   There's ways to tell of personal experiences without sounding self-indulgent.
If you need a pat on the back for every good thing you do join a ( team sport )
Otherwise remember it's about Joe and the music  not YOU .

                                                                       Cheers  Paul

I occasionally share what I've done to promote Joe. Here I thought I was sharing promotional ideas with other fans that want to spread the the word. I never realized I was "tooting my own horn".

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Re: The real reason for this website?

C'mon Bill, honk it loud and honk it proud!!!!! EXPRESS YOURSELF!!!!!!

                                                                                                Think Green,

                                                                                                J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Re: The real reason for this website?

Bill S wrote:
JBrules wrote:

I get your point Karen, and agree with it to an extent .Though I really enjoy most of
the posts on here , and the personal stories.( i feel they add to the whole Joe
experience. )
   That said I've never understood the people who use this forum to toot thier own
horn. There's lots of good folk on here that do alot to help promote Joe and other
artists . Most dont need to let everyone know . Others  make sure everyone takes
notice of every little thing they do ( guess it boosts their self-esteem ).
   There's ways to tell of personal experiences without sounding self-indulgent.
If you need a pat on the back for every good thing you do join a ( team sport )
Otherwise remember it's about Joe and the music  not YOU .

                                                                       Cheers  Paul

I occasionally share what I've done to promote Joe. Here I thought I was sharing promotional ideas with other fans that want to spread the the word. I never realized I was "tooting my own horn".

It ain't you Bill.  He's talking about one of your neighbors.

ormemaybe.
yuketyyuk

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Re: The real reason for this website?

Shouldn't this thread be in the off topics?  Kidding, and I have to agree with most here that it's Joe's site and he likes it just the way it is.

Take care everyone. And if I don't meet you no more in this world
Then ill, I'll meet you in the next one and don't be late, don't be late

Re: The real reason for this website?

ohiodawg13 wrote:

C'mon Bill, honk it loud and honk it proud!!!!! EXPRESS YOURSELF!!!!!!

                                                                                                Think Green,

                                                                                                J Dawg

Thanks for the encouragement J Dawg, but I wouldn't want to sound self-indulgent. :-)

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Re: The real reason for this website?

Harsh dude...that was completely unnecessary. His post was reasonably thought out, and it was on topic for where he posted it.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Re: The real reason for this website?

I thought this was a very interesting topic. I didn't much care for the title of this or Darrin's topic but nontheless I found the discussion interesting. I agree with Karen on a point and I agree with everyone else too.

Karen. The reason for the website is all that you say it is. The reason for the forum is all everybody else says it is. Yes the forum is a tool for promotion. But that is not it's only purpose. It keeps people coming back to see what is going on with the activity that goes on here. If it were pared down to a couple of posts a day containing the facts and only the facts there would be decreased traffic not increased in my opionion.

We have had a few complaints about banter back and forth that might be better off carried on offsite via e-mail.
To do that would require scolding members which would stifle contributions. Without new posts there is no reason to check back often.

As membership grows and contributions grow so might the need for a more heavy handed active moderation. Until then I say read the rules. Nothing says you can't give a little local or personal flavor to your reviews and or comments.

Until I hear a complaint from the boss about how things are going here then I assume things are just fine.

Re: The real reason for this website?

darrflo wrote:

Now that my post that was written with total sarcasm in mind has been deleted, i think some editing would be justifiable. Sorry If I offended anyone. Of course my opinions dont seem to mean didly, so who am I to say. However not only did I hand out the cards, I have handed out countless teaser cd's to friends and local musicians, as well as spreading the word of Joe's music to anyone who will listen. I have NEVER tried to do anything negative in regards to Joe. However when someone goes through the trouble of regestering and on their first and only post talks him down, I feel compelled to fire back. I believe in an eye for an eye. Maybe its the German and Irish i consist of coming out of me. Or maybe I am just an a-hole. That could be why when I saw a regular from here at a show on Friday that I had never met in person, and I went out of my way to say hello, they acted like it was a chore to say hi back let alone have a brief conversation. I enjoy the way this median brings people together.  I guess that is not the point of this website though.

Darrin,

Please check your email........

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

Re: The real reason for this website?

jim m wrote:

I thought this was a very interesting topic. I didn't much care for the title of this or Darrin's topic but nontheless I found the discussion interesting. I agree with Karen on a point and I agree with everyone else too.

