Topic: The real reason for this website?

As a huge Joe Bonamassa fan I check in frequently to the website to read show reviews and get up to date info on the latest with Joe and the band. I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of music news when reading the show reviews. One out of five reviews mention the set list that the band played, but for the most part the show reviews and set lists are turning into a virtual networking site for everyone to relay messages to each other on.  I am a great believer in networking, however there is a place for networking and relaying messages and it does not belong in show reviews and set lists.

Fans who are checking this part of the forum want music news on Joe and the band and comments, which have no musical relevance, should be posted in another part of the forum or better still fans should start exchanging e-mails so you can talk about how you got lost going to the show, how your best buddy could not make the show, well you know the rest. Its important to remember the premise of this website ( which to remind some) was created to support an amazing artist in his journey to become an established artist in the Blues World.

While Joe and his band are out on the road promoting his current and upcoming albums lets not forget the hard work that is involved in becoming an established artist. If we are to support Joe and the band in their musical journey we need to keep the focus on his music. Now that the website has a new look perhaps the messages left can now be all of a musical significance, something a true blues music fan will appreciate reading.


Karen.

Re: The real reason for this website?

I'd second that but I hate to offend anybody.

Re: The real reason for this website?

Karen
Im not so certain that I can agree with your position that this is and should be only for and about Joe's music, without  any of the personal touch. This area is not quite the same as picking up a magazine at the store and reading a review about your favorite musician,. This is an interactive area where fans interact by their reviews which often have their personal experiences at the shows mixed in with their review. Many of these people have been out here for years being not only  fans but also doing incredible amounts of work promoting Joe in many various ways, from lobbying radio stations to play Joes material to contacting and urging promotors to book him in their area, putting up posters, taking beautiful pictures and posting them for others to see etc. Its so much more than a sterile magazine type of a deal. I cant tell you how many lasting friendships have been formed on this site and these are real people who mean something to others here and in my opinion thats what has helped make this such a great site, for many its almost like family, but even with the fact that so many have been here for years its still a very open and friendly site for newcomers to visit .


Bob


karahig wrote:

As a huge Joe Bonamassa fan I check in frequently to the website to read show reviews and get up to date info on the latest with Joe and the band. I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of music news when reading the show reviews. One out of five reviews mention the set list that the band played, but for the most part the show reviews and set lists are turning into a virtual networking site for everyone to relay messages to each other on.  I am a great believer in networking, however there is a place for networking and relaying messages and it does not belong in show reviews and set lists.

Fans who are checking this part of the forum want music news on Joe and the band and comments, which have no musical relevance, should be posted in another part of the forum or better still fans should start exchanging e-mails so you can talk about how you got lost going to the show, how your best buddy could not make the show, well you know the rest. Its important to remember the premise of this website ( which to remind some) was created to support an amazing artist in his journey to become an established artist in the Blues World.

While Joe and his band are out on the road promoting his current and upcoming albums lets not forget the hard work that is involved in becoming an established artist. If we are to support Joe and the band in their musical journey we need to keep the focus on his music. Now that the website has a new look perhaps the messages left can now be all of a musical significance, something a true blues music fan will appreciate reading.


Karen.

4 (edited by Deezer 2008-06-22 20:21:03)

Re: The real reason for this website?

I don't agree a bit with what you're saying. Not one iota. This forum is fine just the way it is. Period. You want to read about Joe's shows, there's the Shows and Setlists thread. People create relationships on this board, and those relationships revolve around Joe's music. If you don't like it, not my problem. We have moderators here, and they moderate according to Joe's wishes. Joe posts here as well (quite frequently I might add) and if he didn't like the direction this forum is heading, I am sure he would not post here or he would delete this forum entirely.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Re: The real reason for this website?

As Deezer says, there are different parts of the forum for different topics. Show reviews and setlists has a special section and is a great place to look if you want to know about Joe's shows and the songs he played.
I do agree that General Topics should be general topics about Joe, ie mention of upcoming tour dates, his Sirius broadcasts and other Joe related news (rather than say someone's travel blog, or dodgy youtube link to their own band).
Other artists is a great topic and I am very happy that I have been able to learn of other great artists through that part of the forum. The technical part I guess is great for guitar players, while the introduction page is generally used by new forum members who like to express how they found Joe and what his music means to them.
There is an other topics part of the forum which everything else can be put in, and I have expressed an opinion at times that some of the posts put under general topics should be inserted there and rather than this section of the forum. So I do understand slightly where you are coming from, but I do think for the most part the forum members do use the correct part of the forum. If you do feel a post is not in the correct part of the forum, I'd suggest you put a comment below the post in question. Remember though, we are all here due to our love of Joe's music! smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Re: The real reason for this website?

