Topic: A Hard Road

Having recently run across John Mayall and Bluesbreakers A Hard Road with bonus tracks and bonus CD it comes increasingly apparent  how much Joe is a student of the British masters. Of course we all know Joe’s nod to Clapton with Steppin Out-Rice Pudding from the Bluesbreaker album.

With the release of You and Me. Joe gives equal time to my favorite British blues player Peter Green. So Many Roads recorded during the Hard Road sessions and released as a single in 1966. The tone of Peter’s guitar with a similar reverb effect has been reproduced pretty faithfully. Also on the bonus disc is Your Funeral My Trial the Sonny Boy Williamson song Mayall covered and Green guested on also is on You and Me. Young LD Miller of course plays rings around Mayall on Joe’s version.

Another observation. Joe seems to of drifted away from the predominate Stratocaster sound we have grown accustomed to for the Gibson Les Paul which was used frequently by the British Bluesmen. At a recent show here he played nothing but G guitars. Gibson’s and Gigliotti’s  with the exception of the gold sparkle Strat for the encore. This made for a unique show where even Blues Deluxe was approached in a much different manner. Not as much Violin but amazingly enough Joe can pull that off even on a Paul. What drew me to Joe at the first live performance was his clarity of sound out of a Strat even with effects. He amazes me even more with what he does with a Les Paul. I think it is a much harder guitar to get a clear defined sound out of. He manages to accomplish this like few others can. 

Jane we may not of gotten Green Manalishi but I feel I got my Green tribute from You and Me. Thanks Joe.

jim m

2 (edited by 2TSB 2006-04-28 23:02:09)

Re: A Hard Road

He does do some amazing sounding stuff with the les pauls..but I don't think it's hard to get a clear, defined sound from a les paul, if anything it's an easier instrument to play than a fender type. Les Pauls have fantastic clean tones as well as biting drive tones. It's a great guitar for the blues.

"You jump in front of my car when you.. you know all the time.. ninety miles an hour girl is the.. speed I drive.. "

As a non player I make that statement based on the number of guys I have seen fail to make a Les Paul sound good. Good players. Just not a good sound. a lot of notes with out definition. Just an observation from a serious listener.

jim m

4 (edited by Rocket 2006-04-29 09:58:50)

Nice review Jim! Makes waiting to hear the CD until the US release worthwhile as that's what I want is to hear others takes first...(Rice Pudding is Jeff Beck's Beck-Ola)... I agree about the Les Paul sounds, not many players can play it "sweet"

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I'd love to hear Joe on a les paul with P90 soapbar pickups in it... the clean tones from those are unbelievable. Maybe one day he'll break out a nice gold top with those...he must have one..

"You jump in front of my car when you.. you know all the time.. ninety miles an hour girl is the.. speed I drive.. "

Thanks for the correction Rocket. Every day is a school day. And yes 2TSB Joe has one or more.

jim m

All I can say is that I love both Fenders and Gibsons. To me they're the cream of the crop of electric guitars. Although, The Gigliotti may be making me change my mind. Not just because Joe plays them, but I love the look and sound he gets.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

les paul standard has masssive tone...
paul kossoff from free..
jimmy page
eric clapton
billy gibbons
j. bonamassa
These guys are vibrato tone monsters....

Very few traditional strat guys..
Most have hot rod pickups trying to copy
the heavier sounds of the les paul..
I do love a strat though!

There are arguments for both guitars - it depends whose hands it's in.

On the Fender front, you've got Hendrix & Vaughan.
On the Gibson front, you've got Joe & my other favourite, Andy Latimer.

All of these guys play sweet.

"The blues is just a good man feelin' bad"

and let's not forget- Gary Moore !

Strat / Les Paul / Strat / Les Paul / - Change is Good- Variety is Even Better !

I wouldn't classify Joe as a gibson guy.. he mixes it up pretty well.. also Billy Gibbons is the master of tone and he uses both fender and gibsons..and that gretsch.. as a player I love the les paul but I prefer the fenders for feel and tone alike.. just personal preference.. but nothing really gets that classic crunch like a gibson.

12 (edited by Deezer 2006-05-04 19:40:11)

Pretty much since the release of Mescalero Billy has become an exclusive Gretsch guy. I know I've seen five or six different Gretsch's, one even a lime green color (far out!). But that could change in a heartbeat for him, he's always looking for a new thing to tinker with. God bless him. They've even made him a signature guitar, the Billy Bo Thunderbird, or something like that.

Joe's not a Gibson guy, I can't even begin to put just one guitar to his name. I like that though. He has such a variety of different tones, it's awesome.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

2TSB wrote:

I wouldn't classify Joe as a gibson guy.. he mixes it up pretty well.. also Billy Gibbons is the master of tone and he uses both fender and gibsons..and that gretsch.. as a player I love the les paul but I prefer the fenders for feel and tone alike.. just personal preference.. but nothing really gets that classic crunch like a gibson.

An observation I made on my original post was that at a recent show he played a Strat only once and that was the encore. Joe may not be known as a Gibson guy at the moment. I think he will though. This upcoming tour will set the tone so to speak of the direction he is going with guitars. Gibsons are becoming more prevelant on stage and in studio.

jim m

Kat&Jim wrote:

and let's not forget- Gary Moore !

Strat / Les Paul / Strat / Les Paul / - Change is Good- Variety is Even Better !

Just played my copy of Blues For Greeny Gary's tribute to Peter Green. There is some serious Les Paul tone on that. Peter's in fact.

jim m

A post I made a while ago:

http://boardserver.superstats.com/read. … ebonamassa

...yeah Joe manages wonderful to let his Les Paul sound with some Greenish flavour... smile

...on the You & Me record I have the feeling there are even some more very nice influesnces hearable... Led Zep, the good ole BBKing, some screaming wheeping notes remind me to EC...  but the end of the day it still is J.B.   

It's my A1 favourite record at the moment... it's on the computers, in my car, in my stereo-set... simply everywhere... big_smile

Bluez Greeze

Dickey Betts gets some sweet notes from a Les Paul too ! Funny how Kenny Wayne Shepherd was playing one last tour also for someone who was always a Strat player....

..............there's another player who's getting a nice , wonderful , clean defined sound out of a LesPaul ! .................Zakk Wylde !!!!! ......................... bad joke ! sorry ! lol