Karen. The reason for the website is all that you say it is. The reason for the forum is all everybody else says it is. Yes the forum is a tool for promotion. But that is not it's only purpose. It keeps people coming back to see what is going on with the activity that goes on here. If it were pared down to a couple of posts a day containing the facts and only the facts there would be decreased traffic not increased in my opionion.

We have had a few complaints about banter back and forth that might be better off carried on offsite via e-mail.
To do that would require scolding members which would stifle contributions. Without new posts there is no reason to check back often.

As membership grows and contributions grow so might the need for a more heavy handed active moderation. Until then I say read the rules. Nothing says you can't give a little local or personal flavor to your reviews and or comments.

Until I hear a complaint from the boss about how things are going here then I assume things are just fine.

Jim:
There is something irritating me. 

Karen has a right to her opinion and a right to state it.  I believe we all do.  To state opinions as facts is self centered & irresponsible.  I personally couldn't even get past the "you're all doing it wrong..." tone of her post to say I agreed with some of what she said.

It is a flaw in my own personality, if flaw it be.  I'm grown.  I object to a finger wagging, especially when it involves being told that "my way is the only way"  and includes a laundry list of what it is I NEED to do.  So much better to say "I would prefer ...fol-de-rol..." and let the chips fall where they may.

This forum for the most part is self policing.  As a stone capitalist and a parent, as well as a musician, I am aware that we will lose some people after the first visit.  I think time will show, in life, that if one is true to one's self, your friends will be true. 

Karen:
If you are still here and you have gotten past this session and are willing to allow the common folks who have an already established relationship with one another to peacefully carry on, then please post again.  Share your opinions.  State them as such. 

I agree with you that sometimes we all meander a bit.  That's important to some of us.  So what?  I too grumble online and post my opinion.  I have no clue about what ahybody else NEEDS.  My biggest challenge is me.  That might be true for all of us.

Jim and Phil are fairly even tempered mods.  They work for the BonnaBoss himself. 

Greater is he who conquers himself, than yo even he who conquers a city.  AMEN.

bigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

28 (edited by David A. 2008-06-24 09:04:10)

Re: The real reason for this website?

My Top Ten Reasons for coming to this website:

1.  Learning what is going on about Joe, hopefully from himself!

2.  Show Reviews, really like to hear about the current setlist, venue, crowd, etc.

3.  New Album/CD updates, what any new Joe CD is about.

4.  What fellow street teamers are doing to promote Joe.

5.  Past Joe experiences are always cool.

6.  Meeting fellow Joe fans, have met many great Joe fans over the years.

7.  Upcoming shows, who is going, etc.

8.  Cool pictures/videos, great to see pictures, someone said "A picture is worth a thousand words".

9.  Get a break from work!

10. Learning about other Artists, it is really cool to learn about some other music.

Remember this is my top ten list.  If I see something I don't like on the forum or certain posters, I just avoid reading them.  I don't get hung up on other peoples opinions.  I don't like Joe bashing at all or about any of his current or former band members, they are people with feelings too.

So there you have it!!!!!

Music is good for the Soul...

Re: The real reason for this website?

Big Jeff.
I guess what it all boils down to is that it is not what is said but how you say it.

Darrin,
There is nobody that appreciates a little sarcastic humor more than I. The problem with it is not everybody gets it. It is a lot faster to delete than to edit. Sorry it was late but the real reason is the flame throwing between members.

I removed the post and revoked the membership of the guy who threw rocks in the house then left. I am always impressed how the forum handles those types. Kill em with kindness. That is why this place is what it is. There is very little moderation needed considering the traffic. We used to delete and ban first not giving anyone a chance to further explain their post. Because of the forums general attitude with dealing with these types of posts it just seems harsh at times. I have jumped the gun early in the past and had to reconsider the fast on the ban policy. As someone said this place polices itself.

Karen does have a right to express her opionion here. Post count is not a prerequisite for being able to do that. I feel that her problems are more her problems than the forums but I do know that threads get sidetracked at times. We all have the right to not read something if it doesn't interest us.

Re: The real reason for this website?

Thank you Jim for that and the thankless job you do, and BTW Rhonda Dear I'm a street teamer too.  Darrin, I get it, too.  Calm prevails.