Nicely said Bob!
Karen I think I understand what your are saying somewhat as there is alot of 'too much information' and I am responsible for a bit of that. Your examples though aren't about the TMI stuff that irks me always. Like for instance I posted, along with my show comments, comments about my travels to and from the recent show I attended because from my perspective it sort of helped explained how I was feeling which sorta affects how I experienced the show and what I was able to focus on to report back about. Or maybe feedback to Joe as to why I wasn't as enthusiastic as an audience member as other times.
Like others have said many of us have made friendships because of this place and the off comment here or there that has brought us together and in turn makes the concert experience better.
I never knew exactly what the 'reason' for the website was but i do try to keep it about Joe. As someone with tons of posts i feel hypocrtical commenting on this sort of thread but i do get irritated if there is something off topic, or something not about Joe or related thats not posted under off topics , and i know others who are frustrated with that and also how its harder to keep up with Joe news with so much else to sort through first, but as far as reviews and setlists, I personally am interested in people's whole experiences revolving around the show.

Re: The real reason for this website?

I have to disagree, Karen ... I think the reason for a forum is communication between people. And that´s what we´re doing.

Yes, this is Joe´s forum, but it´s not only an "information tool" about Joe, but also a place to meet for his fans - and that´s what makes it special. This forum wouldn´t mean nearly half as much to me if it was just another source of information about Joe - I wouldn´t come here each day and read through a lot of the posts then. It´s the people who participate here who make it so special - and you kind of "get to know them" through their comments and stories that don´t necessarily have to have "musical relevance" as you called it. As mentioned before, this forum has made many friendships possible that wouldn´t have a chance to exist without it ... I´m very thankful for that and wouldn´t want to miss it.

But I can also understand your opinion, because we all have developed some inside jokes (see speedo) and invented certain words (see Bonamaglossary) that might sound like nonsense to someone who is new to the forum - and might have nothing to do with Joe and his music as well, that´s right. Maybe some of us overdo things sometimes, but that´s just like in real life wink. And most of us like reading the show reviews WITH the personal stories, because it´s like a friend telling you about his concert experience to make you feel like you were there also. I think the place for "hard facts" and professional show reviews with musical content only is the main website. The forum is the place for discussion, for personal stories, for getting together. And as Greenrose mentioned - we have the different sections to post different contents.
I think Libby´s idea with the coloured letters in her show review is a good one - so everyone can see where the "musical" part about the Joe concert starts and you can leave out the rest if that´s not of interest to you - you might miss something if you don´t read it, but that´s your decicion wink.

So much for now....

Eva

Re: The real reason for this website?

Karen,
I have to agree with Bob, but I understand where you're coming from.
I occasionally come across a very long review that I am not in the mood to read (that doesn't happen too often).
My suggestion is to do what I do: move to the next comment or to the next review.
If you want a simple review of a particular show, you can do a google search. Better yet, sign up for "google alerts" and they'll send reviews directly to your e-mail address.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Re: The real reason for this website?

I get your point Karen, and agree with it to an extent .Though I really enjoy most of
the posts on here , and the personal stories.( i feel they add to the whole Joe
experience. )
   That said I've never understood the people who use this forum to toot thier own
horn. There's lots of good folk on here that do alot to help promote Joe and other
artists . Most dont need to let everyone know . Others  make sure everyone takes
notice of every little thing they do ( guess it boosts their self-esteem ).
   There's ways to tell of personal experiences without sounding self-indulgent.
If you need a pat on the back for every good thing you do join a ( team sport )
Otherwise remember it's about Joe and the music  not YOU .

                                                                       Cheers  Paul

10 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2008-06-23 10:45:53)

Re: The real reason for this website?

karahig wrote:

Fans who are checking this part of the forum want music news on Joe and the band and comments, which have no musical relevance, should be posted in another part of the forum or better still fans should start exchanging e-mails so you can talk about how you got lost going to the show, how your best buddy could not make the show, well you know the rest. Its important to remember the premise of this website ( which to remind some) was created to support an amazing artist in his journey to become an established artist in the Blues World.

Karen.

Here :
Setlists and reviews
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=10

media interviews
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4888

I think that about does it.

Fletcher wrote:

I'd second that but I hate to offend anybody.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.


The blues fans on this earth are one big community. This here is Joe's fan base. If anybody wants to give a big review in detail of any Joe bonamassa show, it is appreciated and/or encouraged. I just warn you not to confuse a message board for fans with a media board for the possibly apathetic. if you want to find media-esque reviews, you can find them. I'm glad that's not ALL this website is for.

A "reason" for the website is simple. It's a way of exposure...
Go to John Mayer's message board - there's circus...and its a 12-16 yr old banter.   roll

I, on a personal note have gotten feedback on anything guitar or gear related straight from Joe himself 70% of the time...the other 30% comes from the quality knowledge base of other guitar players that frequent the forum.

I also think that enough people know of eachother where if we decide to travel to a different state, we can meet up with other Joe fans on the forum... so it's not "I got lost on the way to the concert" its "HEY - I'm going to the Freedom Hill show - who wants to meet up!?"

And let's not forget about the bonametal quest...looks like you got a ways to go wink

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

11 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2008-06-23 11:02:56)

Re: The real reason for this website?