Ok I'm done here.
Thanks for having me.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Re: The real reason for this website?

no one really posts anything not music related in this forum.  there is and always has been an off topics forum?  what was the point of this exactly i am confused i miss a few days on here here or there but was there a big flood of bs topics or something?  doesnt off topics have this covered?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

Re: The real reason for this website?

Until Rolling Stone omitted Joe from their top 20 young guitar guns, I had no idea what a forum was. I came here and posted my ire and found some of the greatest music fans on the planet. I've stayed because of them. I can come here and gush about Joe's music and have a stranger say "I know exactly how you feel". I can read about a member's excitement prior to and after a show. That allows me to share that experience and excitement.
   The other artist thread has been an education. Proof to me that Joe fans have great taste. And we all wear our Joe shirts to shows. Free PR.
   As for quirks of various members...that's what you get in a family, and this IS a family. The wisest thing to do is avoid posts that don't appeal to you.
   I hope all new members feel welcomed and that their opinions count. I agree with Jim..It's all about HOW you say it. Yes, it's true, if a person comes here just to dis Joe, there will be consequences. Again, families take care of each other.
   I remember last X-mas's note from Joe. He said we were his friends. That really touched me. This world class musician is humble enough to give great value to each of us. Thank you Joe for the music and for being such a wonderful person.
   Let's all do Joe proud!!!        Cathy

Re: The real reason for this website?

i love the other artists forum.  it gives me faith that there are still fans of real music out there.  it is where i get i'd say at least half of my new artists.  yes there are some great people here who i hope to meet some day who are into spreading the word trading and sharing good music and i can't speak of them highly enough

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

Re: The real reason for this website?

cathysiler wrote:

Until Rolling Stone omitted Joe from their top 20 young guitar guns, I had no idea what a forum was. I came here and posted my ire and found some of the greatest music fans on the planet. I've stayed because of them. I can come here and gush about Joe's music and have a stranger say "I know exactly how you feel". I can read about a member's excitement prior to and after a show. That allows me to share that experience and excitement.
   The other artist thread has been an education. Proof to me that Joe fans have great taste. And we all wear our Joe shirts to shows. Free PR.
   As for quirks of various members...that's what you get in a family, and this IS a family. The wisest thing to do is avoid posts that don't appeal to you.
   I hope all new members feel welcomed and that their opinions count. I agree with Jim..It's all about HOW you say it. Yes, it's true, if a person comes here just to dis Joe, there will be consequences. Again, families take care of each other.
   I remember last X-mas's note from Joe. He said we were his friends. That really touched me. This world class musician is humble enough to give great value to each of us. Thank you Joe for the music and for being such a wonderful person.
   Let's all do Joe proud!!!        Cathy

Cheers Cathy, don't think I could have put it better myself!! Everything is here in it's rightful place. People can take as much from it, or as little as they want. I've learnt so much about Joe, his music, his fans, his gear, his favourite artists, his fans favourite artists, his fans own musical projects (nod to BFTB). It all comes back to Joe at the end of the day. We are all here through a common bond, and so what if we meander here or there....just don't read it if you don't want to! Great friendships, and relationships have been formed even in the short time I've been posting here, and I've enjoyed reading about those people, and will hopefully socialize with some of those people at future Joe shows at some point in the near future. There are a lot of genuinely great people in here, with great stories and experiences to share, and feelings to vent, and that's what keeps me coming back...every day....several times a day!!

Sorry Cathy....there I was complimenting you on your post, and I ended up throwing my two cents worth in as well!! D'oh!! smile

"Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman."
                                                                                                   Ludwig Van Beethoven

35

Re: The real reason for this website?

suhl wrote:

i love the other artists forum.  it gives me faith that there are still fans of real music out there.  it is where i get i'd say at least half of my new artists.  yes there are some great people here who i hope to meet some day who are into spreading the word trading and sharing good music and i can't speak of them highly enough

Oh yes, I couldn´t agree more. Heaven sent me this forum when I was lying on the floor crying about myself being the only one who has a good taste in music lol !

No honestly, I have heard and seen so many great new aritsts through this forum and learned so many new things about music - it´s like Bluesrock University (another inside joke, right J Dawg? wink). Thank you all for that!

Eva

Re: The real reason for this website?

My only thoughts on this subject:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yjnvSQuv-H4

lol

If heartaches were nickels
I'd be the richest fool alive