This forum would not be the same if we weren't constantly relaying messages to each other.  And I agree with what Eva said, Libby's idea of putting the actual concert experience under a colored heading was a great idea because there was a lot to tell! It was a festival for God's sake! But if the personal comments and little stories bug you then don't read them, it's that simple. Personally I think thats what makes this forum so unique.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Re: The real reason for this website?

Sometimes this is the place that some members need to bare their souls in a time of need or crisis. You could go to a shrink or see your favorite bartender or the person who cuts your hair, but the forum has a family atmosphere that money can't buy. Just take what you need and leave the rest. There's something here for everybody and thanks to JB for inviting us in.

                                                                                                 Think Green,

                                                                                                 J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Re: The real reason for this website?

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Sometimes this is the place that some members need to bare their souls in a time of need or crisis. You could go to a shrink or see your favorite bartender or the person who cuts your hair, but the forum has a family atmosphere that money can't buy. Just take what you need and leave the rest. There's something here for everybody and thanks to JB for inviting us in.

                                                                                                 Think Green,

                                                                                                 J Dawg

That just about sums it up perfectly for me.

A green thumbs up!

George

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Re: The real reason for this website?

karahig wrote:

As a huge Joe Bonamassa fan I check in frequently to the website to read show reviews and get up to date info on the latest with Joe and the band. I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of music news when reading the show reviews. One out of five reviews mention the set list that the band played, but for the most part the show reviews and set lists are turning into a virtual networking site for everyone to relay messages to each other on.  I am a great believer in networking, however there is a place for networking and relaying messages and it does not belong in show reviews and set lists.

Fans who are checking this part of the forum want music news on Joe and the band and comments, which have no musical relevance, should be posted in another part of the forum or better still fans should start exchanging e-mails so you can talk about how you got lost going to the show, how your best buddy could not make the show, well you know the rest. Its important to remember the premise of this website ( which to remind some) was created to support an amazing artist in his journey to become an established artist in the Blues World.

While Joe and his band are out on the road promoting his current and upcoming albums lets not forget the hard work that is involved in becoming an established artist. If we are to support Joe and the band in their musical journey we need to keep the focus on his music. Now that the website has a new look perhaps the messages left can now be all of a musical significance, something a true blues music fan will appreciate reading.


Karen.

15 posts and you know what everybody here wants and the premise under which the website was created...AND what we all NEED to do.

Then: if we are to support... then we need to keep focus on his music...It appears to me that you are focused on what you want. 

Thanks for sharing.  Keep coming back,

Here's some musical significance...F#7th.  That is an inside joke.  and the joke is on me.

Peace, love, blues and the abstract truth, which if you know it, shall set you free.

Do you know Joe?

BJJ
FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Re: The real reason for this website?

JBrules wrote:

I get your point Karen, and agree with it to an extent .Though I really enjoy most of
the posts on here , and the personal stories.( i feel they add to the whole Joe
experience. )
   That said I've never understood the people who use this forum to toot thier own
horn. There's lots of good folk on here that do alot to help promote Joe and other
artists . Most dont need to let everyone know . Others  make sure everyone takes
notice of every little thing they do ( guess it boosts their self-esteem ).
   There's ways to tell of personal experiences without sounding self-indulgent.
If you need a pat on the back for every good thing you do join a ( team sport )
Otherwise remember it's about Joe and the music  not YOU .

                                                                       Cheers  Paul

GOOD ONE!  TOOT TOOT!  lol wink

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

16 (edited by gsj 2008-06-23 15:28:46)

Re: The real reason for this website?

Yep, me too. This place is just fine the way it is and has, as previously been said, seen the making of real friendships. It's all about Joe in as much as it's all because of Joe.....you will, I'm sure, have noticed that Joe also posts on here on threads that have no direct connection to music.....good enough for Joe, good enough for us. Read what interests you and skip the rest if you must but you will be missing out on some real life moments and some wonderful humour. All human life is here smile

Geoff

Amsterhammer wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:

Sometimes this is the place that some members need to bare their souls in a time of need or crisis. You could go to a shrink or see your favorite bartender or the person who cuts your hair, but the forum has a family atmosphere that money can't buy. Just take what you need and leave the rest. There's something here for everybody and thanks to JB for inviting us in.

                                                                                                 Think Green,

                                                                                                 J Dawg

That just about sums it up perfectly for me.

A green thumbs up!

George

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

17 (edited by ohiodawg13 2008-06-23 15:32:29)

Re: The real reason for this website?

Big JJ, SHAMELESS and I'm lovin' it!!! Hey wait a second, I resemble that remark, and nay do I care for everyday is the bonus round. D,C,G where the skies are soooooooo blue.

                                                                                         Think Funky Green,

                                                                                         J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Re: The real reason for this website?

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Big JJ, SHAMELESS and I'm lovin' it!!! Hey wait a second, I resemble that remark, and nay do I care for everyday is the bonus round. D,C,G where the skies are soooooooo blue.

                                                                                         Think Funky Green,

                                                                                         J Dawg

I'm with youse guys.

D,C,G where the days are sooooo sunny too,
Jack cool

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe